Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street glide to 2018 Low Rider?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 03:20 PM
druski
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Street glide to 2018 Low Rider?

Hoping to get some opinions on this one...

Went by the dealer today to check out their swap meet and rode this:

I was surprised with how much I liked it. The fairing kept a good amount of wind off my chest and I didn't have any buffeting on my helmet. I was also happy with how the M8 ran with a stage I, that seems to be a really good engine.

Currently I ride a 2014 Street Glide that and I enjoy it, but it tends to drive me a bit crazy with the lack of lean angle when I go riding the mountains. I know that the Glide and Low Rider are not sport bikes (I used to ride sport bikes), but the Low Rider seems to be a bit more fun overall.

I ride solo 99% percent of the time (the wife hates being on the back of the bike), occasionally my son will take a ride with me. I commute to work as often as possible, ride in the GA mountains on the weekend as much as time allows and I do a few short/medium/long trips a year. I don't want to have to go back to wearing a backpack like I did when I was on a sport bike, so that is definitely a concern.

***edited to add this*** I wouldn't buy the bike from the dealership with all the work done like the one in the pic. I'd like to buy it bone stock and get the parts and do the work myself, I think I can get a better deal that way. But I would be aiming for a bike with this look.

I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to seriously regret getting rid of the glide and going back to a non-batwing faired and saddlebag-less bike. Hoping there are some people on this forum who have done just that and can give me some feedback on what they think now that they made the switch.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by druski; 09-02-2018 at 03:22 PM. Reason: added info
Old 09-02-2018, 03:48 PM
Mark Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Have you checked out the Sport Glide? Similar looks, and you get bags.

The following users liked this post:
druski (09-02-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 04:07 PM
druski
Tourer

I did...but something about that bike doesn't "do it" for me. I know that may sounds stupid, just not sure how else to explain it.

Old 09-02-2018, 05:20 PM
708encore
Cruiser
Received 71 Likes on 33 Posts

I haven’t riden my Electra Glide since I bought my Low Rider it’s just too much fun

druski (09-02-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 05:54 PM
fdh161
Supporter
Received 193 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by druski
I did...but something about that bike doesn't "do it" for me. I know that may sounds stupid, just not sure how else to explain it.
I'm in a similar situation, Druski. I have an '18 FatBob I'm looking at trading for a Low Rider. I know everyone has a preferred riding style, but I'm DONE with the forward controls on the Bob. So ready to go back to mids! Looked at the Sport, but same issue.

Old 09-02-2018, 07:14 PM
druski
Tourer

Originally Posted by 708encore
I haven’t riden my Electra Glide since I bought my Low Rider it’s just too much fun
708encore....that's kind of what I wanted to hear. Have you had a chance to put in a good amount of miles while on the Low Rider? I don't expect it to be the Street Glide on trips, but I'm hoping it's versatile enough to be competent on trips. But, when I'm honest with myself 90% of my riding I'm within the state of Georgia.

Old 09-02-2018, 07:15 PM
druski
Tourer

Originally Posted by fdh161
I'm in a similar situation, Druski. I have an '18 FatBob I'm looking at trading for a Low Rider. I know everyone has a preferred riding style, but I'm DONE with the forward controls on the Bob. So ready to go back to mids! Looked at the Sport, but same issue.
fdh161...I feel your pain man. I'm probably way over thinking this decision, but I'm really nervous to pull the trigger

Old 09-02-2018, 09:56 PM
Colorado Mac
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 359 Likes on 276 Posts

Ride what makes you the most happy. They are two different kinds of bikes, built for different kinds of riding. It seems pretty clear which one you prefer. There will always be trade offs, regardless of which bike you choose.

Old 09-03-2018, 12:04 AM
708encore
Cruiser
Received 71 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by druski
708encore....that's kind of what I wanted to hear. Have you had a chance to put in a good amount of miles while on the Low Rider? I don't expect it to be the Street Glide on trips, but I'm hoping it's versatile enough to be competent on trips. But, when I'm honest with myself 90% of my riding I'm within the state of Georgia.
Right now I’m at 800 miles which isn’t too bad considering I travel for a living. I live in SoCal and I wouldn’t hesitate to ride it anywhere. I did add a Saddlemen seat, leather pros bags, windshield and forward controls.

druski (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 06:48 AM
Gorion
Tourer

Received 336 Likes on 192 Posts
Smile

I love the new low rider. Of course I'm a little biased.

Quick Reply: Street glide to 2018 Low Rider?