Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Was going to rent a Heritage Softail after test ride.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 05:26 PM
Grumbler
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Was going to rent a Heritage Softail after test ride.

Took a used 2016 Heritage Softail (103"/6-spd) out on a 10 mile test ride while followed by the salesman on
114" Fat Bob the other week. It was basically 6 miles blvd cruising and 4 miles freeway.

Long story short, that model flipped my switch unlike the Road King Classic, Switchback, Street Bob and Low
Rider (all used) that I rode at dealer. Will be looking for 2008-2014 Heritage Softail after Labor Day as I've
other commitments this summer.

Next step was to rent one for 24 hours *but* the only model available to rent was the 2018 HS with 114" so
I declined. It's my impression that the 2018 is quite different in ride and feel compared to the older models.
Meaning, $175 rental fee with insurance might not be worth it.

Was I right or should I reconsider as a 10 mile test ride is just an appetizer, not a meal. =8^)

Old 05-15-2018, 06:10 PM
Montag
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Grumbler
Took a used 2016 Heritage Softail (103"/6-spd) out on a 10 mile test ride while followed by the salesman on
114" Fat Bob the other week. It was basically 6 miles blvd cruising and 4 miles freeway.

Long story short, that model flipped my switch unlike the Road King Classic, Switchback, Street Bob and Low
Rider (all used) that I rode at dealer. Will be looking for 2008-2014 Heritage Softail after Labor Day as I've
other commitments this summer.

Next step was to rent one for 24 hours *but* the only model available to rent was the 2018 HS with 114" so
I declined. It's my impression that the 2018 is quite different in ride and feel compared to the older models.
Meaning, $175 rental fee with insurance might not be worth it.

Was I right or should I reconsider as a 10 mile test ride is just an appetizer, not a meal. =8^)
I was thinking the same thing. Just took a ride up the coast on my 2010 Heritage. I kept feeling every bump. I adjusted the main shocks, and it's a little better, but sometimes the road almost knocks the handlebars out of my hand. And the road really isn't that bad. I considered putting one of those Progressive drop ins for the front, and maybe the 422's or Shotgun Air shocks, but am wondering if I'll just be throwing good money after bad. I don't have ABS, and want it, and hear the new Heritage comes with LEDs, which I was getting ready to buy for the 2010.

I'm considering taking a ride on a 2018 Heritage, and if I like it, renting one for a day or so and riding it over the same road.

Good Luck!

Old 05-15-2018, 06:55 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 492 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by Montag
I was thinking the same thing. Just took a ride up the coast on my 2010 Heritage. I kept feeling every bump. I adjusted the main shocks, and it's a little better, but sometimes the road almost knocks the handlebars out of my hand. And the road really isn't that bad. I considered putting one of those Progressive drop ins for the front, and maybe the 422's or Shotgun Air shocks, but am wondering if I'll just be throwing good money after bad. I don't have ABS, and want it, and hear the new Heritage comes with LEDs, which I was getting ready to buy for the 2010.

I'm considering taking a ride on a 2018 Heritage, and if I like it, renting one for a day or so and riding it over the same road.

Good Luck!
The 18's ride better (Like touring bike better) Better brakes.
To me, the front end felt heavier than my 00 Heritage. But it
REALLY rode nice.
Not sure on the 114 if I'm a fan. It was VERY quick, but ran out
of steam real soon. Poor plugged up Kalif model.
And it was mechanically, the noisiest thing I've ever heard. Howling,
ticking like a broken washing machine.
So, I'd have to ride one with at least a stage-1 and some decent exh
just to see if it would drown some of that out before I could
pull the trigger on an 18.

The following users liked this post:
Montag (05-15-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 10:08 PM
Montag
Advanced

Originally Posted by byersmtrco
The 18's ride better (Like touring bike better) Better brakes.
To me, the front end felt heavier than my 00 Heritage. But it
REALLY rode nice.
Not sure on the 114 if I'm a fan. It was VERY quick, but ran out
of steam real soon. Poor plugged up Kalif model.
And it was mechanically, the noisiest thing I've ever heard. Howling,
ticking like a broken washing machine.
So, I'd have to ride one with at least a stage-1 and some decent exh
just to see if it would drown some of that out before I could
pull the trigger on an 18.
It's good that it rides better, but sucks that you'd have to have some pipes to drown it out. I always switch out the pipes first thing anyway. My 2010 has all kinds of click clack noise too at a stop. It really is a beast. But I like it. Just wish it handled a tad better.

