Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decided to take needle and thread into my own hands (remolding and covering saddle)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 09:15 PM
LIMike
Road Captain
Received 366 Likes on 196 Posts
Default Decided to take needle and thread into my own hands (remolding and covering saddle)

Hey guys, I recently purchased a second saddle and sent it out to blackbird customs to have it recovered. I知 very happy with their work and results. I always liked the more low profile custom saddle rather then the stock one that Harley usually sells With their bikes. As we all know there are very little saddles being made right now for the 2018 softail痴. At least low profile solo saddles anyway. I decided last night after a couple drinks that I wasn稚 going to wait anymore. I decided to take matters into my own hands and get in touch with my feminine side! I broke out the needle and thread and get to work!!

Daisy and Chloe have little faith in me and are still waiting

I pulled all the staples and removed the stock cover.

Now for some knife play

It痴 definitely coming along. Seems to have the low profile look that I知 after (definitely lowered the look of the bike a bit) I just installed the progressive shock lowering it about 1in. So hopefully this will give it more of that look. I think I need to chop a little more

Old 01-12-2019, 09:42 PM
LIMike
Road Captain

Took out the sander and started shaping it a bit.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:46 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,829 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Find a gel pad while your this far into it you won't be sorry.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:56 PM
LIMike
Road Captain

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Thank you very much, yeah I知 trying to get this seat as low as possible. This is my first try at a saddle so I知 not very confident that it will be a keeper but who knows? Im working on the needle and thread now. I値l be sure to post more pics as I go

Old 01-12-2019, 11:19 PM
AaBorokokok
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
I second that, when I had my stock seat re-shaped and re-upholstered I regret not putting in a gel pad

Old 01-13-2019, 05:25 AM
LIMike
Road Captain

Originally Posted by AaBorokokok
I second that, when I had my stock seat re-shaped and re-upholstered I regret not putting in a gel pad
Thank you AaBorokokok, I appreciate the heads up and I’m sure I’m going to regret not doing the pad but I want to try and get this as low profile as I can.

I was kinda on a roll last night moving along faster then I thought. I taped up the seat and broke out the marker to draw out the sections I will have to cut for the vinyl templates.

Before I started cutting I decided why not use the stock Harley cover. I’m not crazy about the center part with the vertical lines. So instead of making the complete cover why not just replace the center cover. Definitely seemed like a good idea especially after I realized its getting close to my bed time lol I know it’s not going to be a perfect fit but I don’t expect much and I’m kinda doing this for fun.

My daughter was nice enough to let me use her scissors

Last edited by LIMike; 01-13-2019 at 05:44 AM.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:42 AM
LIMike
Road Captain

Time for the needle and thread. I really haven稚 had to sew anything before except for a doll or 2 for my daughers when an arm or leg had a mishap and needed some emergency care!

There looks to be 2 seems an inner and outer. I started with the inner. Definitely took some time but coming out better then expected

Old 01-13-2019, 08:30 AM
Will Belden
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Unless I'm looking at this last picture wrong... isn't that going to catch some rain water? Maybe a bead of glue, or silicone or something at your seams edge.... (I'm no seat maker...)

Old 01-13-2019, 08:44 AM
LIMike
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Will Belden
Unless I'm looking at this last picture wrong... isn't that going to catch some rain water? Maybe a bead of glue, or silicone or something at your seams edge.... (I'm no seat maker...)
Hey Will, thank you for the heads up on that I really appreciate your help. first I would like to say by no means am I any type of seat maker at all. I really have no idea what I知 doing. Just kinda winging it as I go. But Yes I definitely think it would have definitely caught some water on the seam. I just finished up sewing the outer seam now. I知 going to use some vinyl adhesive to kinda glue the center seam down. The outer seam is definitely tight, I think I should be good.

Old 01-13-2019, 08:58 AM
Will Belden
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

That should solve it. Good job. You're braver than I am. Would like to change some things about my seat, but no way I'm tackling it myself. I could send it off, but living in Dallas means "sure, it's winter, but you COULD ride tomorrow". (High's close to 70 this Wed and Thursday. Crazy.) So I hate to risk being without it.

Maybe in Feb. when we bring the bikes into to do various upgrades, fixes, etc. Hmmm. Though I'm looking for more comfort, not really a lower profile.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Decided to take needle and thread into my own hands (remolding and covering saddle)