2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Another 2018 Black Tempest Fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 12:51 AM
TwoForty
Novice
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Another 2018 Black Tempest Fatboy

Hello all. I picked up my 2018 Fatboy way back at the end of October last year. I had one good day back then to ride it home from the dealer before the salt hit the streets and that was it. With the weather we've had in northeast Ohio this past winter and spring (if you could call it spring) I've just started to ride it (finally all salt on roads is gone). I've always wanted a Fatboy, it just turns out that when I decided it was time to buy one they came out with this new model. I love the new bike. I had no concerns about the 240 rear tire as I had a Deuce for years that I had done a 240 rear and a 120 front conversion on. Other than the exhaust, that POS side mount license plate bracket and the floorboards I love everything about this bike. No one is a fan of the exhaust and I for one am not a fan of floorboards. I've never had a bike with them before and couldn't wait to get rid of them on the Fatboy. So my first mod was to swap out the floorboards with the footpig and rear brake lever setup from the Breakout. Very simple bolt right on swap. I gotta say the foot pegs make the bike look 100 lbs lighter and much more slim. As for that cheap crappy license plate bracket I took it and threw it as far as I could. I cant believe Harley put that junk on an almost 20 grand bike. I made a custom bracket that mounts to the rear fender. For the time being I'm happy other than the exhaust, but that's next on the list of what I'm sure will turn out to be thousands more in mods.

Attached Thumbnails Another 2018 Black Tempest Fatboy-003-copy.bmp   Another 2018 Black Tempest Fatboy-004-copy.bmp   Another 2018 Black Tempest Fatboy-006-copy.bmp   Another 2018 Black Tempest Fatboy-007-copy.bmp   Another 2018 Black Tempest Fatboy-008-copy.bmp  

The following 3 users liked this post by TwoForty:
bmedeiros678 (10-27-2021), soldierbot (03-20-2019), srhen (05-14-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 12:52 PM
srhen
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I also hate the side mount license plate bracket on the new Fatboy.....can I get some more info on what you used and maybe a pic or 2 of under the fender?

I have 1 rigged up now but wanna make a better version.

Thanks...Scott

Also the Rineharts slip-ons sound and look great...not too loud, especially the slotted end caps. Vance and Hines 300's are a very close 2nd.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-18-2018 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:31 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 525 Likes on 364 Posts

The tail tidy mod is great. Where you able to place the led light to illuminate the plate?

Old 05-14-2018, 10:02 PM
rednred
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Subscribed for more info on license plate relocation

Old 05-14-2018, 10:26 PM
TwoForty
Novice

Originally Posted by srhen
I also hate the side mount license plate bracket on the new Fatboy.....can I get some more info on what you used and maybe a pic or 2 of under the fender?

I have 1 rigged up now but wanna make a better version.

Thanks...Scott

Hi Scott, I made the bracket from 0.090" mild steel. After cutting it out I realized I could have used a little thinner material (0.080" thick) but not a problem. I drilled, cut, finished edges then bent it into shape. In hindsight I could have made it about a half inch shorter, but to late at that point. It was kinda tough to determine the exact mounting hole depth in the fender. No problem though it looks great (to me) as is on the bike. After bending I again finished off the edges and surface. I then had the bracket powder coated. The LED lighting strip is hidden in the upper edge of the license plate frame. I designed the frame in 3D CAD and had it CNC milled from aluminum at work. It is a two piece frame, front and back parts. It's anodized black.

Also the Rineharts slip-ons sound and look great...not too loud, especially the slotted end caps. Vance and Hines 300's are a very close 2nd.
Thanks for the suggestions. I took a look at them in some youtube videos. I think I'd like to get away from the stock two straight pipe look though. Thinking about either the Bassani Road Rage 2 into 1 in black or the Vance and Hines Big Radius. I know, everybody under the sun has Big Radius pipes on their bike but the black Big Radius pipes look real good on the new Fatboy to me.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-18-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:01 PM
srhen
Tourer

TwoForty......did you use plastic or is that just painted ?........Itried using the European Harley plate but they must also use a different inner fender support cause it was way off. I'm gonna try to make a pattern out of tin first and then make 1 outta stainless . Trying to mount off the center 3 holes and run braces to the 2 outer holes. Gonna use a 3-light LED strip for the tag light.

Thanks...Scott

Old 05-15-2018, 12:12 PM
TwoForty
Novice

TwoForty......did you use plastic or is that just painted ?........Itried using the European Harley plate but they must also use a different inner fender support cause it was way off. I'm gonna try to make a pattern out of tin first and then make 1 outta stainless . Trying to mount off the center 3 holes and run braces to the 2 outer holes. Gonna use a 3-light LED strip for the tag light.

Thanks...Scott
Hey guys, I posted a reply with pictures of the plate mount yesterday. Guess it will show up when the moderators approve it. The mount is made of mild steel and powder coated. It will be clear when the pictures are posted.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:54 PM
MrNovember80
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by TwoForty
Thanks for the suggestions. I took a look at them in some youtube videos. I think I'd like to get away from the stock two straight pipe look though. Thinking about either the Bassani Road Rage 2 into 1 in black or the Vance and Hines Big Radius. I know, everybody under the sun has Big Radius pipes on their bike but the black Big Radius pipes look real good on the new Fatboy to me.
IMO, I completely agree, Big Radius pipes flow very well with this bike. I'm running the Tabs with Zombie baffles, sounds really nice, but once I go with power cam next year I will add the radius.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:45 PM
TwoForty
Novice

OK, I don't know why I have so many problems with adding pictures to my post. And I don't know what happened to the post I submitted yesterday. Anyway, I'll try it again. My license plate bracket is made from 0.090" thick mild steel. I drilled holes and cut it out (the flat part pic just would not attach here). I did some light clean up on it then bent it into shape. After checking the fit and cleaning up the surface and edges it was off to powder coat. After looking around the web and not finding what I wanted I designed the plate frame in CAD and had it CNC milled at work. There is a front and rear sandwiching the plate. Those two parts went off to be anodized. Also under the top lip of the front frame (between the frame and plate) is a LED light strip hidden from view. It's mounted to the three tabs of the inner fender support. The extra holes you see in the bracket under the fender are for zip ties for power plug and wire dressing.

I've tried twice to post pictures of the license plate bracket but the post haven't shown up here. If you go to my "About Me" page and open the "My Post Pictures" album you will see all the pictures that I've tried to post. I made the bracket in my home shop, it's made from 0.090" thick mild steel and powder coated. The license plate frame is also a one off. I designed it in CAD and had it CNC machined at work from aluminum. It's two parts, front and rear. there is a LED light strip hidden in the upper lip (between the front part and the plate) to illuminate the plate. The bracket is bolted to the three mounting points of the inner fender support. The extra holes in the bracket are to zip tie the power plug and wires in place. Again I'm sorry my post haven't shown up.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-18-2018 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:10 AM
srhen
Tourer

TwoFourty......Beautiful work on the plate mount. I hope you don't mind if I kinda copy it, just gonna shorten it up alittle and make the sides a bit different. I just gotta get me dimensions and I'll be set. I also like your idea on the plate trim, I'm kinda wanting to hide the light up under the lip of the fender.

On the subject of ypur exhaust I have Bassani/s on 2 of my bikes and love the sound and performance of them.....fit and finish are also great. The 1 set I have is about 10 yrs and 50k miles old and still really nice. The only change I made was the tips as the original was just polished and I found chrome Performance Machine tips on Dennis Kirk website closeout for less than $50.

Thanks...Scott

Quick Reply: Another 2018 Black Tempest Fatboy