Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   Need a new battery questions... (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/1218809-need-a-new-battery-questions.html)

splattttttt 02-15-2018 09:16 AM

Need a new battery questions...

Probably goin with a Deka, but considering lithium.
Are there any major advantages gained by using lithium? Opinions please.

Also was wondering since this is the first time I’ll be disconecting it... Will it delete my saved map that I have installed from fuel moto?
Thanks gang

TeaRunner 02-15-2018 10:10 AM

Map should be retained. Would tell you about the battery but it'll just start a fight with another forum member here who apparently has sexual relations with his Deca batteries.

Mr.Softy 02-15-2018 12:45 PM

The first thing I know about Lithium batteries is they are lighter. the other thing I forgot, which happens alot now.

Da-Rza 21 02-15-2018 01:21 PM

lighter,more cranking amps,and last alot longer..have one now that is 10 years old and still cranking well

rednred 02-15-2018 03:06 PM

When HD battery failed on last bike I went with lithium. It was much stronger, much less dependent on tender, much lighter. Only down side was initial cost - otherwise totally positive.

Originally Posted by Da-Rza 21 (Post 17094080)
lighter,more cranking amps,and last alot longer..have one now that is 10 years old and still cranking well

Rocker B 02-15-2018 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Da-Rza 21 (Post 17094080)

Originally Posted by rednred (Post 17094411)
When HD battery failed on last bike I went with lithium. It was much stronger, much less dependent on tender, much lighter. Only down side was initial cost - otherwise totally positive.

Any recommendations on brands or models? Also, if or when is a tender or charger needed? I've been thinking about switching my bikes over to lithium, my Rocker has a security system and I'm not sure if I'll need a charger because of the constant drain?

vizcarmb 02-15-2018 04:25 PM

good ole cheap dumb battery chargers will charge lithium's properly. Do not get the fancy ones with the desulfation mode or weird do dads. The original battery tender or the Duraboost Battery Maintainer 1000 works. I have the duraboost hooked up to my KTM but as soon as i plug it in, the battery states it's fully charged. That's how awesome these new Lithiums are.

The only quirks that lithiums have is that in the winter when its cold, you have to warm up the battery like you are starting it, wait a few secs and then hit the start again.

Rocker B 02-15-2018 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by vizcarmb (Post 17094657)
good ole cheap dumb battery chargers will charge lithium's properly. Do not get the fancy ones with the desulfation mode or weird do dads. The original battery tender or the Duraboost Battery Maintainer 1000 works. I have the duraboost hooked up to my KTM but as soon as i plug it in, the battery states it's fully charged. That's how awesome these new Lithiums are.

The only quirks that lithiums have is that in the winter when its cold, you have to warm up the battery like you are starting it, wait a few secs and then hit the start again.

That's good to know, I thought (when needed) the lithium's required a specific kind of fairly expensive, charger/tender.

vizcarmb 02-15-2018 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Rocker B (Post 17094719)
That's good to know, I thought (when needed) the lithium's required a specific kind of fairly expensive, charger/tender.

They do make lithium specific chargers which cost less then 50 dollars now, but they are no different from the regular battery chargers out there. So if you do buy one, you can use that to charger regular acid type or gel batteries.

splattttttt 02-15-2018 06:49 PM

Great info. And glad to hear my maps dont need to be re dowloaded
thanks