Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting after storage, no oil in tank

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 01:29 PM
Flyingtexan
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting after storage, no oil in tank

Greetings,

I've noticed after my bike, an 05 Softail Night Train with the 88CI motor, sits for awhile all the oil leaves the tank and goes somewhere, I presume into the crankcase. I noticed this the last time it sat and I started it, the oil pressure was to slow for my paranoid *** to come up, so I shut the bike off. I then checked the tank and it had nothing in it. So I added some and it came up on the next start, but so did the oil level, so hi in fact, I had to pull some out. I'm asking this because I moved, and my bike has been in storage for about 6 months and I'm about to get it back. So what causes this and what should I do about it? Should I drain the crankcase then add oil to the tank, then start it?

Thanks

Last edited by Flyingtexan; 01-09-2019 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:36 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,785 Likes on 9,863 Posts

It’s called “sumping” and it happens on some Softails if there is a leak, bad seal, in the oil pump. This allows the oil to drain into the crankcase.
Go ahead and start it, do not add any oil and don’t rev it til the pressure comes up.

Old 01-09-2019, 02:09 PM
Flyingtexan
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by QC
It’s called “sumping” and it happens on some Softails if there is a leak, bad seal, in the oil pump. This allows the oil to drain into the crankcase.
Go ahead and start it, do not add any oil and don’t rev it til the pressure comes up.
Terrifying, is the lower end getting oil during this?

Old 01-09-2019, 04:08 PM
QC
Club Member

The lower end is full of oil right now. That’s where it all went.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:19 PM
QC
Club Member

You could drain the oil out of the sump, and refill the tank with it, but the scary part about that is the great possibility of screwing up the pipe plug that needs to be removed. Replacing it has caused many ham-handed home mechanics grief when they have either stripped the threads out or cracked the cases during tightening.

Pick your poison.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:26 PM
jkinner
Road Captain
Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by QC
+1 on this, just don't rev it up, My 16 Deluxe does this to a point, but mine gets ridden every month. Ride safe, Happy New Year.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:38 PM
Shootermwc
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine just did this on a fresh build, but it was a worst case scenario. The builder didn't read the destructions that clearly said "do not use loctite on the oil pump" and used quite a bit. Made it 0.5 miles before it broke the gears in the oil pump.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:50 PM
springers4ever
Road Master
Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts
Cool Oil Tank ...

on all softails ...if you look at where the oil tank is mounted (under the seat ) ...and trace the oil lines DOWN to the motor ....the oil will gravity feed DOWN to the crankcase ...on all softails ...given enough time ...it's not a leak ...if you know it was full of oil the last time it ran ...and there are no external leaks (oil seen under the bike ) ...the oil is in the crankcase ....start it up ...let idle till warmed up ..then check level ...(what we do is lean the bike to the right side while idling , so the scavenging side of the oil pump will be able to pull more oil from the bottom end back to the tank )( this also runs some transmission oil to the outer trap door bearings, if the bike has been sitting on the side stand for a long period of time ...as the oil will drain out of these bearings also )

Last edited by springers4ever; 01-09-2019 at 06:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Low budget Dan (01-10-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 05:55 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,785 Posts

Make sure it's right before leaving it when you know it will sit. Then don't worry about it. Pleanty of oil film on surfaces. Only needs flow for cooling and pressure to get all over motor. It was probably getting oil as soon as you started it. Lifters will bleed off it not and that sounds like steel ***** falling on a glass table.
Relace your filter with a new OEM one. Could be some junk under the check valve.
The o-ring is probably also worn in oil pump.
Mine with 50k on it will drop 1/2 a stick in 5 months.
I bet if you took a light and looked in tank, there was pleanty of oil in it.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 01-09-2019 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:36 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,907 Likes on 3,015 Posts

Unless there was a huge puddle under the bike the oil's in there, it didn't evaporate.
Next time, bump the starter until the oil returns to the oil tank.

Quick Reply: Starting after storage, no oil in tank