Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fairing on a Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 06:42 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

Thanks, great comments.

Not sure what the trim piece you reference. Is that the piece under the windhield?

Any Idea on the added weight?

Again, all info appreciated.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:56 AM
tx freebird
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankEV
Thanks for nothing.

Just looking to find out if it is a good idea or not. Pros/cons etc.

I have a recurve windhield that works great, but I kind of like the Idea of a sound system.

I have been told all the handlebar mounted sound systems are not worth the money as you cant hear them at highway speeds, I'm assuming if a sound system works with a fairing on a turing bike, it should work on a Softail.

So I was asking...
I have owned and ridden numerous Harleys., with and without fairings and sound systems. I am riding a Heritage now because it is in my personal "sweet spot" for size, weight, comfort, etc.

I think we are about the same age, so here is my personal opinion..
(1) you will feel the extra weight, especially at low-speed interception & parking lot speed. This issue is more significant with handlebar mounted fairings than with frame mounted ones. I have owned Street Glides, Ultra Classics, and Road Glides. I also put a handlebar mounted fairing on a VROD once.
(2) I personally prefer frame mounted to handlebar mounted for stability on windy days. But your eyes are further from the instrument display which might be an option if you wear redding glasses or bifocals.
(3) all of the sound systems I've owned have been stock (speakers and amp, etc). So, upgraded systems might be different BUT, at highway speeds, the only way I have really enjoyed the sound is by listening through headphones in my helmet.

So, I can listed to bluetooth in my headset via my GPS or my iPhone on my Heritage now, so this would not be a good idea for me.

The following users liked this post:
FrankEV (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 10:11 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Not sure what the trim piece you reference. Is that the piece under the windhield? Any Idea on the added weight?
it probably weights 30 .lbs maybe.
The weight and obstruction is certainly there but it's not a big deal.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:35 PM
KrakkyDoo
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

Has anyone actually installed a Batwing Fairing w/stereo on a Heritage? If so what brand? Comments please!

There is another thread about a "Wedge Fairing" but not sure about them as they seem to be new with not much info on their Website and it is a frame mounted fairing as opposed to a fork mounted fairing.

I'm looking at a Standard Batwing Fairing from Reckless Industries MC Div. , see: https://www.recklessmotorcycles.com/heritage.html

It uses my '18 Heritage OEM Windshield mounts and sounds like a plug and play hookup.

Although the standard model starts at $780, with color match and other options it could be close to $2000.
I would recommend getting a "stealth" fairing from ebay. If you google stealth fairing it will lead you to a trailer store that sells fairings. Now they are not the most glamorous but for the money I dont think you can miss. They are under $300 shipped to your door. If you dont like it no big deal. I put 2 6x9 speakers and a head unit in one and was very happy with it on my deluxe. Beats paying 2k for something you may not like.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:53 PM
tx freebird
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Bluraven
it probably weights 30 .lbs maybe.
The weight and obstruction is certainly there but it's not a big deal.
Frank, I completely agree that the added weight is small at 30 pounds, but this is unsprung weight - it will affect how the big handles at low speeds.

I cannot figure out how to post links, but a quick web search for "sprung or unsprung motorcycle weight" will help explain the handling difference.

It might be helpful to demo ride a street glide if you haven't done so already. Since you already have a mounted tour-pak, I suspect the major weight difference between your bike and a StreetGlide will mostly be the handlebar mounted fairing. sound system etc.

Old 11-19-2018, 02:19 PM
tx freebird
Cruiser

A quick comparison for stock MY2019 Heritage and Street Glide shows a weight differential of about 100 pounds. I doubt this would change much for MY2018 models

Looking at the bikes side by side, the SG exhaust system is probably heavier than a Heritage. The hard bags might add some additional weight also, but my but feels tells me that more than half of the extra weight if from the fairing and everything in it.

Old 11-19-2018, 02:34 PM
Shane T
Tourer
Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

FWIW I just weighed my Reckless fairing. It has a 6" shield and two 7" round speakers but the radio head is missing. As is it comes in a 15 pounds exactly.

Old 11-19-2018, 03:30 PM
sped
Road Captain
Received 85 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Shane T
FWIW I just weighed my Reckless fairing. It has a 6" shield and two 7" round speakers but the radio head is missing. As is it comes in a 15 pounds exactly.

I'm thinking the speakers are right at 5 pounds together maybe? That would put the fairing at 10-12 pounds or thereabouts....likely about the same weight as the stock shield as long as one doesn't add any electronics to the Reckless. Would you agree?

I'm not interested in the radio aspect of this thing.

And I wish shipping was cheaper. It shows $75 when I toss one in a cart.

Old 11-19-2018, 03:32 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 492 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by tx freebird
A quick comparison for stock MY2019 Heritage and Street Glide shows a weight differential of about 100 pounds. I doubt this would change much for MY2018 models

Looking at the bikes side by side, the SG exhaust system is probably heavier than a Heritage. The hard bags might add some additional weight also, but my but feels tells me that more than half of the extra weight if from the fairing and everything in it.
Compare the weight of a Road King (798 lb) and a Heritage(697 lb) for the new ones

Old 11-19-2018, 03:48 PM
tx freebird
Cruiser

My original SWAG was obviously wrong. As luck would have it, there is a street glide at my dealership today with the fairing assembly removed for collision work. The technician tells me that weight of the inner & outer fairing plus components was right at 22 pounds, exclusive of turn signals and highway lights. You additions would probably be less.

The following users liked this post:
sped (11-19-2018)

Quick Reply: Fairing on a Heritage