Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How is your experience with SAS air suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 05:05 PM
JohnK-NJ
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How is your experience with SAS air suspension?

Those of you with firsthand experience with SAS suspension please let me know what your experiences with it have beenlike. My first concern is reliability. Would hate to be on a ride far from home and it break down on me. I heard they recently upgraded the unit.

Old 06-25-2018, 04:23 AM
jekkil
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello, installed on my Breakout 2014. Nice, but after some trips made on road, I would say that it's less comfortable than the original suspension.
Of course the seat is also different (completely customized rear/front fender, gas tank...) and has less foam than original one, but I'm quite disapointed.
I ride in Belgium and road quality is not that good also.

The following users liked this post:
JohnK-NJ (06-25-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 04:33 AM
jekkil
Advanced
Talking

Originally Posted by jekkil
Hello, installed on my Breakout 2014. Nice, but after some trips made on road, I would say that it's less comfortable than the original suspension.
Of course the seat is also different (completely customized rear/front fender, gas tank...) and has less foam than original one, but I'm quite disapointed.
I ride in Belgium and road quality is not that good also.
Some update, sorry I put the same comment in other thread, but to mitigate what I said before.

The things I did to get better results
  1. mount the rear fender at top with the compressor
  2. then mount on the seat
  3. continue then to put pressure by actionning the compressor while testing the softness/hardness of the suspension.
  4. when enough hard, I stop putting air
Finally when driving the SAS performs very well, very comparable to OEM suspension. I should now adjust to see if I can find better setting to get even better ride comfort

The following users liked this post:
JohnK-NJ (06-26-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 06:15 PM
JohnK-NJ
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for your feedback. Any mechanical problems with the SAS unit? Do you know what happens if there is a leak? My guess is It would be like riding with no suspension at all.

Old 06-27-2018, 02:37 AM
jekkil
Advanced
Smile

For the installation, I have some comments.
We have installed the unit quite easily. Plan is clear and there is no really difficult point, except perhaps removing the original suspension (red lockit).
So we have installed the unit, connect the wires to an interruptor. The most difficult part was to find the location for the interruptor
Finally we put it just next to the switch on (accessories/engine) on the Breakout.
Then when putting the rear part of the frame on the suspension and the bike on the wheel, we saw that we had max 6cm between the fender and the wheel.
I thing it was not enough to have some safety and avoid the wheel to bump on the fender.
So I contact the service support and ask if we could remove the bolt that is just before the connection point between the SAS and the rear frame.
Their answer was yes and that even lot of customers were doing that.
So we remove the bolt, but we were not able to use this free space to make sure to get some more height, because the rod was all the way in. We have to shorten the rod then.
That's what we do and finnaly get a solution where the connection point is just next the SAS unit itself. Shorter was not possible.
This increase the max height from 6 to 9 cm. Enough

Concerning the possible leak, I could not say. We have not installed the bumper that limit the movement between the fender and wheel.
This means that when we remove air, at the end the wheel touch the fender.
If I'll get an air leakage I will not be able to ride.
But should be possible to limit this and make sure to have a down position limited bu putting a correct bump shock