Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer replaced my speedo under warranty and the new one was already fogging after 5 minutes. FY HD!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 10:45 PM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankEV
I think this proposal would be a lot of work, have the bike out of service for some extended amount of time, and would not result in any kind of permanent fix. The silica packs are very cheap and take minutes to stuff under the console with no disasembly of the speedo required. Now, if you can figure out a way of filling the void under the console with rice it might work.
Silica Gel packs would be just as worthless. Unless you sealed the console air tight, they would absorb moisture from the air as the console breathed until they were full, then you'd be right back to stage 1. The only difference is that you could remove the rice and cook it later.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:52 AM
mtippett
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same thing happen twice....two fogged speedos. Could always be worse!

Old 08-17-2018, 11:05 AM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,593 Likes on 9,811 Posts

I dunno if anyone posted this yet but, "You dont need a speedometer..."

Old 08-17-2018, 02:32 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

The Speedometer does not leak from the top. (If it does, yours needs to be replaced) It leaks up from the bottom. To use Silica Gel , you need to take console off and roll over. See if there is room to hot melt glue a small pill bottle to the bottom. If there is, drill a small hole in the bottom of the head and hot melt end of a drilled pill bottle filled with dry Silica Gel wrapped in a cloth bag. My old Softail had room for a bottle cut off. Also has room under there for my garage opener attached to a matching switch to the odometer on the right side.

Old 08-18-2018, 09:09 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,406 Likes on 4,014 Posts

Originally Posted by ole_phart
Nope they don’t. Guess this is what happens when you have a company with bikers pretending they’re engineers. .

I tend to believe there are some frustrated engineers at the MoCo, with a lot of good ideas and improvements being put down by the board of directors, who are only looking at, and trying to protect, the bottom line........ That's how they keep their jobs!

I also believe that for all the "issues" that have popped up over the years, including the oil transfer & sumping of the M8s, there are people at the MoCo who know what is wrong and how to fix it properly. But here are also people at the MoCo trying to minimize impact to their bottom line and hide the issues/fix to limit their financial liability. Just look at politics... if you deny, deny, deny when confronted with an issue, for some reason, "people" will eventually accept your denial , and then commend you for your determination....!!

In the first half of the 20th Century, the MoCo beat and/or out-lasted their competition. When I started riding the early 70's, Harley was unique. I loved their design, sound, and just that Harley "look". For many, many years now, the MoCo has gotten people to look past shortcomings for the "history", the "lifestyle", and the "coolness" factor of their bikes compared to the competition. The MoCo has a masterful marketing machine....

With the changing times, I think this formerly successful operating model will eventually bite the MoCo in the butt..... Those who LOVE motorcycles, live motorcycles, and ride them regularly are dying off. The newer generation, as a whole, is no where near as enamored with the motorcycle as past generations.. The motorcycle market is shrinking... I think quality is going to displace "lifestyle" as a main product selection criteria... the MoCo better wake up..

Of course, I could be wrong.....

Old 08-18-2018, 01:14 PM
ole_phart
Road Master

Received 580 Likes on 362 Posts

I remember as a kid, 50's and 60's, seeing and hearing a Harley and going "wow". We had a tiny shop in the town where I grew up, I don't know if it was a gen-u-wine Harley dealer or an independent. All I can remember is every time my parents drove by it the car back seat window always got smeared with my breath and nose grease, my face against that window, looking at the bikes through the shops window and dreaming. Yeah, I was smitten at a young age and always will be, Harley warts and all. It does get maddening tho'. I guess what that all boils down to is, we're a dying breed and as much as I hate to say it, the MoCo needs to look for a new audience.

To get back on track I rode today with a console stuffed full of desiccant packets. No luck. They've been in there only a couple days so maybe it takes awhile.

Last edited by ole_phart; 08-18-2018 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:13 PM
2wheelwanderer
Road Master

Received 518 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Know for a fact that they have been working on this since 2004. They are going to get it fixed. They just hired a Lay's Potato Chip Bag Engineer.
Does anyone believe the Harley Mother Ship People ever read forums?
This will ruffle a few feathers here, but MAYBE they should hire the retired instrument cluster engineer from a 1976 CB 750 design. Those still don't fog, and they don't need repairs to display the proper speed going down the road. Harley got flack for asking Porsche for help with the V-Rod. It was cute, but water cooled was new to them (even if the tech was 80 years old). But they've been making speedo's for how long now? And you are going to a potato chip manufacturer to figure this **** out? Honestly, they are going to release an electric bike relatively soon and they can't fog proof a speedo?? How shady of quality will that market base tolerate, or accept, with a HD nameplate on the tank? Me thinks it won't matter a bit.

It ain't right Harley Davidson. Get your act together. Pretty only gets you so far in life. Eventually the wrinkles will (and are) showing. If you tank, it will be your own undoing. I hope you get things right.

Old 08-19-2018, 01:12 PM
blackSP
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Im going to push this to the limit where I can. Before winter I'll claim a new one, than next spring again after which I'll ask the dealer for an aftermarket speedo. By then there should be severely on the market.

Hmmm