Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike fell off jackstand

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 10:50 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Good job OP!

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 06-17-2018, 12:15 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 440 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluraven
First off to the OP; don't beat yourself up.
We've all done things that in hindsight we would have done differently.

The good thing here is it appears the bike isn't damaged much if at all and nobody was hurt.
Life is all about learning and I think you've learned something from this so that's a positive.

First; a lift is not going to get the front end up off the ground which is what the OP needed; a jack would still be required.
Second; not everyone has the room for a lift.
Third; not everyone has a need for a lift.
Fourth; Unless I missed it I don't think the OP stated how this happened but it appears the reason it fell off the jack has nothing to do with the jack's quality.

Making some assumptions here; the reason this happened is the jack was placed near the bike's center of gravity and the bike lifted up.
Then the OP took the front wheel/forks off which changed the center of gravity and the bike tipped backwards onto it's rear wheel and then the bike fell off the jack.

I bet this still probably would have happened even if the OP was using a $550 JS Jack; the quality of the jack had nothing to do with why the bike fell off.
If the bike had been strapped down it's very likely the bike still would tipped onto it's rear tire but it's unlikely it would have fell over.

So the best advice here is not "spend more money on a jack" but rather always strapped the bike down while on the jack and if taking any weight off the front or the rear of the bike always support either the front or rear tire so that the bike will not tip when the center of gravity changes.

In the picture below a fellow forum member is using a JS Jack but that's not why their bike didn't tip onto it's rear tire and then fall over.
The reason their bike didn't tip onto it's rear tire was they supported the rear tire so when the center or gravity changed the bike didn't tip onto the rear tire. (they still should have strapped it down though).
Great post. Lots of encouragement, and information shared for next time!

Originally Posted by nvrsmr303
Thanks again to all for the insight. Ended up going the engine hoist route. The reason this happened was a combination of things, jack didn’t fit under bike to begin with so used bottle jack and HF motorcycle jack then shifting weight when pulling forks out caused to fall over. As someone mentioned valuable lesson and pretty lucky considering. Bike is back on solid ground and taking out for ride this afternoon
Glad to hear you got it back on two wheels OP.
When you say the jack didn't fit under, do you mean just the left side of the frame was too low to slide the jack under it from the right side as it should? If so, try putting a 1x4 or 2x4 under the kickstand next time you try to jack the bike up. Just be careful not to use something that has the bike standing straight up and down, it still needs to lean a bit to the left. I would be surprised if you could not get that jack under your bike. I have extra pieces of rubber on the rails of my J&S jack, which I needed to get my Deuce on the jack without lifting it under the shocks, so I have to use a piece of 1/2 plywood under the kickstand on my Fat Boy to get the jack to slide under the left frame rail. It's not an unusual situation.

Enjoy your day, and Ride Safe

Last edited by iHodor; 06-17-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:42 AM
lonesum
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 325 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluraven

I suppose you're right.

If you know where one of these lifts that has that option can be purchased for $600-800 like "lonesum" mentioned please let us know.
I might be convinced to purchased one at that price.

Mine came from Iowa, Western manufacturing Corp I've had it over 30 years never had a bike fall off of it.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:14 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 752 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by lonesum
Mine came from Iowa, Western manufacturing Corp I've had it over 30 years never had a bike fall off of it.
If the company is still in business after 30 years they must make a quality product.
However I think what you're referencing is a lift and the OP's subject relates to a jack.

I don't think I've ever heard of a bike falling off any lift to include a $300 HF one when the lift is used properly.
Then again I've also never heard of a bike falling off any jack to include a $60 HF one when the jack is used properly.

At the end of the day; I think most devices if they are used properly will perform as they should regardless of price.

In this thread the OP just forgot to strap the bike down and forgot to support the rear tire when they removed the front tire/forks which caused the bike to tip back and fall off the jack.
I think the OP figured out right away what they had done incorrectly, they were only looking for opinions on how to get the bike back on the jack.

Life moves on as do I.
I think this thread is played out; I'm out of here.

Ride safe all.

Last edited by Bluraven; 06-23-2018 at 07:20 AM.