Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering rear fender on a 18 slim

Old 10-30-2018, 08:37 PM
LIMike
Road Captain
Received 366 Likes on 196 Posts

Hi Vrizzo, I also have the 18 softail slim and I’m also looking to so the same thing. You are right, it is hard finding parts and answers for the new design. I tried lowering the shock from 3 to 2 and really nothing noticeable. I am definitely going to be following this thread. I’ll be sure to keep you posted if I hear anything. I know you were saying your having a hard time with your phone so here are a couple of pics of my bike. I hope this helps with the visual. Also, the wiring doesn’t run under the rear fender on my slim, it’s ran under the struts so I don’t think we would have a problem with the wiring being damaged

Old 10-31-2018, 08:54 AM
Vrizzo
Advanced
Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks LIMIKE for the pics. I thought the wiring was threw the struts not under the fender just was 100% on that one. How do you like those pipes? I was debating on them or the 300s they do

Old 10-31-2018, 09:50 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Looking at Thunderbike site further down the page they have slammed a few new Heritages with full dress fender and struts. Looking at the specs it seems they are using their own air ride suspension. I’m assuming they have an extreme low profile setting for parking. Maybe it rides super low also? It must feel like a rigid at that height. Looks cool though.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:21 AM
Vrizzo
Advanced
Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes I’ve actually seen there bikes and site. They did one 18 slim. The kits that fit the heritages don’t fit slims from my understanding.

Old 10-31-2018, 12:11 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Ah, I bet it’s not far off though. Depends if you want the slammed strut look or the chopped hugger look. Slim could do either. Some one here has a thread on putting a king sporty tank on their M8 Street Bob. It looks great and he also did his own version of the chopped rear fender. Just bought a Biltwell (I think) fender and had to fab his own brackets etc.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:23 PM
LIMike
Road Captain
Received 366 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Vrizzo
Thanks LIMIKE for the pics. I thought the wiring was threw the struts not under the fender just was 100% on that one. How do you like those pipes? I was debating on them or the 300s they do
Hey Vrizzo, no problem at all!! I have also been looking into the air ride suspension. I did find somebody who has the 2018 kit that would fit the slim. I don’t remember the company but I’m sure I can find it again and let you know. I kinda bailed on the idea after hearing from some friends that the air rides had some problems going down the highway? Bike would drop out of nowhere? Maybe it was just a fluke though? As far as the V&H big radius pipes, I love them!! I think they look great and sound amazing!! I went with the heavy breather proformance air cleaner and the smart tune pro. What a difference in the performance of the bike when all three are put together!! I was going to do the stage 2 Torque cam kit but after this setup my local Harley dealer talked me out of it! They told me to ride it around for a bit and see what I think. I have to say I probably wouldn’t need the cam, this is more then enough power now....... but I’ll probably do it anyway LOL