Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedometer Fogging repair?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 01:24 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Speedometer Fogging repair?

Has anyone sent in their Stock Harley Speedometer to a shop and had the fogging glass staining issue repaired with goods results? My 2018 Slim has the same issue everyone else is having and ultimately the drying wetting ruins and stains the glass. My dealer is aware of the older SB that Harley has been working on a fix for many years and to date, no resolution. I'd just replace the gauge with an aftermarket like I had done on my 10 Streetglide but nobody seems to be making one for the Slim that's plug and play with all of the same factory functions such as gas gauge etc built in.
Thanks for any insight...

Old 07-12-2018, 01:56 PM
AV8BDriver
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the issue with my 2018 Fatboy. It looks like the glass is slightly fogged during the hottest part of the day. Mostly when there is direct sunlight on the speedo glass.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:10 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 440 Likes on 321 Posts

I think the answers you're looking for, and probably don't want to hear are in this thread

If you're washing your bike, don't unless there is no other way to clean it. I rarely use water on my bike and it looks as good today as the day I took delivery. If you ride in the rain or have to park outside it's probably something you're going to have to live with.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:31 PM
AV8BDriver
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I have 505 miles on my bike and it has only been wiped down with a detailer spray. It have never been in the rain and I have never so much as driven it through a puddle of water. I wondered if there was some sort of condensation build up due to humidity.

The following users liked this post:
Maccam26 (08-02-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 02:52 PM
Rickr01
Club Member

Originally Posted by iHodor
I think the answers you're looking for, and probably don't want to hear are in this thread

If you're washing your bike, don't unless there is no other way to clean it. I rarely use water on my bike and it looks as good today as the day I took delivery. If you ride in the rain or have to park outside it's probably something you're going to have to live with.
It doesn't seem to matter if washed, cold outside hot outside etc. The issue leaves stains on the glass that over time, renders pieces of the gauge unreadable and the fact that Harley's been aware of the problem for some time, indicates they have a problem not being addressed. If it dried out and left no stains it wouldn't be as bad. I'd like to find an aftermarket speedo with identical functions as I did for my Streetglide but that doesn't seem to be the case for the All in one 2018 Speedos.
That said, I hoped someone here with the problem had tried a shop for repair and could make a recommendation based on a success story?

Old 07-12-2018, 02:53 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 440 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by AV8BDriver
Well I have 505 miles on my bike and it has only been wiped down with a detailer spray. It have never been in the rain and I have never so much as driven it through a puddle of water. I wondered if there was some sort of condensation build up due to humidity.
If you're sure they didn't wash it down at the dealership, and you haven't I'm not sure what else it could be.

When I take mine in for the 1K service I plan on telling them I don't want it washed when they're done.

On other bikes that I also refrained from washing I have had condensation, usually on cold mornings that then turn hot. It's not double-pane glass so it stands to reason that certain environmental conditions can result in condensation. But if the bike is washed and some water seeps in it will almost certainly take longer for that to be burned off and dried out than simple condensation.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:39 AM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by AV8BDriver
Yes, all you need is a day or two of high humidity for it to happen. It doesn't necessarily take rain or wash water for it to happen.

For those that may be thinking of getting it sealed, be careful. If not done right, you'll create a trapped atmosphere in it and if it's not bone dry, you'll make the problem worse..

Old 07-13-2018, 08:07 AM
Rickr01
Club Member

The nature of the thread is the resulting glass staining from the constant wet / dry cycle and if anyone has successfully sent a speedo to one of the many shops to be modified and had success doing it?

Old 07-17-2018, 02:52 PM
Rickr01
Club Member

I'm told that there is an anti fog powdered coating on the glass that is causing the staining issue. A speedometer company claims they remove the coating and the issue is rectified permanently. I'm going to give them a try.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:00 PM
gdishman
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I had a 2008 Nightster that had the same problem. I removed the speedo and carefully removed the speedo glass bezel and glass. Took a razor blade and remove the coating from the inside of the glass. I Carefully put speedo back together and never had that issue again. The only draw back is the black coating on the stainless steel bezel that holds the glass on peeled off.

The following users liked this post:
Rickr01 (07-18-2018)

Quick Reply: Speedometer Fogging repair?