Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your 18+ Fat Boy windshield experience?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 08:35 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts
Default Your 18+ Fat Boy windshield experience?

I think I’ve come to the realization that my Cafe fairing endeavors may not happen, due to the design of the new FB fork. Therefore, since I still want wind protection, especially since winter is coming, and I ride year round, conditions pro of course.

At this point my only choices seem to be the HD windsplitters. I’m hoping people here can convey their experience with both the 15 and 19” versions. I’m 6’ 3” and am thinking the 15” may put the “over the top” wind buffets below my head, leaving my helmet rattle free. I suspect the 19”, which only comes to my neck, will put that buffet zone square in my face.

So if any of you can offer some experiences with these shields, and also include your height, I’d appreciate it.

Thanks.

Old 10-13-2018, 09:34 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,097 Posts

I have three windshields for my '17 Fatboy S and one of them is the smaller HD windsplitter. I like it because it's low and I can see over it easily. The wind flows over my head no problem. No buffeting. I like it in the summer because of the dark tint.

I also have a HUGE HD shield that I sometimes use in the winter, if I have a long trip and it's really cold. NOTHING gets past that shield. I think it's 21 inches or something like that.

Right now on the bike, I have a 15 inch Long Ride Shield with the curve at the top. It also works great. No bufetting, wind goes over the top of my head. I like the light tint.

I'm 5-10.

Old 10-13-2018, 10:29 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by tmac00333
I have three windshields for my '17 Fatboy S and one of them is the smaller HD windsplitter. I like it because it's low and I can see over it easily. The wind flows over my head no problem. No buffeting. I like it in the summer because of the dark tint.

I also have a HUGE HD shield that I sometimes use in the winter, if I have a long trip and it's really cold. NOTHING gets past that shield. I think it's 21 inches or something like that.

Right now on the bike, I have a 15 inch Long Ride Shield with the curve at the top. It also works great. No bufetting, wind goes over the top of my head. I like the light tint.

I'm 5-10.

I appreciate the reply. All that’s available for my 2019 Fat Boy at the moment is the two HD shields, Long Ride has nothing, nor does Clearview, that I have seen at least.

I am still hoping someone with a 2018+ Fat Boy will respond, as the different frame and fork (and headlight nacelle) may produce different results.

Old 10-13-2018, 05:37 PM
rednred
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

19 inch on 18FB. 5'10"
Depending on helmet some buffeting at speed but not too bad. Considering selling it as Memphis shades now has a series out for 18+ fattys. Still not sure want to though- theirs is 3" wider. Cool things about them though - they come in greater variety of heights and angle is supposed to be adjustable. Another variable is seat height - I'm also waiting on solo seat with rider backrest before making final decision on shield.

Last edited by rednred; 10-13-2018 at 05:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mchad (10-13-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 05:56 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 440 Likes on 321 Posts

While I don't think I'll go back to a shield, given what is not available at this time, I'm interested to see what might pop up here. Never know when the primary use of my bike might need to change.

I would love to see a specialized batwing might look like. You know, one with a square cutout for the headlight

Out of about 8 or 10 windshied combinations on my VTX I got as close to perfection as I could with a Batwing and a 14" LRS

Old 10-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Msquad
Road Captain
Received 173 Likes on 120 Posts

Nice to know Memphis Shades is 3" wider. I have the 17" high with black hardware and black tinted bottom. I really like it. I don't like to look through a windshield. I'm 6' and it is perfect but I don't sit straight up. Helped a lot. I don't wear a helmet. I'd post a picture but laziness gets in the way.

Cootey (05-19-2020)
Old 10-13-2018, 06:10 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 440 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Msquad
Nice to know Memphis Shades is 3" wider. I have the 17" high with black hardware and black tinted bottom. I really like it. I don't like to look through a windshield. I'm 6' and it is perfect but I don't sit straight up. Helped a lot. I don't wear a helmet. I'd post a picture but laziness gets in the way.
Is it on a Fat Boy?

We shouldn't look through a windshield. It should be 2" below eye level. Otherwise when it rains you might as well be driving blind.

Old 10-13-2018, 07:01 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Odd, I don’t see any fitment for the 18+ Fat Boy on Memphis Shades site?

Edit: Ok, now I do. Seems they didn’t bother to include it in their search engine. You have to browse for it...

Last edited by Mchad; 10-13-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:01 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

I have the 15" on my '18 Fat Boy 114 with about 4k miles using it. I am 5'10" and it comes about to my chin which sounds a little low but I get all the wind protection, and rain protection, that I need. I get no helmet buffeting but I ride only with a half helmet or no helmet. I also like that the shield is hardly visible so does not detract from the FB looks. I have ridden in very heavy rain and had no rain stinging my face with this shield while wearing a half helmet and goggles. I was undecided which shield to get but am totally satisfied with the 15" however I have not tried another. I should note that I do like feeling some wind and also that unfortunately this shield just like every one I have ever ridden behind does cause some wind to come up from below and around the gas tank. Hope this helps.

Waynewilson (12-06-2022)
Old 10-13-2018, 09:16 PM
Msquad
Road Captain
Received 173 Likes on 120 Posts

Yes. On my fat boy.

Quick Reply: Your 18+ Fat Boy windshield experience?