Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need some help !! fatboy 114 vs deluxe 2018

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 06:18 PM
Francois T
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I need some help !! fatboy 114 vs deluxe 2018

Hello everyone,

I have been driving a scout sixty for a year and I like this bike but I think it's time to change it.

The Sixty Indian Scout is a great machine but when I drive a motorbike has to relax my spirit. And I also like acceleration sometimes, the scout d0 it well. But at 60 mph the engine revolution got on my nerves, it runs at 3600-3750rpm after past 60 mph. Thats the reason why i want to go on a bigger engine a engine that can run very smooth, the high revs make me want to go fast and thats not the reason i ride a bike (i have been riding since 3 years now).

I saw the deluxe 2018 and the Fatboy 114 which are two very nice machines. I eliminated the softail slim because it feels like a small bike when I'm on it and my knee is hitting the intake way too much and the riding position(I am 5'8, 240 Fatboy ). I was at the Harley shop for the fat boy 114, i like the look of it all original i dont see something i dont like about it, at first the seat was weird i felt cramp like if the bike was too small then after 10 secs i found my hole in the seat, pretty comfortable, such a sexy mean machine. My scout has mini ape on it with forward controls pegs, the little scout have plenty space on it.

Then it happened...

The 2018 deluxe in black, Its a instant classic remind me of a old Harley (white walls, chrome). Like the fat boy 114 i liked everything on it and when i sat on it, it was insta comfort, i didn't had to search for a comfort zone in the seat. The sight of the deluxe made me hesitate, the part that i dont like on the deluxe weirdly is that you cant ride on it if its dirty, all that chrome has to shine (ya i know its in my head, im not a clean freak, but you cant ride a not shinny deluxe and i dont want to shine it everyday).

I plan to keep the bike for a long time, i choose a softail because im not a long rider i like country roads riding and city ride (bar hoping), Not in my intentions to ride 12 hours a day i dont say i would but softail seems a step in bigger bike direction.

Tomorrow im planned for a test ride on a Fatboy 114, there is no deluxe for test. The dealer tell me they are the same platform so they should behave the same outside from the big wheels on Fatboy and the different approach in the curve. The only big bike i ever tried is a indian Dark horse and i had to get used to shift in lower RPMs.

Can you guys enlight (tips)me on those two motorcycle (deluxe, Fat Boy 114), Damn hard choice to make. What would be the thing that would make your choice between both? (money ain't going to be a issue im not gonna chose for a 3-4k difference). What are the pros and cons of both bike ? Is the deluxe will still be a viable for resell in 5 years or due to is more common type bike, will the big wheels on a Fatboy could make a bad ride in the long run, is the Fatboy a flavor of the year (i find the Fatboy very appealing, i like its steam roller look, even the front light). Those bike are complete opposite the futur and the vintage classic.I will buy with saddlebags to do some 3-4 hours runs, and maybe slip-ons (damn police in Quebec).

Help!! im torn between those two, ill prolly do my move tomorrow if the ride goes well. This would be my first Harley and id plan to keep it for a long time.

Thank you!

Old 07-18-2018, 04:03 AM
BiG.TC
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

First fund a dealer that will let you test ride both bikes. They are both softails. But do ride and handle different. And the deluxe only comes with the 107 and Fatboy can get the 114. I have ridden both and own a 114 heritage. And I can feel difference between both motors.
Then after riding both you can make a more clear decesion.

Old 07-18-2018, 04:30 AM
bailer
Advanced
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

The Deluxe was my first choice as well. If you are worried about too much chrome you could look at the Heritage.
I picked it because you can get the 114”. Stripped down it is pretty much a Deluxe. Mine has the HD 12” apes on it.

The following 2 users liked this post by bailer:
desertwolf (07-26-2018), Francois T (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 05:19 AM
M8_Softails
Tourer
Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

I had both and preferred the Fatboy. The deluxe is very nice but I don't like laced wheels and prefer tubeless tires. Also like you said cleaning spokes and whitewalls can be a pain.
The deluxe may be a bit more nimble but not a lot.

Only downside I can think of about the fatboy is that I heard the rear fat tire wears fast. I put the 16 saddlebags on my FB. They were better than the new ones and did not need a turn signal relo kit.

The following users liked this post:
Francois T (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 05:41 AM
army_eod
Road Warrior
Received 589 Likes on 291 Posts

You really need to look at the Heritage. It is a Deluxe with bags and shield, which you will probably end up wanting anyway. You can put whitewalls on it if you want. The blacked out Heritage is the shiz. I know, I just bought it. I also own a 2018 Indian Scout which is a nice bike; too expensive, but OK. It will be the better half's ride since she is small and a 530 lb bike is easier than a 700 lb bike for her.

