Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 2 - Help separate fact from fiction

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 04:38 PM
jr_c6
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage 2 - Help separate fact from fiction

First of all, I love my 06 Deluxe. Love the way it rides, love the way it looks. Love the way I can go from a long-range tour-master to a stripped down single-seat cruiser in a matter of minutes. I have a Stage 1 upgrade - air filter, download and V&H pipes. The Deluxe comes pretty tricked out, so there isn't much more I want to do (except perhaps adding a Hoppe fairing...)

But, of course, I want something MORE!

I am considering a Stage 2 upgrade to a 95. I'm a restaurant guy - I know next to nothing about this stuff, so I am hoping from some help from those that do know about this stuff!

My service guy tells me that doing their SE upgrade to a 95 will give me more power than the current 96s and would be similar in HP and torque to a 103 upgrade on a 96 motor. They showed me some nice-looking Dyno graphs that showed the improvement over the 88 that I have today. Looked pretty impressive.

The cost of the upgrade is $2500 (parts and labor). They have other "refinements" to that program (up to $5500) that "smooths" out the torque curve, but the majority of the power comes from the initial Phase 2 upgrade.

But, I know enough to ask the objective experts on this forum before committing that kind of cash. Is this a good upgrade for me?

Thanks for your help!!!
Jeff

Old 07-05-2007, 04:54 PM
crfranklin65
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Stage 2 - Help separate fact from fiction

I have a 2006 Heritage Softail Classic than until recently had Vance & Hines Big Shots and a Stage I kit with SERT. I was told the same thing you were about power difference. I was told I would outrun the stock 2007 Screaming Eagles. I upgraded to Stage II with SE 251 Cams, SE HTCC Piston kit, SE Tappets. While it was broke down, I also had CNC ported heads done. I wanted more low end torque to get up steep mountains when I travel. My hp is now 84 and I think torque was near 89 and I am very happy with the performance upgrade. I am female, been riding for 3 years and I'm not a real hot rod person but love to have power when I need it. It's also been real handy for when you need to get out of the way or passed someone on the highway. I've been very pleased with how it seems to smoothe out engine some but I'm still considering a Baker 6 speed further down the road to lower rpm's at 70 + mph. I paid $3,500 for all of above. The heads were $1,399.95.

Based on previous reads on this site, I decided to spend $ on heads rather than have to pay more to do them later. It does run a little hotter during first 1,000 miles, as they recommend you go back to standard motor oil for that period. I'm back on synthetic now and haven't noticed much difference or drop in gas mileage. It rides just like it used to...until I punch it!

Old 07-05-2007, 07:53 PM
Bowtieman31
Road Master

It will be money well spent! I really enjoyed the gain in HP and Torque. However I do a lot of long distance riding 3-4K mile trips. I didn't like going from 50-55MPG to 38-45MPG. That decrease in mileage adds up on long rides.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:39 PM
bobros
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dealers often have "winter specials" which is the 95 SE upgrade(cylinders, pistons, and cams) for around $1500. Ihave the SE 95 upgrade but went withandrews 26g cams at the recommendations of many experienced wrenches. I left the heads stock with plans to have ported and polished next winter. Was dynod at 84hp/90tq and am very happy with results. I don't usually ride faster that75mph butlike to get to 75mph fast. I now got all the power I was looking for and not planning on porting the heads. Of course, you can't hold me to that last sratement.

Also, my gas went from 40mpg to 43mpg with the upgrade but that my be attributed to the race tuner.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:49 AM
jr_c6
Road Captain

Thanks for all the encouragement. I appreciate your help!

Anyone know how this 88 to 95 upgrade compares to a 96 stock? Or, a 96 with a 103 upgrade?

Thanks!!

Old 07-06-2007, 05:37 PM
Bowtieman31
Road Master

Yep, I can give you a comparison. My '03 Heritage with 95" kit, HD 203 cams, V&H ProPipe, S.E. air cleaner kit,and PCIII Dyno'd out at 92hp and 100ft/lbs. The bike was fast and pulled like a champ. It was VERY impressive.
My '07 Heritage with S.E. II slip-ons, S.E. air cleaner kit and Stage 1 re-map couldn't hold a candle to the '03. The '07 is a real dog by comparison, but the gas mileage is far better.
You have to decide what you want most, horsepower, or gas mileage. That is the question....

Old 07-06-2007, 08:48 PM
jr_c6
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Bowtieman31

Yep, I can give you a comparison. My '03 Heritage with 95" kit, HD 203 cams, V&H ProPipe, S.E. air cleaner kit, and PCIII Dyno'd out at 92hp and 100ft/lbs. The bike was fast and pulled like a champ. It was VERY impressive.
My '07 Heritage with S.E. II slip-ons, S.E. air cleaner kit and Stage 1 re-map couldn't hold a candle to the '03. The '07 is a real dog by comparison, but the gas mileage is far better.
Thanks for the reply. It's always good to hear from someone that has hands-on experience.

ORIGINAL: Bowtieman31
You have to decide what you want most, horsepower, or gas mileage. That is the question....
Oh, that's easy. My last few cars have had at least 400 ponies. I'm a fan of horsepower!

Old 07-07-2007, 01:22 AM
ToBeFrank
Tourer

If I were going to spend $2500+ for a build, I'd go to GMR Performance or to Head Quarters. You'll get much more bang for your buck, and they're both highly spoken of on v-twin forum. The GMR 98" packages seem to be especially popular.