Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Fat Bob Owners - Things you love/hate?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 03:09 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks for all of the replies. I just got back from test riding the new Fat Boy and Fat Bob. The "Vivid Black" Fat Bob 114 will be in my garage either tonight or tomorrow morning.

I couldn't believe how comfortable it was! Loved it!

Also, I had no handling issues with the huge rear tire on the Fat Boy. Nice bike too!

Last edited by SgtThump; 02-14-2018 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:42 PM
Navyvette
Tourer
Received 168 Likes on 68 Posts

I’m the same on the plate mount. Don’t like it

I love everything else. Just went over 500 miles finally so I can start getting more spirited in riding

Old 02-15-2018, 08:36 AM
beardo
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker72
got any pics of that setup?
No I do not. I lost any desire to take pictures since the demise of Photobucket. Maybe I'll have one of the kids at work help me out.

As for the board set-up, night and day better for me...

Old 02-15-2018, 04:59 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior

Packed up my new Fat Bob 114 this morning. Rare 80 degree day today, which was perfect. Back in the low 30s tomorrow!

Got 120 miles in. Love this bike so far!

Old 02-15-2018, 05:07 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Nice! Enjoy and start saving your pennies for the Torque cam!

Old 02-15-2018, 06:36 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior

So I started this thread to get any last minute feedback. I appreciate all of the input!

I do already have a very minor gripe. The mirrors! Cant see much behind me, but that’s super easily fixed.

Oh... and the grab strap prevented me from removing the seat. Cut the strap, because I planned to remove it anyway! Not sure how to get the seat off the right way? Lol

Last edited by SgtThump; 02-15-2018 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:00 PM
Navyvette
Tourer
Received 168 Likes on 68 Posts

Yea the mirrors let you check out your gun show. switched to the long mirrors and if you pull the seat back unhook the front you can pull it out from underneath the strap forward. I did that and removed it as well.
Enjoy the bike, it’s a great one.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:33 AM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,267 Posts

If you're going to take the seat strap off, you should make extremely certain that your seat screw is properly tightened, and you should probably loc-tite it. If that screw were to come out, there's *nothing* going to hold that seat in place, and that can result in a bad situation. The strap holds the seat on so that even if the screw came off, the seat probably won't.

I have both a Sundowner and a stock seat, and occasionally swap them. I attached both straps simultaneously, and then just fold down the one that's not right for the seat I'm using.

As for the mirrors -- yes, those have to go, I forgot about those, they were literally the first thing I changed -- I rode the bike home from the dealer, and ripped the mirrors off, and replaced them with Harley long-stem tapered mirrors. They look the same as stock, but they're a little wider, and they helped a little. I then got a set of mirror extenders for about $11 from www.banggood.com, and they totally solved the mirror problem, I can now easily see all three lanes behind me.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:17 AM
SgtThump
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
If you're going to take the seat strap off, you should make extremely certain that your seat screw is properly tightened, and you should probably loc-tite it. If that screw were to come out, there's *nothing* going to hold that seat in place, and that can result in a bad situation. The strap holds the seat on so that even if the screw came off, the seat probably won't.

I have both a Sundowner and a stock seat, and occasionally swap them. I attached both straps simultaneously, and then just fold down the one that's not right for the seat I'm using.

As for the mirrors -- yes, those have to go, I forgot about those, they were literally the first thing I changed -- I rode the bike home from the dealer, and ripped the mirrors off, and replaced them with Harley long-stem tapered mirrors. They look the same as stock, but they're a little wider, and they helped a little. I then got a set of mirror extenders for about $11 from www.banggood.com, and they totally solved the mirror problem, I can now easily see all three lanes behind me.
Thanks and I understand. Ive removed the grab strap from a few bikes I’ve owned, just so I don’t have to deal with it when removing the seat. Never had a problem, but I’ll keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the mirror advice!

Old 02-21-2018, 08:53 AM
Pangram
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just picked up a 2018 Fat Bob in vivid black saturday.
As has already noted:
Dislikes
(1) Mirrors-- cant see anything past my elbows
(2) Grips -- nothing new here, almost every Harley I have owned the stock grips sucked.
(3) Can't find a small enough fly screen/windscreen small enough but big enough to keep most of the crap out of my face. Vendors haven't put one out yet that I can find other than Harley's 15" Smoked overpriced unit. Which for me is a bit wider than I would like. Need something more like the 2014 CVO Road Kings screen.

(1) Everything else-- just lovin it... kinda of a mix of the old muscle bikes..

The following users liked this post:
SgtThump (02-21-2018)

Quick Reply: 2018 Fat Bob Owners - Things you love/hate?