Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Ride real ride 2018 Deluxe

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 10:18 AM
sumncguy
Road Warrior

Received 213 Likes on 128 Posts
Default First Ride real ride 2018 Deluxe

The weather in NC finally cleared up and I was able to take the bike out for its first REAL (3 hour) ride.
My body stats are
5' 7"
235 lbs (yeah I have a one pack)

Comfort
I was holding on for dear life. Wind shield has been ordered and is on the way. 18" King.

Definitely felt the need to stretch out at times. I think if the floor boards were further away from the frame it would be a more natural riding position. I will look into this. May be some after market I could use. The highway bars are on the way which will provide one or two more foot placement options. I still have the adjustable foot pegs that never sold from the Ultra.

I will definitely need to do something with the seat. I am trying to find a sundowner that I can test .. if that works, I will then see if the Grasshopper will fit with the Sundowner. If there is too much bull surrounding this, Ill probably just bite the bullet and get the Ultimate.

I have to wait for the wind shield and seat .. but the handle bars might need to be adjusted. RIght now .. feeling like 2-4 inches up and 1 to 2 back would do it. But have to wait on the other parts first to see the effect.

Performance
A$$ meter is a ten .. although I didnt hit it hard ... believe in following the mannys break in suggestions .. the M8 does perform much better on a 600 pound platform rather then the 800 pound.
Handling was good. THe bike feels kind of light ... but thats probably because Ive been riding the 800 pound VTX 1800 and the WIng.
Exhaust .. no .. whats Harley doing here ? it needs to be replaced. The WIng rumbles more ... too quiet .. These are on the way

They were hard to find. Not sure why. I usually go with Rinehart. Im an old guy 55 .. dont like loud. I like the deep rumble / tones. The Rineharts sound too loud .. at least for me.

The only other thing I ordered was the two pouch wind sheild bag to carry my tool kit and cell phones .. The motherwells luggage rack should be here today or tomorrow.

So the seat and backrest and some bag 15" x 12" at least to carry my laptop and rain gear.

... ofcourse, I still have the WIng for the long hauls that require I bring along the kitchen sink.

Other observations
The Mirrors were installed too far forward. So when I went for the clutch and brake, my hand hit the bottom of the mirrors. Ill loosen the acorn and move them. Will probably get the Kuryakyn mirror extenders.
Hard to find neutral.
BIke surges forward if starting in first with clutch pulled in.

The following users liked this post:
Graham UK (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 10:29 AM
Ludwig von Buzzthoven
Road Master
Received 639 Likes on 280 Posts

I have an ‘18 Deluxe for just under a year now. I didn’t want to kill the warranty, so I have a complete OEM Stage 1 upgrade, including the SE SC slip ons. The bike runs better, looks better, and sounds a bit better. When the warranty expires, I’ll be going with a FP3 Tuner and new slip ons.

Neutral gets easier to find once you put some miles on it. Mine got easier at around 750-800 miles. I also put a larger OEM shift pedal on it.

re: the stock seat. I think it’s super comfortable, but it’s a little too high and wide for me. I am prob going to switch to a Le Pera Bare Bones once they come out with one for the new Softails.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:34 AM
Graham UK
Tourer
Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

Thanks for these posts. The Deluxe is the only M8 that's caught my eye, but our dealers haven't had any available for test rides, so it's helpful to have your comments

Old 09-19-2018, 12:37 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by sumncguy
Hard to find neutral. BIke surges forward if starting in first with clutch pulled in.
I can find neutral easy when bike is shut down, but with engine running...almost impossible.

Over 4K miles and my Cherry still surges forward when starting in first with clutch pulled in. More so when cold than when hot.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:23 PM
sumncguy
Road Warrior

Received 213 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Ludwig von Buzzthoven
I have an ‘18 Deluxe for just under a year now. I didn’t want to kill the warranty, so I have a complete OEM Stage 1 upgrade, including the SE SC slip ons. The bike runs better, looks better, and sounds a bit better. When the warranty expires, I’ll be going with a FP3 Tuner and new slip ons.

Neutral gets easier to find once you put some miles on it. Mine got easier at around 750-800 miles. I also put a larger OEM shift pedal on it.

re: the stock seat. I think it’s super comfortable, but it’s a little too high and wide for me. I am prob going to switch to a Le Pera Bare Bones once they come out with one for the new Softails.
Yeah .. Ive read alot about this voiding of the contract. I havent heard of many that have had warranties voided because of slip ons. Other stuff .. yes .. but not slip ons.

Old 09-19-2018, 03:02 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Ludwig von Buzzthoven
the stock seat. I think it’s super comfortable, but it’s a little too high and wide for me.
Mean City Cycles can do wonders to the existing seat to make it lower and narrower while improving comfort with their memory foam mod. $$$ a lot less than a new aftermarket seat.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:17 PM
justcruising
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the Sundowner saddle with this rider backrest https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Driver-B...-/142541610408 which work well together and significantly improve the overall ride comfort. I’m 5’9” and with my arm length would now like the bars about 1” back to be perfect. Am also considering a set of beach bars but need to work out if a riser change would be necessary or helpful. Want to also avoid cable changes etc.

Am 56yo and don’t desire loud exhaust anymore either, BUT have grown to really love the stockers on that basis. Finding neutral did improve for me too with a little mileage up. No issue now. Find smoother shifting generally with some pre-loading of the shift lever and some rev matching.

i have the 18” king size windscreen and it is an overall improvement with just occassional buffeting experienced at highway speeds but seems to be only from dirty wind (turbulence) with multi-lane traffic and possibly with some breeze around. Still monitoring. Seems fangs/lowers might help here from suggestions so far. Just need to find the right ones/fit/look.

you might find a few other little quirks, I have .. all posted. A search on FLDE deluxe should bring most out.

Good luck with the setup! Cheers!

Old 09-19-2018, 10:28 PM
Philzy
Novice
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Sweet lookin' bike. I do love the looks of white walls on blue bikes.

You mentioned using the windshield bag for a tool kit and cell phone. If by tool kit you mean the two tools you get with the bike, you'll be fine. I have the two bag version and they are small. I have a cell phone one bag and other contains cigars, matches and a trimmer. They're way too small for anything much larger than a pair of sunglasses.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:54 PM
AKDrifter
Intermediate
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

What is the Ultimate seat? I have the Hammock on my '18 Slim now and it is super sweet. I've had a Sundowner re-worked by Mean City and while it was a huge improvement over the original Sundowner the Hammock is way more comfortable than the MCC Sundowner. Any seat was better than the original seat and I definitely will have MCC do more seats for me but the Hammock I have no need to modify .

Old 09-20-2018, 12:58 AM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Yo,it looks chunky hey !
I like it.

Quick Reply: First Ride real ride 2018 Deluxe