Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   18' Fat Bob windshield - Buffeting? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/1238364-18-fat-bob-windshield-buffeting.html)

AdrianVall 06-13-2018 09:47 AM

18' Fat Bob windshield - Buffeting?

Hey guys,

I've been strongly considering getting a windshield for my 18' Fat Bob, however, I've read a lot of conflicting reviews in regards to buffeting.

Let me start by saying I'm 5'8" and ride with a full face helmet.

Is there buffeting from riding with one of Harley's two windshield options (19" and 15")? I absolutely do NOT want any buffeting. I put a windshield on a wide glide I had a few years back and buffeting is the most uncomfortable feeling ever. I'd rather have my chest to the wind than have to experience buffeting.

I have a ride planned tomorrow so if anyone could help a brotha out, I'd greatly appreciate it!

FatBob2018 06-13-2018 11:58 AM

I've been through all manner of windshield trials trying to find perfection. Answers: yes there's buffeting, yes the 15" does it more than the 19", and yes I'm 5' 8" with a full face helmet.

And finally, yes, the Harley shields can deliver the still pocket of wind that you want, but it takes some effort. You're going to need the 19" shield, you're going to need some fork-mounted wind deflectors, and you're going to need to mount the windshield higher than it is designed to mount (I call it mounting it "madstad style").

More details and pics in my build thread: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...fat-bob-3.html

blackSP 06-13-2018 12:02 PM

I'm 6 ft 1 and I love the 15' screen, much better than the 18" which I returned after 5 minutes!

mtippett 06-13-2018 12:15 PM

I'm 5'9" and the 15 has been perfect for highway cruising, not an issue at all

FatBob2018 06-13-2018 12:29 PM

Clearly there are individual tastes to account for as well. And differences in rider height, and differences in helmet, and differences in how close or far away a rider sits. There is no one answer -- you have to find what works for YOU, because what works for me may not work for you and vice versa.

As a follow-up to my statements above -- I had both the 15" and the 19". I wanted to prefer the 15", it was overall a great windshield and far and away the best compact windshield I'd ever used, but could not get it to stop buffeting at freeway speeds no matter what I did. I was able to reach nirvana with the 19" after much effort, so I sold the 15".

I don't think someone's overall height is the determining factor, I think "head height above the seat" is the determining factor; if someone has a really long torso and really short legs, their head height above the seat will be different from someone who has really long legs and a shorter torso, even if both are 5' 8" tall. Also, arm length may be a factor; I found that the closer I sat to the windshield, the less buffeting, and if I moved notably closer I could get the 15" to have zero buffeting. But it was uncomfortable to ride that close. Someone with shorter arms may find it perfectly comfortable to sit that close. So depending on how you sit on the bike and how close you ride, will make a huge difference in your experience with buffeting and turbulence.

From my experience, the 15" caused the turbulent wind to hit right about nose height. The 19" caused it to hit right at the top of the helmet. Helmet makes a big difference. I use an Icon Airmada, which is a pretty big helmet. With the 19", I bet that if I rode with no helmet it would throw the wind completely over the top of my head, but with that big ol' helmet, it catches the wind at the top of it. Moving the 19" up madstad-style got it to throw the turbulent wind over the top of the helmet. But that didn't stop all buffeting, that just stopped the top of the helmet buffeting. It helped (a lot), but it wasn't nirvana. The fork-mounted fangs were necessary to block air from rushing up below the windshield too. Those got the ride to be blissfully buffet-free.

Another factor is speed -- with both windshields, regardless of mounting style, turbulence is a non-issue below about 50 mph. It just doesn't happen. You have to get above 50 before it begins to exhibit itself. At 75, I found that I needed the fangs, the 19, and the higher mounting to be happy with it.

AdrianVall 06-13-2018 07:10 PM

Phenomenal response FatBob2018!! I really appreciate it. I’m leaning toward the 19” shield now, but before I pull the trigger,
where did you get the fork wind deflectors? I want to price it all out before I decide to do it.

FatBob2018 06-14-2018 12:28 AM

I just picked up some Paughco fangs, I think they were for an FLH-something. All I had to do was drill an additional hole and cut out a slight notch, and they fit just fine. I even really like the looks of em.

Prot 06-14-2018 04:01 AM

There are too many factors to give an accurate definitive answer.

Helmet shape and design, windshield shape and design, posture, your height and torso length are the main things that come to mind. What works for me may be awful for the next person.

To me the 2018 Fat Bob is an in the breeze bike, not one well suited or styled for a fairing or windshield. It would be like putting a windshield on a dirt bike imho.

On the other hand, I don't like the looks of the 2018 Fat Bob to begin with.

Generally a larger windshield will produce less buffering that can be felt since more of your body will be more protected, especially one that has a curved upper edge.

blackSP 06-15-2018 02:41 AM

As FatBob2018 said, helmet shape is definitely a factor to take in. So on my 15" I now where this Roof (Boxxer Carbon) helmet and that does make a difference. With my el cheapo open helmet it's less comfy.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...09c09d3277.jpg