Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Breakout - "Shudder" at 55-70 Mph

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 08:50 AM
gregeinsc
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Mystic_3D
dropped off at Dealer with a detailed list of symptoms...and things to check based upon this thread.
I bet they love you.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:56 AM
Mystic_3D
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gregeinsc
I bet they love you.
I don't care, they have $26k of my money and in return I expect a shudder free bike

Old 05-23-2018, 09:51 AM
izzyryder
Road Warrior
Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

I don't care, they have $26k of my money and in return I expect a shudder free bike
Right on.

I am wondering if the shudder is due to an issue with the new front forks and the valving.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:59 AM
beardo
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I had shudder on my 2018 Fat Bob.

Nothing on the front end.

Dial indicator on the rear rim, disc and sprocket. Nothing.

Rear tire, almost a 1/4 inch out of round on the left side.

I cured my shudder problem by replacing the tires with a different brand.

Night and day difference now...

Old 05-28-2018, 07:04 AM
Mystic_3D
Advanced
Angry

Originally Posted by beardo
I had shudder on my 2018 Fat Bob.

Nothing on the front end.

Dial indicator on the rear rim, disc and sprocket. Nothing.

Rear tire, almost a 1/4 inch out of round on the left side.

I cured my shudder problem by replacing the tires with a different brand.

Night and day difference now...
ebeardo,

Thank You so much, struggling to determine the cause, I will check that.
if you don't mind me asking what brand?

I have an Avon AV71 front tire sitting here, might just go ahead and get the rear.

BTW the Dealer is WORTHLESS, they basically told me there is no issue. They said it's between you and Harley...
The Service Writer tried for 20 min telling me no problem..

Old 05-28-2018, 06:33 PM
beardo
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I wanted to try a set of Shinkos. I've run them with on Harleys in the past, and had good luck with them.

To be fair, I work at a dealership. Three techs rode my bike, and only the service manager felt what I was describing. Not everyone notices vibration or shudder.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:52 AM
TahoeTom
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Might need to go to another dealer as my ask did not result in a response. I feel somewhat guilty trying this route as no intention to buy. I don't know anyone with a 2018 Breakout...
I have a 2018 Breakout 107. Sometimes I get the same thing around 50-60mph. It's like a vibrator was just plugged into my grips. Not too bad, but noticeable for sure. It seems to only happen once in a while though. I'd say about 1 out of every 6 times I'm ridding. I'm ridding today and tomorrow so, I'll watch for what you're feeling an let you know what I see.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:56 AM
Mystic_3D
Advanced

Originally Posted by TahoeTom

I have a 2018 Breakout 107. Sometimes I get the same thing around 50-60mph. It's like a vibrator was just plugged into my grips. Not too bad, but noticeable for sure. It seems to only happen once in a while though. I'd say about 1 out of every 6 times I'm ridding. I'm ridding today and tomorrow so, I'll watch for what you're feeling an let you know what I see.
Thanks! mine is "constant", shudder for 2 sec then off, repeat, have new Acon Front already, Rear Tire on the way(Friday), so will get them swapped on Saturday. it's definitely not the front as that tire/wheel has been changed

Old 05-31-2018, 10:09 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

It's probably the silly roads, heavy sidewall tires and your dynamic balance is off on your wheels. There is numerous areas around here that my bike and my 4X4 pickup do it. I can find certain roads that it does not do it. RIP's new Crosstreck does not do it but has a crazy side to side rock in the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel do to the way they elevated the body of their car chassie off the suspension to create it.
Back when my bike had a front spoke rim, the dealer never could get it right and I wore out 3 tires. I was totally shocked when I put the star wheel on and the balance was correct.

If the dealer has checked it and says that it is normal, it probably is. These bikes do ride pretty cruddy. Nature of the beast.

However, there tire banance could be worn out. If anything it's the tire balance since you know what a true assembly is and a dial indicator. .005 would never show on a tire but two plane dynamic out of balance will. And forget beads. They do not balance, just dampen. Beads will cup certain tires wilt angled water grooves like Metzlers in no time. Dunlops are tricky to get right. Michelins are soft riding and easier to get right since balance is less critical and on aluminum Harley wheels rarely need weights if any.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 05-31-2018 at 10:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Yamaharley (06-10-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 10:27 AM
Mystic_3D
Advanced

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
It's probably the silly roads, heavy sidewall tires and your dynamic balance is off on your wheels. There is numerous areas around here that my bike and my 4X4 pickup do it. I can find certain roads that it does not do it. RIP's new Crosstreck does not do it but has a crazy side to side rock in the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel do to the way they elevated the body of their car chassie off the suspension to create it.
Back when my bike had a front spoke rim, the dealer never could get it right and I wore out 3 tires. I was totally shocked when I put the star wheel on and the balance was correct.

If the dealer has checked it and says that it is normal, it probably is. These bikes do ride pretty cruddy. Nature of the beast.

However, there tire banance could be worn out. If anything it's the tire balance since you know what a true assembly is and a dial indicator. .005 would never show on a tire but two plane dynamic out of balance will. And forget beads. They do not balance, just dampen. Beads will cup certain tires wilt angled water grooves like Metzlers in no time. Dunlops are tricky to get right. Michelins are soft riding and easier to get right since balance is less critical and on aluminum Harley wheels rarely need weights if any.
My mechanic rode another 2018 breakout that did not exhibit the shudder, same road. The road in question is glass smooth, where it is the most noticeable. Does not do it on my ZX10R, Truck, or Car.
I chalk it up to not accepting something that is simply not right, if it was a design issue the bike would be gone and i would go get a bike that is properly designed.
I have avoided harleys my whole life, decided to give it a shot, hugely disappointed at this point in my dealers acceptance they think it's
"normal" and simply cannot diagnose.

Rant over. if Harley wants to survive, they need to step up their game and expand their target customer(which they have), but quality has to follow..
https://www.theguardian.com/business...sy-rider-image

Quick Reply: 2018 Breakout - "Shudder" at 55-70 Mph