Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the Forum and frustrating question

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 03:15 PM
swiftler
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the lip necessary or is it there just to ensure that the clip that holds on the hubcap stays on? If yes... can I just remove the hubcap and use a standard spacer. Thanks for everyones help with this, you guys are awesome.

Old 05-14-2019, 03:15 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,404 Likes on 4,013 Posts

Originally Posted by swiftler
The adapter I'm referring to is for the brake rotor, where it sits on the rim. My rotors have a 2 1/4" hole but the rims are made for rotors with a 2" hole.

I've never seen or used one of those adapter, so not sure how it works. Excuse my ignorance.

If it doesn't fit between the rotor and the wheel, and doesn't move the rotor away from the wheel, then the only thing you'll have to deal with is any difference in Hub widths....

Old 05-14-2019, 03:21 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by swiftler
Is the lip necessary or is it there just to ensure that the clip that holds on the hubcap stays on? If yes... can I just remove the hubcap and use a standard spacer. Thanks for everyones help with this, you guys are awesome.
Pretty sure you can use a standard spacer without the hub cap. I removed the hub cap on my '03 Heritage and just used that hub cap spacer anyways.... doesn't look bad or out of place to me.... most people don't look that close anyways...

Here's a pic with the hub cap removed and yet the hub cap spacer is still used on that side of the wheel....

Old 05-14-2019, 03:23 PM
swiftler
6th Gear

Originally Posted by hattitude
I've never seen or used one of those adapter, so not sure how it works. Excuse my ignorance.

If it doesn't fit between the rotor and the wheel, and doesn't move the rotor away from the wheel, then the only thing you'll have to deal with is any difference in Hub widths....
This is what I'm talking about it case anyone else is wondering.

Wheel to Brake Rotor Adapter

The following users liked this post:
hattitude (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 03:38 PM
swiftler
6th Gear

Originally Posted by hattitude
Pretty sure you can use a standard spacer without the hub cap. I removed the hub cap on my '03 Heritage and just used that hub cap spacer anyways.... doesn't look bad or out of place to me.... most people don't look that close anyways...

Here's a pic with the hub cap removed and yet the hub cap spacer is still used on that side of the wheel....

I think that pic may have just answered a majority of my questions. lol

hattitude (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 03:43 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Multihdrdr to the white courtesy phone pls.

Well, if he answers the white courtesy phone, I'll find out in a hurry if I misunderstood the OP's plans or gave any misinformation.......

Campy Roadie (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 05:38 PM
swiftler
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 470004
Welcome!
Thanks!!!

Old 05-15-2019, 11:54 AM
swiftler
6th Gear

So I got the front wheel on last night. I used the spacers off of my fatboy and then added in a second spacer to each side to make up for the difference. The brake rotor lined up perfectly so I think I'm all good. I did have one issue that I could not solve and decided to just skip it. I could not for the life of me get the hubcap off! I removed the C clip (that was a pain in the a**) but then I couldn't get the spacer or the hub to come off at that point so I just left it.

The following 2 users liked this post by swiftler:
Campy Roadie (05-16-2019), hattitude (05-15-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 08:50 AM
GarageJockey
Advanced
Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice looking bike!......From the title of this thread i thought it was going to be a gas cap question

Old 05-17-2019, 11:14 AM
swiftler
6th Gear

Originally Posted by GarageJockey
Nice looking bike!......From the title of this thread i thought it was going to be a gas cap question
Thanks Jockey. Started working on the rear tire yesterday. I think I got all of the spacing figured out, but like a dummy I didn't realize that I would need the same adapter that I used on the brake rotor to get the belt sprocket to fit. Now she is on hold until they arrive on Monday. Gotta love Harley projects. lol

Quick Reply: New to the Forum and frustrating question