Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Boy 4.5k more than Street Bob - Why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 09:36 PM
slythetove
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fat Boy 4.5k more than Street Bob - Why?

So, I'm just trying to understand the pricing a little here. If these are both Softtails why is the price difference so huge? What is it that makes up that extra 4.5k (31% increase) on the Fat Boy?

Thanks for any info!

Old 06-20-2018, 09:51 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 440 Likes on 321 Posts

At their base prices, no ABS on the Bob, smaller and less expensive wheels and tires, smaller tank, a minimalist finish (fork covers, paint, pegs vs. floorboards, smaller fenders, etc), less expensive digital gauges and display, and so on. And then there is the "name and reputation" of the Fat Boy as one of Harley's marquee models. They can set the prices at whatever they want. Doesn't necessarily mean that every Bob will sell for $4500 less than every Fat Boy.

Last edited by iHodor; 06-20-2018 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:54 PM
FLSL
Advanced
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by slythetove
So, I'm just trying to understand the pricing a little here. If these are both Softtails why is the price difference so huge? What is it that makes up that extra 4.5k (31% increase) on the Fat Boy?

Thanks for any info!
Because HD still thinks they are back in the their heyday when the Fatboy was THE Softail to have. It was all styling and appeal and same applied then as now. Why were they $1000's more than a Softail Standard and why is/was a Heritage with bags and a windshield damn near the same price as a Fatboy with no bags or shield. Styling and appeal..

Last edited by FLSL; 06-20-2018 at 09:56 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by FLSL:
Campy Roadie (06-21-2018), Torky_SOB (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 03:09 AM
Jul
Novice
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

In France the Street Bob is 14860€, the Slim is 20160€ (both with ABS, no choice over here), so it's 5300 more for a Slim when in the US it's only 1400 $ more... If you want a Fat Boy you'll have to pay 7100€ more than a Street Bob.
Also over Here for example the Sport Glide is also cheaper than the Slim...
I would be curious to know how they set their prices...

Last edited by Jul; 06-21-2018 at 03:11 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:56 AM
911teo
Novice
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In the UK the pricing is also a bit different (all have ABS). Here is the list, assuming all 107s

Street Bob £12,295
Low Rider £13,645
Fat Bob £14,295
Sport Glide £14,995
Slim £16.045
Deluxe £17,245
Breakout £17,245
Fat Boy £17,545
Heritage £17,995

So Slim and Deluxe are basically the same bike apart form the bling (and the passing lamps)....
Also you could make a Heritage from a Slim with some bags and a windscreen and a pillion.... That doesn't cost £1,950
If you take the SG as a base you are even closer, yet the price spread between the SG and Heritage is a whopping £3,010!

We'll see what happens on Friday, when the 25% tariffs on US imports will be applied.

The following users liked this post:
Softail332 (06-26-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 04:32 PM
slythetove
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok so based on the replies it looks like although there are small differences, which of course are obvious, there isn't really anything significant enough to objectively justify the price difference. Thanks to those who took the time to respond!

Just trying to figure out what my next Harley could be

Old 06-26-2018, 02:49 AM
stinkerbill
Road Captain
Received 168 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by 911teo
Slim and Deluxe are basically the same bike apart form the bling (and the passing lamps)....
Also you could make a Heritage from a Slim with some bags and a windscreen and a pillion.... That doesn't cost £1,950
I don’t normally pick holes in other people’s comments, but wrong on both counts.

The Deluxe, over the Slim, has full fenders and a touring seat, both of which cost a LOT to buy separately - it’s also a different geometry, with the Slim sitting much lower. Not the same bike at all.

I had a 2015 Slim as was basically half-way to converting it into what the new Heritage has turned out to be... parts you have to buy to ‘go Heritage’ include...
- full front fender, trim and painting
- full rear fender, painting (AND that’s assuming you’re keeping the Slim’s tail lights)
- touring seat
- panniers
- windscreen
- pillion seat
- pillion pegs
- auxiliary lights and light-bar

The above alone will cost WAY over £2000 for a start (then there’s new brake lights, bars, cables etc to go ‘full Heritage), so the base price difference between the Slim and the Heritage seems pretty good to me.

911teo (06-26-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 03:29 AM
911teo
Novice
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stinkerbill

I don’t normally pick holes in other people’s comments, but wrong on both counts.

The Deluxe, over the Slim, has full fenders and a touring seat, both of which cost a LOT to buy separately - it’s also a different geometry, with the Slim sitting much lower. Not the same bike at all.

I had a 2015 Slim as was basically half-way to converting it into what the new Heritage has turned out to be... parts you have to buy to ‘go Heritage’ include...
- full rear fender, painting (AND that’s assuming you’re keeping the Slim’s tail lights)
- touring seat
- panniers
- windscreen
- pillion seat
- pillion pegs

The above alone will cost WAY over £2000 for a start (then there’s new brake lights, bars, cables etc to go ‘full Heritage), so the base price difference between the Slim and the Heritage seems pretty good to me.
Hey.... of course to convert a Slim to a Heritage or Deluxe it would cost a lot more than £2k.

Then again you could buy a Heritage and spend a fortune to convert it into a Slim!!!

In your list you forgot the handlebars, the instrument cluster, the engine trim, the pipes' configuration, the wheels, the tyres, the fake drum brake cover etc.

The geometry difference (the Slim seat height is a whole 2cm lower than the Deluxe and Heritage) is given by the seat style and handlebars.

The frame, rake, wheelbase, tank shape and capacity are unchanged. So the bikes are essentially the same. A speedometer is a speedometer, a fender is a fender, an indicator is an indicator, a brake light is a brake light.... ok you may like the full Heritage fender better than the Slim bobbed one, but this does not make the bikes intrinsically different. The cost difference for HD at production level is marginal.

The panniers, pillion (and pegs... I forgot about those!!!!), and windscreen are substantial differences.

I think the spirit of the thread was about what is intrinsically an upgrade that justifies a price difference vs a cosmetic/style choice with little functional added value.

Old 06-26-2018, 03:45 AM
Jul
Novice
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stinkerbill

- touring seat
- panniers
- windscreen
- pillion seat
- pillion pegs

So, maybe you can also explain why in France the Sport Glide is a lot cheaper than the Slim when in the US the Slim is the lot cheaper than the Sport Glide ?

911teo (06-26-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 05:20 AM
stinkerbill
Road Captain
Received 168 Likes on 80 Posts

Haha... can open... worms everywhere!

no offence mean to to anyone... just that for me, having owned a Slim and now a Heritage, the £2000 price difference is pretty justified (and even good value) for me personally

Sorry for the thread hi-jacking!

911teo (06-26-2018)

Quick Reply: Fat Boy 4.5k more than Street Bob - Why?