Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Fatboy runs crappy

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 04:18 PM
Bcum1
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you talking about the ignition trigger I’ve heard different terms for this module cam sensor blah blah blah if that’s the case I checked it while it was cold in the switches work it’s very basic but I really didn’t get a chance to check that one it was hot I know that the rear cylinder coil is not sparking as well when it does get hot sauce something to do with that whether it’s coming from the trigger or not it’s a single fire Dyna S
are there any other sensors that may cause rear cylinder to break up when hot
I need the bike specific schematic I’ll figure it then

Old 07-22-2018, 06:24 PM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Best of luck. I hope you get her running right. Evos are
great bikes, I had an old 1990 that I traded 6 years ago
and sometimes I wish I could of kept it. Once you get it sorted ou
that bike will serve you well.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:58 PM
98fat
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default service manual

Get a Harley service manual if you don't already have one. If you are convinced it electrical there will be a detailed layout in the manual. Start at the beginning check battery, ground etc. and work your way to coil and plugs. It usually something simple. The Harley wiring harnesses are usually extremely good. If someone has messed with or replaced stock items that is usually the problem.

Take it to a Evo or Harley shop you trust give em a few hours time and pay see what they come up with if you get stumped. Again they tend to run forever if you replace the inner cam bearings and rebuild or replace the carbs.

Good luck, you will get there.

Old 07-25-2018, 05:28 PM
Bcum1
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put some stock HD plugs in it,drained tank put in some 93 octane in it . So far it don’t breakup plugs look clean
maybe even a nice ride in store tomorrow till the rains come again
thanks all

Old 07-29-2018, 04:08 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,405 Likes on 4,014 Posts

Hope you got it fixed with the new plugs...

If I may be so bold as to offer a little advice....

Get the Harley Service, & Electrical Diagnostic Manual. Some old ones can be purchased new, or you can usually find used ones on eBay. They won't be cheap, but will pay for themselves in short order. I also get the parts manual... the exploded parts diagrams help me a lot, as I'm a visual learner... If you have, or can read online, the owner's manual for your bike, it will list the HD part numbers for those manuals in the back.

Also, not sure what you mean by "BMW mechanic guy", but I'm gonna guess you're not a BMW Factory Tech, working in a BMW shop... Day one vehicle repair, is to diagnose the problem first, then replace the bad part(s)... just throwing parts at a problem can be an expensive, long process. Unless you get real lucky.... it's not a good way to try to fix a problem. I've never known a BMW shop to work that way.... In any case, the above manuals can help you with your trouble shooting and reaching a proper diagnoses...

Once you getting running well, you should love that bike. My EVO was trouble free and maintenance only, for the 60K miles I owned it...

Last edited by hattitude; 07-29-2018 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:48 PM
98fat
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gas tank

One thing i didn't mention was my 98 had sit for a while before i bought it and the gas tank had rusted, it ran awful until I had it coated once again.