Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a new 2018 Fat Bob 114...

Old 02-22-2018, 02:27 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,217 Likes on 1,263 Posts

You may or may not need a tuner; the Rineharts are EPA-compliant on the Fat Bob (and only the Fat Bob, IINM) so they may not be that different from the stock pipes in terms of flow. However, be aware that Harley says a re-tune is required if you change to Street Cannons, so ... I don't really see how the Rineharts wouldn't need a recalibration if the Street Cannons do.

Second point in favor of keeping and using the tuner is that because the Rineharts aren't actually Street Cannons, you may be able to do some Smart Tune sessions to get it more dialed in. The Street Cannon tune will probalby get it close, but the Smart Tune feature should be able to get it closer to correct.

Third thing would be that if you ever intend to go with a cam (Stage II) or higher (Stage III or IV) you're going to need a tuner at that point anyway...

The following users liked this post:
westbob66 (02-23-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 02:33 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
You may or may not need a tuner; the Rineharts are EPA-compliant on the Fat Bob (and only the Fat Bob, IINM) so they may not be that different from the stock pipes in terms of flow. However, be aware that Harley says a re-tune is required if you change to Street Cannons, so ... I don't really see how the Rineharts wouldn't need a recalibration if the Street Cannons do.

Second point in favor of keeping and using the tuner is that because the Rineharts aren't actually Street Cannons, you may be able to do some Smart Tune sessions to get it more dialed in. The Street Cannon tune will probalby get it close, but the Smart Tune feature should be able to get it closer to correct.

Third thing would be that if you ever intend to go with a cam (Stage II) or higher (Stage III or IV) you're going to need a tuner at that point anyway...
All great points! Thanks! Everytime I search for 2018 Fat Bob your threads pop up and they've been very helpful. So I appreciate that!

Old 02-22-2018, 03:28 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior

I'm home today and the Fedex guy just came 30 minutes ago.

I wanted a very small swingarm bag that looked a certain way when on the bike. I think I found it with a Willie and Max bag with black buckle!

SEPST is here too. I may mess with that tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll be riding all day tomorrow if the weather cooperates.

Old 02-22-2018, 03:42 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

I loved my 2009 Fat Bob, but Superstorm Sandy took it away from me. Even then, many of us felt that the FXDF was the best handling Harley.

The 2018 'Bob is the closet thing Harley makes to a "naked" sportbike. I took a test ride on one a few months ago, and it was awesome in every way. Best of luck with your new bike.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:26 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior

...I read a review recently where they said the Fat Bob (specifically the 2018) is the anti-Harley Harley. May be true. I know that the batwing & chrome guys would hate what I'm doing with my bike, but I think that's all a good thing -- the batwing & chrome guys can still buy all the Street Glides and Deluxes and Heritages that they want, but now there's a bike from Harley that appeals to the non-traditionalist too.
I will openly admit that I wanted something "different." Over the past 6 months or so, I've considered a few bikes from other makers (Yamaha, Ducati and BMW.) I've only ever ridden Harley's and just wanted something different.

I'd say their move to attract folks that may be considering other brands worked on me! I'm not a young buck at 45, but I'm not a grumpy old man that can't accept change either.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:35 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member

Worked on me too. Always had Hondas growing up, occasional Yamaha or Suzuki.

My first Harley was the Street 750 (which, of course, most of the Harley faithful reject as being not a Harley). It was okay, but I outgrew it in a couple of months. Wanted a V-Rod Night Rod pretty bad, but I just didn't fit on it, legs are too short and I couldn't reach those far-forward controls. I heavily cross-shopped Ducati (love that Diavel and XDiavel), Triumph, the Yamaha VMax, and really, really wanted (and still want) a BMW K1600B. A Softail was the last thing on my mind. Was never even on my radar, until I read some review or other and they praised it so highly, and I thought it looked pretty cool. Went into the Harley store just to see what the fuss was about, and couldn't take my eyes off it. Sat on it, and it fit me like a glove -- take THAT, frickin' sky-high BMWs with your 35-inch seat heights... Made an offer then and there, and after a few days of trying to get me to go higher, they finally accepted it, and I am absolutely thrilled with it. Still want that BMW, if they'd make one that I can fit on. Until then, I'm working on modding the Fat Bob into absolute perfection. Or, as the batwing & chrome guys would say "good lord, what the hell did you do to that bike?"

Last edited by FatBob2018; 02-22-2018 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:26 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior

Worked on me too. Always had Hondas growing up, occasional Yamaha or Suzuki.

My first Harley was the Street 750 (which, of course, most of the Harley faithful reject as being not a Harley). It was okay, but I outgrew it in a couple of months. Wanted a V-Rod Night Rod pretty bad, but I just didn't fit on it, legs are too short and I couldn't reach those far-forward controls. I heavily cross-shopped Ducati (love that Diavel and XDiavel), Triumph, the Yamaha VMax, and really, really wanted (and still want) a BMW K1600B. A Softail was the last thing on my mind. Was never even on my radar, until I read some review or other and they praised it so highly, and I thought it looked pretty cool. Went into the Harley store just to see what the fuss was about, and couldn't take my eyes off it. Sat on it, and it fit me like a glove -- take THAT, frickin' sky-high BMWs with your 35-inch seat heights... Made an offer then and there, and after a few days of trying to get me to go higher, they finally accepted it, and I am absolutely thrilled with it. Still want that BMW, if they'd make one that I can fit on. Until then, I'm working on modding the Fat Bob into absolute perfection. Or, as the batwing & chrome guys would say "good lord, what the hell did you do to that bike?"
I almost fell in love with a BMW R1200RT after sitting on it. I never did take it on a test ride, but it was close to the top of the list for me. Then I came to my senses and realized it was bigtime overkill (for me.)

But yeah, I'm 5' 9" or so and a crapload of bikes are too damn tall!

Last edited by SgtThump; 02-22-2018 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:00 AM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member

The 1200RT is what started me on my quest with BMWs, but the seat height is about five inches higher than the Fat Bob's. By my calculator you'd need about a 36-inch inseam to be comfortable on that. Who has a 36-inch inseam? I mean, besides NBA players... anyway... yes, the lure of the BMWs is strong. But the Harley dealer network cannot be beat...

Old 02-23-2018, 02:42 AM
AK Bacon
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Worked on and ridden many models of Harley..but this is the first one I've owned. Had many Hondas ducatis yamahas kawasaki triumph norton suzuki etc.
Was arrested by the looks and feels and new features of the 2018 fatboy. Bought it outright without a ride.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:00 PM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

Received 285 Likes on 184 Posts

IMHO the heat shields need to be powdercoated black. I've seen a few with slip ons and the shields black. Looks great.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got a new 2018 Fat Bob 114...