Old 05-16-2018, 02:29 AM
dagnabit
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

If the cost of the bike isnt the deciding factor I would rent a new one and see how you like it. You might even get the dealer to eat the cost of the rental if you buy it. If it was my money though...the m8 and new softails are still too new for me to commit to spending the big money to be a beta tester. Ill pick one up used in a few years once i get a feel for what issues or problems crop up so Im not blindsided. I also do not like the new blackout look of the 2018 heritage. To me, they essentially turned it into a heritage version of the old fatboy lo. I get that a lot of people like the blacked out look, but I would have liked to have seen that offered as an option, and the standard trim being more like the deluxe. The blacked out styling just doesnt look right to me on the heritage, but again everyone has their own tastes.

Montag (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 02:41 AM
Flstcjay
Tourer
Received 103 Likes on 62 Posts

Two different bikes. You are not going to get the feeling of an older heritage on an M8 Softail.

Montag (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 06:39 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

I haven't road a 2018 but just like anything newer I would expect it to be better in most ways than it's predecessor.
My 09 has a lot of upgrades, some of them greatly improve the ride.
I have a hard time thinking than a 2018 Heritage would ride much better if at all than my upgraded 2009.

If I was in the market for Heritage I'd be looking at a 2008-2015 at a price around $9-12K.
The changes/enhancements of a 2018 IMO isn't worth the additional $8-11K.

So IMO let your wallet help you decide which bike to choose.
Remember it's only going to be new up until you ride it off the showroom floor.

As I'm cruising down the back roads enjoying my life one thing that my 2009 has over a 2018 that puts a smile on my face is a title.
Nothing to include a motorcycle provides more pleasure than living debt free.

So my vote is buy the one that if you can't pay cash for buy the one that you can get paid off the soonest.
Then you can take any extra cash you have from not owing anyone and make the bike you're own like I have done.

Last edited by Bluraven; 05-16-2018 at 06:45 AM.
Montag (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 07:47 PM
Montag
Advanced

Originally Posted by Flstcjay
Two different bikes. You are not going to get the feeling of an older heritage on an M8 Softail.
I really like mike 2010 Heritage. Other than the suspension. But as I said, a little tweaking on the main shocks helped a bit. Air shocks, I'm told would make a big difference, but I have to decide if I really want to keep the bike long term before I do that. The front shocks suck. Not sure if the previous owner has messed it up, put wrong oil in it, or what. I'm finding bonehead stuff he did everyday. I'll just pull out the old ledger again and start a + and - column and see how it compares.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:55 PM
Montag
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bluraven
I haven't road a 2018 but just like anything newer I would expect it to be better in most ways than it's predecessor.
My 09 has a lot of upgrades, some of them greatly improve the ride.
I have a hard time thinking than a 2018 Heritage would ride much better if at all than my upgraded 2009.

If I was in the market for Heritage I'd be looking at a 2008-2015 at a price around $9-12K.
The changes/enhancements of a 2018 IMO isn't worth the additional $8-11K.

So IMO let your wallet help you decide which bike to choose.
Remember it's only going to be new up until you ride it off the showroom floor.

As I'm cruising down the back roads enjoying my life one thing that my 2009 has over a 2018 that puts a smile on my face is a title.
Nothing to include a motorcycle provides more pleasure than living debt free.

So my vote is buy the one that if you can't pay cash for buy the one that you can get paid off the soonest.
Then you can take any extra cash you have from not owing anyone and make the bike you're own like I have done.
I can't stand debt either. I always pay cash for whatever I buy. If I can't pay cash, I can't afford it. I usually not only save money on interest, but car and motorcycle dealers bend over backwards to close the deal. My neighbor once told me that not everybody can pay $40,000 cash for a vehicle. I told him if he can't afford $40,000 how the heck is he going to afford $40,000 plus interest over who knows how many years. You're paying it either way.

I guess it will come down to what I think is important. I really like the low slung Heritage, I just want ABS and a better handling bike. I have a smaller Honda, and that handles unbelievably well, and has more up to date technology, but it's not the same. Guess I'll have to sort out my priorities.... Thanks!

Old 05-16-2018, 08:33 PM
MGDavis
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Montag
I can't stand debt either. I always pay cash for whatever I buy. If I can't pay cash, I can't afford it. I usually not only save money on interest, but car and motorcycle dealers bend over backwards to close the deal. My neighbor once told me that not everybody can pay $40,000 cash for a vehicle. I told him if he can't afford $40,000 how the heck is he going to afford $40,000 plus interest over who knows how many years. You're paying it either way.

I guess it will come down to what I think is important. I really like the low slung Heritage, I just want ABS and a better handling bike. I have a smaller Honda, and that handles unbelievably well, and has more up to date technology, but it's not the same. Guess I'll have to sort out my priorities.... Thanks!
You arent borrowing from the right place. About to sign on a 3.5% note to buy a dresser. I'll be paying maybe $500/year in interest. Last year, before rates started ticking up, my buddy borrowed at 2.5%. Neither of us had stellar credit, in the 670-719 band. 720+ got rates a percentage point lower.

Quick Reply: Was going to rent a Heritage Softail after test ride.