Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Heritage owners, any issues to watch for?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 06:02 PM
Strobes48
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2018 Heritage owners, any issues to watch for?

My dad just bought a anniversary heritage 114, god damn is that a good looking bike compared to the last model. Anyways I came into the m8 section and saw quite a bit of talk about oils sumping issues and I’m wondering if any of the Softail guys are experiencing this? Or anything else to watch for. I rode it last weekend and everything seemed great but now I’m regretting not looking into this before he bought it. Sounds like still don’t even have it totally figured out. Hoping for some good news that’s it’s limited to touring 107 models. I read quite a bit but some of those threads are super long and only seemed to be about the baggers. Thanks

Old 03-24-2018, 07:34 PM
BCC1
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Zero issues. Broke it in as recommended, don't baby it since. It's a hoot. Have the 114.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:54 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,219 Likes on 1,264 Posts

As for the M8 issues, it appears that talk of "transfer" and "oil migration" do not affect the Softails, those appear to be limited to touring bikes.

But the sumping can happen to any Milwaukee 8. So yes, you do have to watch out for that.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:55 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by BCC1
Zero issues. Broke it in as recommended, don't baby it since. It's a hoot. Have the 114.
Mine's not a Heritage, it's a Fat Bob, but I mimic BCC1. Broke it in according to the manual, drive it like a madman since, and it's an utter blast. I did find that it was a quart low, maybe 1.5 low, over the last 1800 miles, so I'm gonna have them check on that, but other than that, zero issues.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:18 PM
kenny55
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts

no passenger floorboard supports yet. Wife not happy. Would hope some more options for speedo, seats, fairings, and other parts show up soon. Beside that, the bike itself is awesome.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:42 PM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Guys you have to idle these things down for a while at least a minute(two is better) after a ride if you want to get all the oil back in the sump ,got this info at my local dealer through a conference call with HD AU under direction form HD US. They said the oil level issue was people not idling down after a ride and when they check the dipstick they came up short.

Last edited by badcooky; 03-24-2018 at 08:45 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by badcooky:
Redlegvzv (03-27-2018), uklauren (03-24-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 09:50 PM
Ludwig von Buzzthoven
Road Master
Received 639 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by badcooky
Guys you have to idle these things down for a while at least a minute(two is better) after a ride if you want to get all the oil back in the sump ,got this info at my local dealer through a conference call with HD AU under direction form HD US. They said the oil level issue was people not idling down after a ride and when they check the dipstick they came up short.
cooky - by “idle down”, do you mean shut the bike completely off, wait 2 minutes, then check the oil?

Old 03-24-2018, 10:45 PM
badcooky
Banned

Originally Posted by Ludwig von Buzzthoven

cooky - by “idle down”, do you mean shut the bike completely off, wait 2 minutes, then check the oil?
No Buzz, come to a stop from riding and let the bike idle for a while, the HD AU guy said two minutes , I actually after the new mufflers didn't idle down on purpose from the ride home ,let the bike cool down and yep the oil was low on the dipstick , started the bike up warmed her up then after a couple of throttle blips let her idle for around two minutes then shut it down let the bike sit for an hour or so and yep the oil was right back on the mark where it always is.

Old 03-25-2018, 12:36 AM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member

He's saying that oil collected in the sump (where it doesn't belong) will be pumped back where it belongs during that idle process. In his prior sig, it was asserted that that's the core of the sumping problem -- it "looks" low, even though the oil's still there in the sump, so you go adding more oil to bring it up to the level, and then when you start the bike up it's too full and then sumping happens. Makes some sense but I don't know enough about these things to know if it's the problem for sure. I know my bike was a quart to 1.5 quarts low on Friday, and I am concerned that there may be a whole lot of oil in the sump, so when I take it in I'm going to have them pull the crankcase position sensor to see what comes spewing out.

Badcooky, why is that not in your signature anymore? Was that something that came from that meeting with Harley Aus?

The following users liked this post:
Redlegvzv (03-27-2018)
Old 03-25-2018, 12:47 AM
badcooky
Banned

Badcooky, why is that not in your signature anymore? Was that something that came from that meeting with Harley Aus?

I sat in on a HD AU phone conference mate and that is what I heard , I'm actually surprised you guys in the States are not on to it as HD AU was advised to have that conference from HD USA(that is my understanding).I changed my sig line as I believe HD are past that point as I said the 10/10/17 thing , PM incoming.

Quick Reply: 2018 Heritage owners, any issues to watch for?