Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil change and Trans change on 2006 Fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 08:57 AM
law14w
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil change and Trans change on 2006 Fatboy

I want to thank everyone that helped with my oil change questions. I am posting this to put the information I received in to one post.

Tools needed 3/8 allen for the tramission fill stick,and smaller allen for the engine oil bolts and drain plug
you have to put a mirror underneath the bike if it's on the jiffy stand. once you put a mirror you will be able to see the bolt between the shocks. This bolt is the tramission drain plug. I had to crank on this bolt to loosen it, b/c the loctite on it. Don't do what I did. I was looking in the mirror cranking on this bolt. Well silly you have to remember everthing is opposite when your looking in the mirror. so if your going right in the mirror you actually want to go left. I guess I shouldn't have smoked before i started this project. Anyways I drained the oil and that **** was dirty. That was my first change at 7,ooo miles. I know I shouldn't have waited that long. I changed the Engine oil at 3,000 then at 7,000. The oil is easy to change on my bike. The drain plug is on the pipe side in the back corner underneath the bike. Use the allen to loosen it and drain. I used a turkey roasting pan tenfoil for a oil pan. The owners's manual did not help me very much at all. I owe all to the people in this forum that helpled me. I saved $189 dollars. That is what the stealer wants fora oil change. Again thank you for all your help. FYI my bike takes 3.5 quarts of engine oil. 20w 50. My trans takes 26oz of transmisson/primary oil. I use Harley Davidson.