Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help on purchase of a Heritage

Old 04-12-2018, 09:23 PM
InspectorMark
Cruiser
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Last fall I bought a 2011 fatboy with 10,000 miles for $9000.00. This may not help you but it may give you an idea of what other softballs go for.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:18 PM
Pete3323
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

$9995? Sounds like a Stealership....I will NEVER understand buying used at a dealer.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:54 AM
Maggie
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was absolutely pouring yesterday and so did not go look at the bike. My husband and I are done traveling. I gave up my Ultra a couple of years ago. We have done the Rockies and Sturgis, St George and the California coast plus. I have been getting by with a 650 Vstrom and now know that I really want back on a Harley for all the reasons you all know. I take day rides now mostly by myself as hubby has a pretty bad back, so just need something to do local rides. I don't want to lug around an Ultra anymore, although what a nice bike that was, and I have tried a Sportster Custom and no go there, too small for me. I had a Heritage in 2003 that I loved so thought it best to go back to that size of bike. It fits. I like to make the bike mine and most upgrades are not what I would do, so a stock Heritage is what I am looking for. I also have test riden most of the softails and still like the Heritage the best.

I can't tell if this 04 I am interested in is at a (st)dealership or not. It is listed on Craigslist and just has a phone number for contact. Yikes. Not sure who this is and am a little worried about this source. I will keep looking if this one is a bust. Cost is an issue so staying around 8k or less is where I am at and that is why I cannot go newer.

Nice to be back on this forum. Great feedback and advice. Thanks!

Old 04-13-2018, 04:43 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 614 Likes on 383 Posts

If you can stretch your budget, get a 2007 or later. This model year has a 96-inch motor, 6-speed trans, and hydraulic cam chain tensioners.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:31 PM
ratfinkharley
Advanced
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I just bought an 05 FLSTSCI with 31000 miles for $9,900 from a HD dealership. The bike was in a front end collision requiring a new springer, fender and tanks. Despite some saying to "run a way",I am confident and happy with the deal. The bike had the hydraulic cam tensioners installed and some other upgrades. Plus two new tires.

Compare that to a bike bought from a private seller with no documentation or recourse. Plus the dealer will register it for me ; albeit for a fee.

This is the first bike I have bought that was not in pieces so there is value in that for me. And my first without a kick start!

There will always be a bike that can be had for less and for more. And in better or worse condition.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:02 AM
H/DSpringer
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I’m in the same boat.... looking at a ‘05 Heritage that is “drop dead beautiful” but has 37K and he won’t budge from $9K price tag. Not concerned so much about the miles but price to me should be $7.5K. Offered $8K and was told “price is firm”. Think I’ll keep looking.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:08 AM
Maggie
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked at the bike yesterday and it was at a little car lot on the corner of a large local street. The owner of the lot said the bike was his and he had another so did not need two. Not sure I believed him. The bike looked good however and I offered him 6k and he came down to 8k from 9995. I left and will keep looking. I did not trust this guy.

Thanks again for all the input!

Old 04-14-2018, 10:55 AM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 711 Posts

Smart girl. Don't buy with your emotions stick with your budget. keep us posted.

The following users liked this post:
Maggie (04-15-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 01:25 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Sounds like you’re doing it right. If you do decide to revisit I’m sure he’ll go lower. They hate it when you leave. Nice when you feel good about all aspects of the deal. Not trusting the sales guy is a good reason to move on. No shortage of bikes for sale.

Maggie (04-15-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 01:47 PM
H/DSpringer
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Maggie
I looked at the bike yesterday and it was at a little car lot on the corner of a large local street. The owner of the lot said the bike was his and he had another so did not need two. Not sure I believed him. The bike looked good however and I offered him 6k and he came down to 8k from 9995. I left and will keep looking. I did not trust this guy.

Thanks again for all the input!
Best but sometimes the most difficult thing to do........ Especially if you really like the bike........

As Thingfish posted, always lots of bike for sale.........

Maggie (04-15-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help on purchase of a Heritage