Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please explain this clutch adjustment question

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 01:55 AM
P51Driver
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Please explain this clutch adjustment question

I have a 2018 Lowrider and I have noticed that the clutch engages and disengages when the lever is almost all the way out away from the grip.
I have smaller hands and I find this to be problematic as the engage/disengage point is too far out for my smaller hands. I realize that any clutch cable freeplay adjustment is no longer an option with the new yellow automatic cable freeplay mechanism. So when adjusting the clutch pack adjuster screw out 3/4 of a turn as opposed to 1/2 turn create the desired effect of moving the clutch lever closer to the grip for engagement and disengagement of the clutch?

Last edited by P51Driver; 07-14-2018 at 02:43 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:25 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 3,012 Posts

Where's the question, just looks like a statement with a question mark?

Last edited by RANGER73; 07-14-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:15 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,376 Likes on 4,002 Posts

Originally Posted by P51Driver
I have a 2018 Lowrider and I have noticed that the clutch engages and disengages when the lever is almost all the way out away from the grip.
I have smaller hands and I find this to be problematic as the engage/disengage point is too far out for my smaller hands. I realize that any clutch cable freeplay adjustment is no longer an option with the new yellow automatic cable freeplay mechanism. So when adjusting the clutch pack adjuster screw out 3/4 of a turn as opposed to 1/2 turn create the desired effect of moving the clutch lever closer to the grip for engagement and disengagement of the clutch?
I haven't seen the 2018 cable clutch system.

Generally speaking, you don't want to move the hand lever position, by adjusting the clutch pack. You want the clutch pack adjusted for proper engagement. If you alter that balance, you could get a clutch that doesn't release all the way or engage all the way.. both conditions are bad for the clutch and can be unsafe.

In the past you set the clutch pack and then adjust the "freeplay" of the handle by the cable adjuster. Are you sure there is no cable adjustment available? Doesn't make sense to me...

However, if there's no cable adjustment, or not enough cable adjustment, you can do what the hydraulic clutch guys do (they can't adjust the clutch or the lever). You can buy one of the levers available that have adjustable positions...

I've never used one, but these have been discussed on several forums. DO a search for them and people seem to like them....

https://www.hogleverage.com/store/c7...h_Only%29.html

Last edited by hattitude; 07-14-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:31 PM
HaqDeluxe
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
I haven't seen the 2018 cable clutch system.

Generally speaking, you don't want to move the hand lever position, by adjusting the clutch pack. You want the clutch pack adjusted for proper engagement. If you alter that balance, you could get a clutch that doesn't release all the way or engage all the way.. both conditions are bad for the clutch and can be unsafe.

In the past you set the clutch pack and then adjust the "freeplay" of the handle by the cable adjuster. Are you sure there is no cable adjustment available? Doesn't make sense to me...

However, if there's no cable adjustment, or not enough cable adjustment, you can do what the hydraulic clutch guys do (they can't adjust the clutch or the lever). You can buy one of the levers available that have adjustable positions...

I've never used one, but these have been discussed on several forums. DO a search for them and people seem to like them....

https://www.hogleverage.com/store/c7...h_Only%29.html
I've chased this rabbit myself and have determined that there is no adjustment in the new softail clutch cable.

The following users liked this post:
hattitude (07-15-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 07:24 PM
Tired
Elite HDF Member
Received 4,423 Likes on 1,687 Posts

I use Oberon adjustables and like them a bunch.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:07 PM
Yzzyx
Cruiser
Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

You can adjust the lever position.

The red tab locks into a grooved barrel. Just choose 1 groove away from the “correct” setup.

One groove difference pulls the engagement point in quite a bit.

If you adjust it too loose the clutch will not fully disengage, so be careful.

I hope this explains the process. If not I will try to explain it better.

hattitude (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 05:05 PM
Yzzyx
Cruiser

More data:

I too am frustrated with the minimal friction zone. Adjusting the lever makes the reach easier but I wanted more zone.

This morning I installed a Rekluse "TorqDrive" clutch pack. It has a *bunch* more plates than the OEM clutch pack.

https://rekluse.com/product/torq-drive-clutch-hd/
https://rekluse.com/support/parts/?itemId=RMS-285E

The friction zone is much wider now and the engagement is soft but positive. It is a real pleasure to use now.

I have had Rekluse auto clutches before so that is how I knew to try their "normal" clutch.

Installation took 2-3 hours only because I work slow. You don't need any super special tools, either.

$400 is a chunk of change, though. (Dennis Kirk sells them.)

Old 07-16-2018, 05:09 PM
Yzzyx
Cruiser

FWIW, I use this primary oil, filled to the bottom of the pressure plate: https://www.redlineoil.com/v-twin-primary-case-oil

Old 07-24-2018, 03:15 PM
Chonk
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

???

I have adjusted the clutch by going to the clutch adjuster that is inline like it always has been. It is now under the black plastic sleeve against the left side downtube of the frame next to the oil cooler (left side as you sit on the bike).

Slide the black cover up, push the red tabs back that hold the adjustment in place (you have to go see it to understand what I'm referring to) and you can spin the lower yellow part which is the same as before to adjust freeplay.

Works for me.

hattitude (07-24-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 03:49 PM
2003flstfi
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a thread a few pages back on the same issue. May find some helpful info there. Good luck

Quick Reply: Please explain this clutch adjustment question