Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EITMS kicking in after 8 miles and 42F degrees outside

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 04:10 PM
gypsyblue
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EITMS kicking in after 8 miles and 42F degrees outside

Hi,
Brand new 2018 softail Deluxe M8. 1200 total miles.
Its 42 degrees F and raining outside. EITMS kicked in after 8 miles. (4 miles each way, with a 30 minute break in-between)
any idea why?
Thanks

Old 01-11-2019, 04:33 AM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Overheating due to coolant or oil issue maybe a bad thermostat.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:15 AM
KYRGultra
Road Master
Received 489 Likes on 306 Posts

My 2016 RGU sometimes does that. Have noticed when I stop at a red light it has kicked in sometimes--usually when I don't think conditions warrant it kicking in so I just turn it off. But...., after maybe several more rides I might check the status as I'm getting ready to ride out again and, damn, it turned itself back on. But I also wasn't aware till I tried it that when I come to a light and notice it has kicked in I can turn it off while sitting there at the light. If anyone figures out why this happens I would like to know also.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:38 PM
gypsyblue
5th Gear

Thanks for your replies. So the M8 bike did it again the next day.
I had no problems until after the first 1000 mile service at the Dealer.
I have taken it back to the dealer 3 times regarding the erratic idle and the EITMS coming on too soon. Dealer ran a bunch of "tests", then relayed it to MOCO. MOCO told them to "compare it to 2 other brand new M8's"....according to the dealer, the motor " all falls within spec" and "runs as designed"

I have talked to MOCO directly. Since the dealer says " all falls within spec" and "runs as designed", MOCO will not cover any more diagnostics since they have deemed that it " all falls within spec" and "runs as designed".... like a broken record. I asked them about any sensors being bad or a problem with the tuning, which had not been addressed....again, same answer.
I have video evidence of the occurrences, and had to submit them to the dealership, since they keep telling me they "cant replicate the problem"
I even had a service writer witness the problem, then had him backpedal 15 minutes later, and said he "never saw it", when the service manager got involved.

MOCO told me my only option is to take it to another dealer for a second opinion, but "if they don't find anything I am responsible for the diagnostic costs" ....then said I probably put bad gas in it. WTF! I run premium fuel and take care of my bikes. Both dealerships in town are shady, so I would have to take it out of town.

I bought it BRAND NEW in July 2018 from the dealership that is refusing to look at it without charging me, and giving me the same canned answer over and over again. "cant replicate the problem" " all falls within spec" and "runs as designed". It has 1200 miles on it, still under warranty, and even with video evidence, MOCO is refusing to look at the videos, or investigate the problem any further.

I am seriously at my wits end. I just wasted almost 20k, and now the MOCO will not warranty it any further.
help?

Old 01-13-2019, 08:13 PM
ole_phart
Road Master

Received 580 Likes on 362 Posts

I know this isn't what you want to hear. My '18 Low Rider hesitated from a stop when rolling on the throttle from a stop when EITMS kicked in. I disabled it and never looked back.

The following users liked this post:
gypsyblue (01-14-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 09:57 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,165 Likes on 6,216 Posts

Originally Posted by DrPlastic
Overheating due to coolant or oil issue maybe a bad thermostat.
The bike is a Softail therefore it does not use water cooling.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:49 AM
gypsyblue
5th Gear

I appreciate the reply. i guess I just turn it off the EITMS. sorry for all the colorful description...i am just really frustrated with the whole thing.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:49 PM
MaineHeritage
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure why you're frustrated with a system that does what it's intended to do? If you don't like it just roll the throttle forward and turn it off.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:36 PM
gdishman
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

If you have a Power vision you can change the perimeter that the system turns on and off in all stages. I had to do this on my 2016 Heritage.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:57 PM
dbdicker
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

The installation of my FP3 gave engine temp stats on the fly -- all of a sudden I'm making myself crazy because my bike is reading 300+ temps in 40 degree weather, all without any major stopandgo traffic or even much slow work.

I mean, what's the solution? I'll tell you what - I stopped looking at the temp gauge. The bike is designed to work at those temps, tested over millions of miles. My anxiety is self-imposed. So is yours. That motor was designed to work on both cylinders for millions of miles before they ever thought of that goofy EITMS system. Sure, it'll be a little hotter, so buy some thicker pants or get one of those seat shields.........

Turn the stupid thing off, then ride........and forget all about it.

The following 2 users liked this post by dbdicker:
Dan89FLSTC (02-18-2019), ole_phart (01-15-2019)

Quick Reply: EITMS kicking in after 8 miles and 42F degrees outside