Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Slim terrible seat

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 11:15 AM
ChinoSlim
Intermediate
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Softail Slim terrible seat

Just bought a 2017 Slim. The seat is terrible. Bought an aftermarket Mustang seat with a backrest. Couldn't ride it because the part that holds the backrest was holding the hardware that holds the backrest. Hard as hell, digging into my tailbone.
Going to return it tomorrow. Anyone else having this problem? Please share if you've changed your seat to a better one.

Old 11-04-2018, 12:15 PM
Ludwig von Buzzthoven
Road Master
Received 639 Likes on 280 Posts

I have a ‘17 Slim. Honestly, I liked the stock seat, but I wanted something in leather. Ended up getting a custom all-leather Le Pera Bare Bones with stitching that matched the stock seat.

It was a bit bit of a trade off: the leather is great, and the pan is steel, so it cuts down on the heat felt from the engine. But the seat doesn’t flow really well with the frame, which is my biggest complaint about it. I think Le Pera blew it in the design department in this regard.

The other thing I DO like about the Bare Bones is that its back raises up a bit, so you don’t slide back on it like you do on the stock seat.

Old 11-04-2018, 01:25 PM
LIMike
Road Captain
Received 366 Likes on 196 Posts

I have a 18 slim. The seat really felt fine when I was riding I just wanted something a little different so I decided to have it reupholstered. There really isn’t much of anything available for the newest softails so I’m probably going to have to have one made from scratch. I like them a little more low-profile, more complimenting to the lines of the frame

Old 11-04-2018, 01:43 PM
Sticks24
Road Warrior
Received 380 Likes on 191 Posts

You live in California and are asking about a seat for your bike. Get your butt over to Corbin in Hollister and get yourself a custom seat for your bike. I drove all the way from Canada to have mine done there in person a couple of times. It is a great experience.

The following users liked this post:
ChinoSlim (11-09-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 01:50 PM
Tonebender
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,341 Likes on 3,310 Posts

I rode by friend's Slim one year up in Virginia. When I saw the seat I figured I was in for a sore butt, but to my surprise we took a nice long ride and it was fine. I was surprised. He is the second owner so someone may have had it gel'ed. Still even gel'ed just looking at it I would think butt burn in 50 miles.

I do think Mustang seats are very comfortable I have had two and still have the one on my FXR. I can ride that thing all day no problem. I am just about ready to put a Mustang on my Indian.

Old 11-04-2018, 02:15 PM
Sticks24
Road Warrior
Received 380 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonebender
I rode by friend's Slim one year up in Virginia. When I saw the seat I figured I was in for a sore butt, but to my surprise we took a nice long ride and it was fine. I was surprised. He is the second owner so someone may have had it gel'ed. Still even gel'ed just looking at it I would think butt burn in 50 miles.

I do think Mustang seats are very comfortable I have had two and still have the one on my FXR. I can ride that thing all day no problem. I am just about ready to put a Mustang on my Indian.
I have the Mustang with backrest for my slim and it is way too soft. It just sits there now that I have the Corbin.

Old 11-04-2018, 02:15 PM
HD_fan
Road Warrior
Received 589 Likes on 358 Posts

Drag Specialties for my old Slim. The stock slim seat was the worst stock HD seat I've experienced.

ChinoSlim (11-05-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 02:35 PM
Vrizzo
Advanced
Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by LIMike
I have a 18 slim. The seat really felt fine when I was riding I just wanted something a little different so I decided to have it reupholstered. There really isn’t much of anything available for the newest softails so I’m probably going to have to have one made from scratch. I like them a little more low-profile, more complimenting to the lines of the frame
Chdck out motheroadcustom.com they have a few options if you want a spring style and they can do custom as well. I’m probably going to use them for my 18 when I decide to change it

The following 2 users liked this post by Vrizzo:
ChinoSlim (11-05-2018), LIMike (11-04-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 05:04 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I replaced my slim's seat with a Mustang day tripper an I felt the back of the seat on my tail bone like you said but after it broke in to my @$$ an I got a little used to it I could ride for hours on it. I had a Corbin that was comfortable for two up riding but it was so big an bulky I hated the look on the clean lines of the slim.

ChinoSlim (11-05-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 05:31 PM
LIMike
Road Captain
Received 366 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Vrizzo

Chdck out motheroadcustom.com they have a few options if you want a spring style and they can do custom as well. I’m probably going to use them for my 18 when I decide to change it
Thank you Vrizzo, I appreciate that. I’m more looking for a lepera Bare-bones solo style saddle. I might try and shape and cover the extra 2018 saddle that I have.i figured It’s just siting there so why not a give it a shot lol

Quick Reply: Softail Slim terrible seat