Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Slim fog light kit #68000026

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 04:38 AM
ChinoSlim
Intermediate
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Softail Slim fog light kit #68000026

I'm about to install the HD fog light kit on my Slim. The instructions are okay, except it doesn't explain where to attach the power to the toggle on/off switch. The instruction sheet shows a box with a White, Black, and Yellow wire. The power is attached to the Yellow wire.
But it doesn't explain where the connection relay is!! Has anyone installed this kit? Can you help me out in locating this box?

It's the rectangular box upper right corner.
showing the diagram with no luck.)

Old 12-20-2018, 09:23 AM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,263 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by ChinoSlim
I'm about to install the HD fog light kit on my Slim. The instructions are okay, except it doesn't explain where to attach the power to the toggle on/off switch. The instruction sheet shows a box with a White, Black, and Yellow wire. The power is attached to the Yellow wire.
But it doesn't explain where the connection relay is!! Has anyone installed this kit? Can you help me out in locating this box?

Using the on-line version of the instructions:
https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....1?locale=en_US

It would have you connect to the yellow wire. Not sure why you are looking for a relay.
As described in the instructions, if using the yellow wire, the aux-lights only operate with
the headlight on lowbeam. See step 5 under the "Wiring" section. This yellow wire
is from the Headlight connector.

I'll have to see if I can dig up what wire I used for mine & report back.

T.

Last edited by WKNDS; 12-20-2018 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:57 AM
gregeinsc
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Uh, yeah, right there in step 5 of the picture you posted....

The following users liked this post:
ChinoSlim (01-13-2019)
Old 12-20-2018, 10:59 AM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member

An easy way to keep the aux-lights on is to use the plug & play harness.
Independent Control Auxiliary Lamp Wire Harness Kit-69200442
Boardtracker has it for ~$25.00
http://www.boardtrackerharleyonline....s-kit-69200442

I didn't use this however... I just looked it up in my Electrical Service Manaual.
What I spliced into was the "Export/Japan Tip light" wire, since it is only hot with Ignition-on.
It is an Orange/White wire.... (and doesn't cost $25)..

hth,

T.

Last edited by WKNDS; 12-20-2018 at 11:36 AM.
ChinoSlim (01-13-2019)
Old 12-20-2018, 02:58 PM
ChinoSlim
Intermediate

Thank you all for responding. I haven't started the project yet cause I'm waiting for powder coat parts. But it appears by your posts that there is a yellow wire coming from the headlight harness that supplies the power. I know it says that in step 5 of the instructions, but it just didn't make sense to me when they showed what appears to be a relay switch.
I'll take things apart in a few days and look for that elusive yellow wire.
I'm not using the standard 4" lamps that come with the kit. I have a set of fog lamps that an old friend gave me years ago. He bought them in 1955 for $5.50 each from Pep Boys. Still in the original boxes. They are 5" lamps with dark amber (almost root beer brown) lamps.
I have been saving them for a special project. I will post a picture once installed.
Thank you again for your help. Deeply appreciated.

Last edited by ChinoSlim; 12-20-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:34 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member

...snip....
I'm not using the standard 4" lamps that come with the kit. I have a set of fog lamps that an old friend gave me years ago. He bought them in 1955 for $5.50 each from Pep Boys. Still in the original boxes. They are 5" lamps with dark amber (almost root beer brown) lamps.
I have been saving them for a special project. I will post a picture once installed.
That will be interesting how you shoehorn 5" lights into the 4" housing...
Looking forward to some pictures.

thanks,

T.

ChinoSlim (12-20-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 03:42 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member

Ah... I guess the lights have their own housings/buckets and you're getting those
powdercoated black ?

kind of similar to these,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1947-19...-/330992868930

T.

ChinoSlim (12-20-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 03:53 PM
ChinoSlim
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WKNDS
Ah... I guess the lights have their own housings/buckets and you're getting those
powdercoated black ?

kind of similar to these,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1947-19...-/330992868930

T.
Yes, they are bigger rounder buckets. They are chromed, getting powder coated like the headlight.

Old 12-22-2018, 11:25 AM
MNtadpole
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm assuming you're installing the HD aux light kit. I did the same thing to my Slim last year. I love the increase light output. With that being said, the kit doesnt require a relay to operate correctly. The toggle switch will cut/ apply the 12vdc as needed to the two aux light buckets. As I'm sure you're aware, that toggle is placed on the left side above the fork cow-bells. My 2015 softail had a rubber covered 12vdc pigtail available inside behind the main headlight bucket, I just used that as my power source. I'm pretty sure that is its purpose, for aux light installation. The benefit to using the already provided 12vdc pigtail is that you won't need to splice into existing power wires- simple and clean. My bike is spending winter at the dealership this year, otherwise I would have provided a picture. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

ChinoSlim (12-26-2018)
Old 12-26-2018, 02:31 PM
ChinoSlim
Intermediate

MNtadpole, Thank you for your reply. This helps immensely. Still haven't gotten the parts back from powder coat, but as soon as I do I will be installing the kit. Looking for the elusive yellow wire.

Quick Reply: Softail Slim fog light kit #68000026