Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King to Heritage Classic ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 10:58 PM
desertwolf
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by rjacobs
Between a 17 and an 18, 18 no questions asked.

As the prior owner of a 17 Heritage and now an 18 Slim(I know the slim is not an 18 Heritage), the difference is night and day. Beyond the motor, which I feel is leaps and bounds over the twin-cam, the suspension is crazy good now. My buddy likened my 18 slim to riding a sport bike in how it handles. He also has time on a prior generation softail(I believe a heritage).

The only thing I dont like about the new heritage is all the black on it. The Deluxe, to me, is a much better looking bike, but to add the windshield and bags is somewhere around another 1000 bucks.
And that's the other way I've been thinking …. I like the chrome on the Deluxe, not sure if I really like all the black of the Heritage and various reports of people not liking the stock Heritage bags. So, buy a Deluxe and put the bags on I like and maybe a windshield.

Old 07-20-2018, 01:56 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Traded my ‘16 Road King for my ‘18 Heritage. No regrets. Yeah the bags aren’t quite as roomy, but they work for me and the rest of the bike is night and day above.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:09 AM
stinkerbill
Road Captain
Received 171 Likes on 82 Posts

I love the new Heritage - post-war retro blacked out styke

the Deluxe is beautiful , but a little too ‘jukebox Chome’ for me

im guessing decent bags and a screen on the price of the Deluxe is gonna come out more that just buying a Heritage?

Old 07-20-2018, 06:57 AM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

Why not wait till the 19's come out. HD may offer the Heritage in chrome. The 18 Heritage is a good riding bike. I like it better than the older models. I hate the bags and all the blacked out parts. I Still like the Road King better than the new Heritage. Go test ride one or try and rent 1 for a day. See if it floats your boat. Change is good every now and then.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:36 PM
desertwolf
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Thingfish
Traded my ‘16 Road King for my ‘18 Heritage. No regrets. Yeah the bags aren’t quite as roomy, but they work for me and the rest of the bike is night and day above.
That's impressive. Did you ride two up on the Road King? Have you rode two up on the Heritage? How do the two bikes compare in terms of handling and comfort for the passenger when rode two up?

Old 07-21-2018, 07:27 AM
army_eod
Road Warrior
Received 589 Likes on 291 Posts

Look up the videos on the 2018 M8 bikes done by Matt Laidlaw.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:35 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by desertwolf
That's impressive. Did you ride two up on the Road King? Have you rode two up on the Heritage? How do the two bikes compare in terms of handling and comfort for the passenger when rode two up?
Yes, wife and son rode on back of both a few times. She did like the floorboards on the king (he didn’t), but overall comfort was equivelant and the rear suspension on the Heritage was much better.

The Heritage is lighter and nimbler than the RK, although it does have slightly less lean angle, although with a passenger I never got close to scraping as I don’t push as aggressively two up. Solo riding I’ve scraped mildly a few times, but I ride some crazy technical mountain and canyon roads keeping up with friends (and my wife) on Ducati’s and such bikes. For my taste there is plenty of lean angle for the Heritage.

The only trade off, aside from smaller bags with a few design quirks, is the lighter Heritage is less inertia going down the road which means it reacts a bit more to road irregularities than the 100lbs heavier RK. The Heritage is still plenty heavy and refined / stabile going down the road, but the king is slightly more sedate as i’s weight just seems to steamroll over things a bit more. It’s just physics. That said I VASTLY prefer the lightness of the Heritage and 2-up it’s much less of an issue as the passenger adds enough extra weight. It also usually helps to switch to MCII tires from stockers which always seem to follow road lines too easily. Still got a few thousand miles on my tires so I’ll have to wait to test that out.

The following users liked this post:
desertwolf (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 11:32 PM
Wilbo_1999
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the 18 Slim because of the black on the Haritage and I did not like the bags at all.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:00 AM
jrap
Advanced
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

maybe go join Eagle rider club for $30/month and rent both for full days, maybe even a street and road glide too! Cheap all-day test rides will give you all the info you need to make your decision.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:15 AM
FLSL
Advanced
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilbo_1999
I got the 18 Slim because of the black on the Haritage and I did not like the bags at all.
Ditto, and I put on Ends Cuoio bags (albeit not as big as the Heritage bags, but great for how I use them), windshield, HD p-pad, backrest, cruise control, chrome rocker and cam cover, black primary and tranny covers and a black engine guard for $1800...AND only paid $15k for the bike, no freight, no setup and free 1k service....which is WAY cheaper than I could get on

a stock Heritage.

Last edited by FLSL; 07-22-2018 at 09:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
desertwolf (07-23-2018)

Quick Reply: Road King to Heritage Classic ?