Last edited by army_eod; 07-18-2018 at 05:44 AM.
Francois T (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 06:40 AM
HP1
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Bags

Originally Posted by M8_Softails
I had both and preferred the Fatboy. The deluxe is very nice but I don't like laced wheels and prefer tubeless tires. Also like you said cleaning spokes and whitewalls can be a pain.
The deluxe may be a bit more nimble but not a lot.

Only downside I can think of about the fatboy is that I heard the rear fat tire wears fast. I put the 16 saddlebags on my FB. They were better than the new ones and did not need a turn signal relo kit.

I am interested in putting panniers on a fat boy. Was it easy?

Francois T (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 06:51 AM
M8_Softails
Tourer
Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by HP1
I am interested in putting panniers on a fat boy. Was it easy?
The 16/17 bags are easy to install. With the 18 bags you have to remove the struts and put a turn signal relocation kit in. Also extend the wiring. It also has brackets that bolt to the frame. It was not a good design. Mine came loose because only one bolt holds the turn signal and license plate holder. I returned them and bought the 17 bags which they had in stock. They just bolt to the two strut bolts on each side.

Old 07-18-2018, 02:49 PM
HP1
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Thanks

M8 thanks for that information

Old 07-18-2018, 06:01 PM
TXFLDE
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I went to look at the new Softails I rode the Breakout and then the Fatboy both with the 114. After riding them the Breakout felt like to much weight on my hands. The Fatboy felt fine I just couldn't completely get used to the headlight. Then I saw an electric blue Deluxe out of the corner of my eye and asked to ride it. When I test rode it I was sold because in my opinion it was more comfortable and handled better than the FB or BO. Also the power did not seem to be much different. The 107 has plenty of power and seems stronger everyday. The Heritage would be a great bike also but I like chrome and I don't like saddlebags on Softails. However in the end go with your gut your the one making the payment. Here's my Deluxe 😁

Cage-Free (11-24-2020)
Old 07-19-2018, 09:41 AM
Francois T
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a test ride on 3 models yesterday, Fatboy 114, Heritage 114, Road king in order.

At first, the Fatboy felt awkward with the turning but it took 15 minutes and i was able to adjust to it (It would take 2-3 rides to get comfortable with it). The Fatboy putted a smile on my face it really recall me the fun ride of my scout sixty but 10x better, i caught myself laughing alone and throwing some Arnold terminator liners (cheesy but it happened) , a truly fun and bad *** ride. I dont know if it would do well on a 4-5 hours run but what a ride. It have the reason why i love to ride motorcycle and the thing look so sexy and superb riding position and the thing has so much torque.

Then it was the Heritage 114 all black. The Heritage feels like a perfect ride, superb suspension, like i was riding on a cloud. The handling in the turn was a shock, damn it turn better than my little scout such a easy ride with the power of the 114. That machine come full equipped, ready to do 4-5 hours rides in easy mode and the sound from stock pipes was cool and better than Fatboy, seat very comfortable only a little buffeting from the windshield on the highway (Im not use to ride bike with windshield). Everything feel at his place on that bike, wonderful machine. With all the pluses on this bike something is weird ... The heritage didn't bring me the smile on my face. I didn't felt the badass like on Fatboy or like the dealer said Fatboy is a aggressive bike, totally different from heritage that it seems to be more a rider bike. Wonderful machine. Only thing on the Heritage 114 i felt more heat from the engine than the Fatboy a lot more. Heritage feels like a bike that can do it all and it look great without the windshield and bags (i thought the bags were quick detach)

At the end i tried the road king, to feel a touring bike. Very fun bike. I felt like the 107 was more suitable for the ride i did, i felt that it was running better. i did all legal speed zone all my ride where in solo no Harley chaps to follow, i had choose my roads and high way. The Road king was nimble less than the heritage but the engine respond was very fun and at its place. I felt pretty cramp in the rider triangle my feet weren't at the right place on the floorboard, my feet were under the controls and have to move them too much to use the brake. The engine was really fun. Bad handle bars.

At the end i was in the vendor room and asked for the estimation on both Fatboy and Heritage. Sadly the dealers was so hard-nosed that i had to leave the place. Impossible to get a deal and gave me a ridicule price for my machine, i was not even allowed to deal for 700$, not even a dollar in accessories. Im not impressed at all of that dealer. Tomorrow i will try to go to a dealer 1h30 from where i live. People had warn me about that place... They have lost a client, I was there to buy( a client that bought 2 new bikes in 3 years). Did you guys were able to get good negotiation with your vendor ?

Good side : It will leave me the night to think about my choice to. The fun factor attitude of the Fatboy VS the almost perfect ride of the heritage. Smart choice would be Heritage but heart choice would be Fatboy.

Thank for the input on the Heritage i wouldn't have thought about that beautiful machine !!!!!

Sorry for my so so english

Quick Reply: I need some help !! fatboy 114 vs deluxe 2018