Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Softail Gasoline Leaking Problem

Old 01-22-2019, 12:05 PM
MadamBossLady
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by deni
2018 - 800 mile old Softail Deluxe started leaking gasoline from the the fuel vapor tube that is terminates over the rear drive belt.
The steady dripping occurs during idle or cruising with the filler cap on but does not leak with the tank filler cap removed.
There is only one gallon of fuel in the tank. It's my wifes Deluxe and I don't know how long it's been leaking this way.
I noticed this for the first time after I took the down off the lift after a handlebar swap during a test ride.

Since this is a warranty item, I'll be dropping the bike off at the dealer Monday. However, I don't know if I'd considerable the bike exactly safe to ride at this point.
At any rate I'd like too diagnose the cause of the leak myself and solve if it's a simple fix or accept any any tips.
My bike is a 2018 Softail Deluxe and I just got off the phone with HD. They are very aware of the problem at the main plant and they said it is related to a pressure valve issue with this model bike. They supposedly have a fix for the problem and are in the process of fixing mine now. They said the fuel pressure regulator had to be rotated 180 degrees and the nozzle on the regulator adjusted. If this doesn't work I will be demanding they rip the entire damn engine out of this thing and replace it with a new one!

Old 10-15-2019, 03:40 AM
Bertos
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixing my fuel tank vent leak

Hi guys
I am new to this forum and found you guys after having the same issue of fuel dripping from the fuel tank vent on my 2018 Fatboy. I decided to remove the fuel pump system myself first to find out how fuel is getting into the vent hose in the first place. I found that there is a pressure relief valve which leads to the vent hose. But I also found that it is bypassed by a poorly sealed factory plastic weld. So I then decided to seal it with a o ring and alloy retaining collar which I machined, and then fitted a retaining clamp to hold it on.
Problem solved. Hope this helps. I cannot see why the pressure regulator or turning it 180 degrees should be responsible for fuel getting in the vent hose as they are independant of each other.