Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laid down my 2018 breakout 114

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 09:57 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

All good advice above. Glad you’re in one piece. Aside from slick road surface, sand/gravel, cold tires, speed into the turn...one additional cause could be throttleing up too much in the turn. If you increasing speed to come out of the turn it may have overwhelmed your tire’s traction...easier with cold tires.

One concern is you mentioned the frame’s bent...that’s usually “totaled” in insurance world.

Take your time and get your road legs as a rider, and specifically with this bike. Best of luck.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:18 AM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

As was said and based on your description, you probably hit some crap in the road. Always keep you're eyes on the road surface. Particularly look for sand, gravel, dirt and oil, even dampness from the dew. That is obviously most important in any curve. Never ride in the center of a lane as that's where things tend to gather. Look at some of the YouTube videos. You'll see people go down for no apparent reason and then they find out they hit some light oil. If I were you I'd get in the car and go back to that curve and have a look around. See what you can see..

I got into some fresh hydraulic oil once from a leaking garbage truck. It happened in front if me so there really wasn't much I could do about it except not to do anything stupid. The pucker factor was so great I think I sucked the bike off the ground. It took me about 10 miles to scrub the fluid off if the tires, but it was really tricky until I did..

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 09-10-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:18 AM
Bone101
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Could be fine rubber and diesel laid down by trucks or busses in that corner, i normally slow down and try not to lean to much in corners.
Welcome here on the forum and greetings from the Netherlands

Old 09-10-2018, 10:53 AM
Mark Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Oil, diesel on the road? That will make the tyre let go real fast. Cold tyre certainly won't help, and neither will giving it too much throttle when lent over.

I have an '18 Breakout, i find it really stable through corners, and i ride mine like i stole it. Steering is on the lazier side, but it handles really well; certainly a huge improvement over the previous Breakouts, but it's still no sports bike. I've put 3000 miles on mine in 2 months. Would have been a lot more, but i'm on emergency call every other week, and don't get to ride apart from my commute. I took it really easy for the first 1000 miles, getting to know the bike, and building confidence. The rake and 240 tyre take a little getting used to, but i don't find it any more difficult than any other bike, it's just a different style of riding, and i find it suits me really well.

Glad your ok and that the accident hasn't put you off. I hope you get may years of enjoyment out of your Breakout.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:59 AM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

i didnt read the replys but yeah, not sure if you did or not but you should be accelerating through the turns, all braking should be done before the turn then when you start your slightly accelerating, this helps to keep your tires on the road. When i first started i use to let up on the gas completely through the turns. If your doing that dont. If you were accelerating through the turn and your back tire came out and you werent braking then you hit gravel or oil.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:06 AM
JokerBroker
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First of all, I'm glad you're okay after going down at that speed. As a 114 Breakout owner, I would like to reiterate what others have said about it most likely being something slippery on the road. The back end of that bike doesn't just let go without warning. I admit the wider tires take a bit more effort to lean over but once you have these bikes in a turn, they hold a nice line through corners. In fact, I've found that the wider tires actually help with things like big cracks in the road and tar snakes. I would only change the handlebars if you don't like how they put your back into a small forward lean angle but I think drag bars help the rider control the bike more than many other alternatives. New tires can be slippery, especially on the sidewalls since they don't get used much but it doesn't sound like you were riding that aggressively and it hasn't been cold enough in Michigan to use tire temps as a reason either. On a side note, one tip I learned decades ago about turning a motorcycle and I still focus on it today is to point your nose where you want the bike to go. This technique applies to low speed maneuvers like turning your bike around in a tight area as well as going into higher speed turns. If you stare at a guard rail because you came into a turn too fast or a pothole, guess what you are going to run into? Force yourself to turn your whole head and that helps you turn the bike. It also makes it easier to see what's coming around the bend sooner and of course, you can see trouble on the road surface sooner.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:21 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

This is a VERY unusual set of responses to the OP's question. Almost everyone is trying to blame the slide on something other than the OP.

Most often in these threads everyone would be jumping up and down to blame the rider. I'm not saying what is been said is not possible, but without being too harsh, shouldn't the Op be looking at himself. "New rider, tought bike to handle"...his own words.

And come on, blaming it on new or cold tires, give me a break. On a SLIGHT (his words) curve (not a corner), even if it started to let go, as soon as the throttle was released the bike would have stood straight up. He had to do "something" to force the bike down. Without knowing what he actualy did he won't learn anything. Most, if not all, of you have had a back end get loose only to pull it out and never think about it again. That is training and experience. The OP took a course and got an endorsement...that does not mean he has had enough training and of course, from his own admission, he has verry little experience. Without annalizing what he did wrong he will never gain either. Giving him a break based on "hypothetical" road conditions is just not the most helpful approach. He never said he saw anything wrong on the road.

The following 3 users liked this post by FrankEV:
bmedeiros678 (10-24-2021), mtippett (09-11-2018), XRX (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 11:21 AM
runnhrd
Road Master
Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Sorry about the spill but with you saying "frame bent" most insurance companies I have worked with that is an automatic total of a motorcycle. Unless they will let you purchase it as a salvage title.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:31 PM
Juice114
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$5700 for the insurance claim with the bent frame. The bikes base price was around 22k. The insurance adjuster said they池e fixing it because it痴 an expensive bike to replace. Makes sense to me. FrankEV, I知 freely able to admit that it was likely my own fault. No shame. That痴 why I made sure I had good insurance. I just came here to get some good advice. Which I did. From you too. All good things I値l keep in mind. This is a cool forum! I知 sure I値l use it again in the future. Thanks for the input everyone.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:32 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts

Welcome and sorry to hear about your incident. I'm glad you are OK and hope you learn from it.

I have gone down a couple of times in the recent passed, about a year ago on one and about a year and a half ago on the other. The first was due to me getting on the throttle too hard while trying to take a 90* turn at an intersection. I had a car round a corner and I wanted to get going quickly so I punched it while leaned over and learned the edge of the tread didn't grip real well under hard acceleration.

The second time I hit a patch of ice that was laid down by a street sweeper one super cold morning and it caused my front tire to slide out while rounding a corner. Both were my fault even though the second one was due to road conditions, I was not paying enough attention to realize the conditions before they became an issue. Obviously neither one felt good but I was able to recall my actions at the time of the crash and inspect the road surface in the area of both crashes and discovered what I did wrong in both scenarios and took something away from both to help me improve my riding skills and awareness of conditions. I still have tons to learn as most of us do but try to pay attention to what you're doing while riding and when things like this do happen, it is a bit easier to recall and figure out what you were doing at the time of the crash and try to learn from your mistakes.

Whether there was something on the road surface or not and/or your response to the feeling of the tire breaking loose caused you to go down, this crash is due to the rider doing something wrong. That may have been simply not paying enough attention to the road surface to spot the hazard before it became an issue was in my case with the patch of ice, or it may have been something the rider did such as too much throttle while leaned over in the corner as in my first time going down. Nonetheless if you go down, it typically is due to rider mistakes in most cases and there is always something to learn from it.

I think the OP knows his inexperience and possibly his actions are the cause of this crash since he mentioned his skill level and admitted to being inexperienced but he is trying to learn from this by trying to figure out what he did wrong. It may not be pleasing to discover you were the cause of your crash, ask me how I know, but I think it helps you learn from your mistakes and help to reduce the chances of the same thing happening again.

Last edited by Bowhunter8607; 09-10-2018 at 12:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Laid down my 2018 breakout 114