Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fairing on a Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 06:43 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankEV
Has anyone actually installed a Batwing Fairing w/stereo on a Heritage?
Yes thousand have installed a fairing/stereo on a Heritage.

You could try searching the forum for "Softail Bagger".
You'll find many threads/opinions related to adding fairings.

As for my opinion; it can be found here:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...uld-i-buy.html

Last edited by Bluraven; 11-17-2018 at 06:55 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:59 AM
lizard86
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My father has had a fairing from Reckless on his Fatboy for about 5 years. It has held up well, and seems to be really good quality. As far as the sound system goes, its difficult to hear at highway speeds (anything above 50 really). He has the basic fsiring with 2 6.5"s. They use poor quality speakers and no amp in their less expensive fairings. You might see if they can send you a fairing with the spaces for speakers and install your own system or just shell out the dough for their top end stuff.
By the way, i love what you have done with your bike. My next purchase for my deluxe will be the Leatherpro bags. After that, i too will be getting a fairing from Reckless.

The following users liked this post:
FrankEV (11-17-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 08:05 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

There are also these https://www.recklessmotorcycles.com/...ct_detail&p=86
if you want to keep the windshield but just get the music. Downside for me was losing the windshield bag so I use SENA in my helmet and listen to music through my phone.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:20 AM
doctorgoo
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with hard bags with Polk 6x9s in the lids, PowerAcoustik razor amp mounted in the bag, Polk 6.5s in 7 inch headlight buckets mounted on the crash bar. My head unit is an ipod running through a volume **** on the underside of the fuel tank. I'm sure there are much better speaker/amp setups $$$ but for a non audiophile like myself this setup works great. I can hear my tunes just fine at all speeds.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:39 AM
doctorgoo
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I put a magnet on the back of my ipod so I can plug it in and sit it on the tank.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:40 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

The best sound system I’ve experianced is a SENA with in helmet speakers. Bluetooth to iPhone. Amazing sound clarity and quality at any speed. Great navigation and communication support should you want it also.

2nd best was a significantly upgraded Road Glide system with full saddlebag and fairing speakers. It was not a close second, but you could hear it at least...and so could everybody else.

You might want to consider getting the SENA for tunes, and a nice fairing without the significant expense of a sound system that won’t be nearly as good sounding. You can grab the SENA at your local Cycle Gear or dealer and be cruising with tunes in 15 minutes for $150 - $300 depending on the model. A good on bike sound system otherwise is $$$$.

Last edited by Thingfish; 11-17-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:34 AM
Shane T
Tourer
Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

This past summer I saw a Deluxe with a Dead Center fairing and was really impressed. If I could afford it that's what I would likely get. Instead I recently bought a used Reckless fairing for my Deluxe. I had to adjust the holes and remount the bracket on one side to make it fit properly. Not real impressed with quality but it will suit my need for now.

Old 11-17-2018, 04:44 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluraven
Yes thousand have installed a fairing/stereo on a Heritage.

You could try searching the forum for "Softail Bagger".
You'll find many threads/opinions related to adding fairings.

As for my opinion; it can be found here:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...uld-i-buy.html
Thanks Bluraven,

I read through the entire thread you referenced above. Great information.

That was 2016...it is almost 2019 now. Could you give a brief overview review of the install after this amount of time. Still happy? Any regrets? Have you done anything to upgrade the original install? ? ? ?

Oh and BTW, do you have any idea as to how much weight the fairing added? I chose a Heritage because a RK or SG were just to heavy for me to physically pick up off the kick stand or hold up when stopping. I would not want to add something that makes my Cherry to heavy to handle.

I really do apprecate your thoughts. It is a shame when some chose to be so negative and condasendeing in responce to a query seeking information.

BTW, I did originally do a search on this subject but it is obvieous I did not use the correct search terms since nothing came up.

Old 11-17-2018, 05:02 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by uklauren
There are also these https://www.recklessmotorcycles.com/...ct_detail&p=86
if you want to keep the windshield but just get the music. Downside for me was losing the windshield bag so I use SENA in my helmet and listen to music through my phone.
I have a Sena in my 3//4 helmet. I'm hard of hearing and wear 'in the ear' hearing aids. From 45 MPH and up I can not hear anything but noise. I know my pipes are a little loud, but I do not think they are the problem. The hearing aids amplify high pitch sounds such as wind and the bike wine dramaticly. Also like to use my Hlaf Helmet frequently which I dont want to spend more money on to buy another Sena.

What is funny, when riding in a group, when I get close to a bike playing music, I can hear it. This makes me think a Fairing and Sound system may be the way to go.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:39 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankEV
That was 2016...it is almost 2019 now. Could you give a brief overview review of the install after this amount of time. Still happy? Any regrets? Have you done anything to upgrade the original install? Oh and BTW, do you have any idea as to how much weight the fairing added?
No regrets what so ever, if I bought another Heritage I'd put another Reckless fairing on.
As some don't like the look but whenever I hear nay-sayers I simple reply "it's my bike not yours".

As for any upgrades; well after about a year one of the Polk speakers died.
Reckless replaced it even though it wasn't under warranty.

I installed an 8" LRS Recurve shield and have been wanting to replace the trim piece but haven't got around to it.
The trim piece is the one thing I would not have purchased if I was to do it again I would have just bought a Harley chrome one.

Another thing; the amp is powered by the primary on/off switch.
After the 3rd time I forgot to turn it off and found my battery dead I installed a 12vdc LED light that is on whenever the primary power switch is on.

This way when I park I can see the LED light's on and it reminds me to turn off the primary power.
I don't know why Reckless just didn't do this at the factory.

I also added some batting material inside the fairing to enhance the base but I'm not sure it did that much.

There's no doubt the fairing deflects more air.
It doesn't cost me any fuel mileage.

I'm glad I went with the "full package", once I got the fairing home an hour later I was jamming going 80mph down the highway.
One thing I question was getting the handlebar control; all I'll say is don't not buy it.

I eventually added the a set of LeatherPros lowers which sure hurt the wallet but they finished off the look/function I was going for.
I also added hard bags which is absolutely plus over the leather bags.

Last edited by Bluraven; 11-17-2018 at 06:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Fairing on a Heritage