Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screaming Eagle advice for a noob with a Fat Boy 114!

Old 09-19-2018, 10:17 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Most everyone here mentions voiding the warranty by using non Harley exhaust.This is not my understanding from reading the warranty and talking to some Harley people. The specific part mentioned in the warranty that will void the warranty is a non Harley tuner. Correct me if I am wrong and you can site something in writing from HD.

The following users liked this post:
NoahD (09-21-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 01:12 AM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by NoahD
Thanks man! I gotta learn all the lingo!
And it's MOFOCO when you've got the schits with them.

NoahD (09-21-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 01:24 AM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,216 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
Most everyone here mentions voiding the warranty by using non Harley exhaust.This is not my understanding from reading the warranty and talking to some Harley people. The specific part mentioned in the warranty that will void the warranty is a non Harley tuner. Correct me if I am wrong and you can site something in writing from HD.
The tuner is indeed an automatic void.

The exhaust depends. If it is EPA-compliant, you have no worries (unless somehow the exhaust causes a warranty-covered part to fail.)

If the exhaust is not EPA-compliant, then it's not legal for use on the public streets, and using a non-compliant exhaust amounts to defeating the emissions control system, which is a no-no and is something that is specifically listed in the warranty as grounds for voiding the warranty. But, if your dealer doesn't report it, then you might get your repair covered under warranty anyway. You should not count on that, because it basically amounts to relying on the dealer to defraud Harley, but if you have a good relationship with the dealer they may decide to take the gamble. Do not count on such leeway if you're on a road trip and have to get the bike towed to the closest dealer though.

So: EPA-compliant headers, slip-ons, or full exhaust? You're good to go, warranty--wise.
Non-compliant pipes, slip-ons, etc? By the letter of the warranty you have voided it, but dealers may or may not report you, at their discretion.
Use a non-HD tuner? Automatic warranty void, and the dealer cannot protect you. As soon as they plug the diagnostic computer in, it will scan for evidence of a non-compliant tune and automatically flag your VIN as voided.

Mchad (09-22-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 11:29 PM
NoahD
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually ended up choosing Rhinehart slip-ons, sold to my by the parts guy at the HD dealership. He said they will not void warranty.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:30 PM
NoahD
Intermediate

Haha!! Okay! Hopefully that won't happen for a while.

Old 09-22-2018, 02:14 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,507 Likes on 2,132 Posts

I actually ended up choosing Rhinehart slip-ons, sold to my by the parts guy at the HD dealership. He said they will not void warranty.
Unless those are new EPA compliant Rineharts, or your dealer will look the other way (doubtful as it means BIG fines) your parts guy lied to you. From what I see, the only Fat Boy slip on’s are NOT compliant.

Good luck...

Old 09-22-2018, 10:26 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

There are federal and state laws concerning warranties. You warranty cannot be voided because you changed your exhaust unless the exhaust caused the problem. If your transmission goes out or your disc wheel cracks or your something unrelated to your slip-ons is faulty then you are covered. Somehow Harley has made too many riders paranoid about losing their warranty coverage. Or...I could be wrong.

Old 09-22-2018, 12:18 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
There are federal and state laws concerning warranties. You warranty cannot be voided because you changed your exhaust unless the exhaust caused the problem. If your transmission goes out or your disc wheel cracks or your something unrelated to your slip-ons is faulty then you are covered. Somehow Harley has made too many riders paranoid about losing their warranty coverage. Or...I could be wrong.
According to HD, defeating any part of the pollution control systems (using non-EPA approved parts) will result in a void of your power train warranty on 2017+ HD's. Removing the cats is defeating a pollution control component. The current Reinharts the OP mentioned do not have cats and are not EPA approved. I believe they are developing slip-ons w/cats that will be OK, but the current ones aren't.

You're welcome to take it to court of course. I can't afford those legal fees personally, nor do I want the headaches.

Dealers service depts are under orders from HD to send a photo of the installed exhaust as well as the ECM data. So do as you will...

ktp1598 (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 08:44 PM
NoahD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mchad
According to HD, defeating any part of the pollution control systems (using non-EPA approved parts) will result in a void of your power train warranty on 2017+ HD's. Removing the cats is defeating a pollution control component. The current Reinharts the OP mentioned do not have cats and are not EPA approved. I believe they are developing slip-ons w/cats that will be OK, but the current ones aren't.

You're welcome to take it to court of course. I can't afford those legal fees personally, nor do I want the headaches.

Dealers service depts are under orders from HD to send a photo of the installed exhaust as well as the ECM data. So do as you will...
Interesting. The dealership is doing the build on Tuesday. I emailed them and specifically asked if the Rhinehart pipes would void the warranty and they responded, no, it wouldn't. I'm in Canada, so maybe it's different? But I have it in writing from the dealership. They sold me the pipes, and doing the install.

Do you think I should ask a third party? Where does the HD state defeating the EPA approved parts will void warranty?

N

Old 09-22-2018, 08:55 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Interesting. The dealership is doing the build on Tuesday. I emailed them and specifically asked if the Rhinehart pipes would void the warranty and they responded, no, it wouldn't. I'm in Canada, so maybe it's different? But I have it in writing from the dealership. They sold me the pipes, and doing the install.

Do you think I should ask a third party? Where does the HD state defeating the EPA approved parts will void warranty?

N
Well, I’m an idiot.

I didn’t see you are in Canada. Forget everything I said. EPA and the consent decree is purely a US issue. Sorry!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Screaming Eagle advice for a noob with a Fat Boy 114!