Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering rear fender on a 18 slim

Old 10-29-2018, 11:46 AM
Vrizzo
Advanced
Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Lowering rear fender on a 18 slim

Anyone figure how to get that rear fender on the 18 slims closer to the tire? That’s the biggest eye soar to me with the great looks of the bike. Talking to the HD tech you can’t just lower the shock for it. I’m trying to figure if it can be done or if I need to replace the fender and the selection of fenders for it like all parts are almost nowhere to be found

Old 10-29-2018, 12:57 PM
Vrizzo
Advanced

not sure why you think asking a tech is a bad thing? Yes I can adjust a shock and yes I know how to change a fender. Asking the dealer is a pretty easy place to start on brainstorming specially when you’re there. Not to mention I’m in a small town and they always recommend places to do work they don’t do. It’s a new design so I was seeing if anyone had already done what I’m looking to do. I’m in a cast so can’t get around and even to my bike to mess with it.
Normally forums are to help each other not to belittle

Old 10-29-2018, 01:10 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

And here we go-
No use to irascible here.just logic.

Logic will truly dictate your conundrum, that is Sq to about the subsonic pwr.
If in fact your unsprung weight ratio to travel is left unchanged and then you wish to transgress
the parts involved in transit with the undeniable force of a force called - water / dirt deflector.
By lowering its face closer to the transaction, - will then you will impart ..impart the pieces to each other.
You will either have to make it "look" like you did this , or create another means of less spring travel.
To me, you are getting into the looks way to far to the point you will only be a TT rider.
But perhaps that is all you are wishing for?

Last edited by Kingglide549; 10-29-2018 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:28 PM
Vrizzo
Advanced

Yes that is common sense engineering with the design. I’m not looking for that. I’m looking if anyone has found parts that actually fit the new design. It’s hard to find anything that say they will fit the new Slims. I’ve had little luck finding info for any parts of the bike aftermarket. Anyone that has a new Slim knows what I mean. You pointing out common sense fact about travel and such doesn’t help much but thanks. I’m simply looking to see if others have tried what I’m looking at doing. I’m sure I’ll end up changing the fender. It never hurts to see what others have found first

Old 10-29-2018, 01:35 PM
Kingglide549
Banned

How much travel do you have, - VS how much are you willing to give away?
I think that answers your question, just lower your fender to that point?

Old 10-29-2018, 01:39 PM
Vrizzo
Advanced

Yes that’s clearly one option. Buts the powers that be for design latter IMO a great deal of distance from the tire to the fenders. Personally I think they would have been better not rounding the render and going with a different cut to keep the lines better. Even a straight cut like the old Duce would have been better. I’m not sure the adjustments would get close enough to fully make me happy. Hence why I said I can see me changing fenders

Old 10-29-2018, 01:41 PM
Kingglide549
Banned

If I had a pic i might help, as of right now I am working off or from hallucinations.

Old 10-29-2018, 01:43 PM
Vrizzo
Advanced

I’m actually trying to get the settings right on my phone so I can post a pic. Talking to the tech he said the new design wouldn’t let you adjust to fill that in without scratching the underside. And that was one of the main reasons they redesigned the bike. People didn’t like the lean angle. Kind of sounds like was a trade off for better handling

Old 10-29-2018, 02:00 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Lowering your fender on the struts does run the risk of rubbing the tire during shock compression. This could rip out your wiring that runs under the fender, or disastrous damaging/de-inflating your tire.

Some guys have removed their struts (very simple) and mounted a custom fender directly to the swing arm to achieve a hugger look. The fender is essentially no longer load bearing (no passengers), but it will maintain specified distance from the tire. It requires modification, mounting, and re-routing wiring.

Here’s a link to the Thunderbike site in Germany. They have many examples of M8’s done this way.

https://www.thunderbike.com/

Last edited by Thingfish; 10-29-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:47 PM
Vrizzo
Advanced

Thanks for the info. It’s looking more and more like a fender replacement. I don’t use the back fender for passengers so not worried about that. I’ve seen one strut and fender kit already, but not much lease. I’ll have a read on what you posted thank you

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lowering rear fender on a 18 slim