Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Salvage Value or Sell for Parts

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 01:23 PM
Ryder 76
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Salvage Value or Sell for Parts

I HAD a 2007 FLSTC and was trailering it to Salt Lake from Houston. I had a severe accident and totalled all three vehicles - car, m/c, and uhaul trailer. My Harley is still in Rawlins, Wyoming where I had the accident and I am trying to sell it for the parts that are still good. I need advice, and would appcreciate all the help I can get. I am in Salt Lake with a concussion and 5 broken ribs so my abilities are limited as to what I am able to do.

Old 05-18-2019, 03:48 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,921 Likes on 3,021 Posts

Depends on what you have for insurance. Full coverage and replacement? You'll never get the money back from the parts alone if it's totaled, so take the insurance money.

Old 05-18-2019, 05:41 PM
Ryder 76
Novice

Hey Ranger73,

I only had liability on it and intended to get full coverage when I got to SLC. Unfortunately, Wrecking totaled everything, so I'm out a scoot. My car insurance is coordinating with the Uhaul insurance and they are doing an inspection on the trailer. I have pics of the driverside tire and wheel missing from the trailer. There is a possibility that if the trailer wheel failure is the cause there will be a larger compensation to come.

Being from Houston, now in Salt Lake on a contract and Scoot in Wyoming is a trifecta of logistics. The bike is still my property therefore....gotta do something with it.

Old 05-18-2019, 07:04 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,921 Likes on 3,021 Posts

If you can prove it was the fault of the UHaul m's tire blowout At least you receive book value for both the bike and car

The following users liked this post:
Ryder 76 (05-18-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 07:21 PM
chopper_man
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,603 Likes on 953 Posts

Do you have full coverage on your car? Your bikes insurance should not be in-play here as you were not riding it at the time, the bikes insurance would be considered secondary. Auto insurance covers the trailer and it's contents, in this case your bike. Obviously may vary per state but definitely worth checking.

The following 2 users liked this post by chopper_man:
kngpn (05-18-2019), RANGER73 (05-18-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 08:07 PM
Ryder 76
Novice

I do have full coverage on the car and it did cover my trailer when I had one. I did not think to ask them, but it seems they should be covering my motorcycle. Thanks chopper_man I will look into it.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:34 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,603 Likes on 5,172 Posts

What are they charging you to store it while you wait to figure it out ? That can add up fast. Yea recover it if you get a payday but that is up in the air as of now. Cut your losses now document every thing and recover it all if the payday comes.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:52 PM
monckywrench
Tourer
Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts

If you have to ask then you're probably better off abandoning it if insurance doesn't pay off. Pics of the bike would help us advise the best course of action.

As a mechanic if the towing and storage aren't absurd and I had a place to stash it I'd inquire about truck freight. If insurance doesn't pay off then you don't have to surrender title which remains clean so the wreck could be the base of a low hassle project bike. Frame with clean title should sell for about a grand if parting out but you're injured so parting could be problematic. Easy way is sell the bike complete because clear title makes it more desirable than a salvage titled wreck.

If you dump it I'd offer the title to the towing company for about four hundred bucks. That saves them the hassle of getting a magistrate-issued title before they can sell it.

Ryder 76 (05-21-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 11:00 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,917 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Suck deal man, bummer. Not enough info on the bike to begin to pass on advice about it sorry. Down side is the bikes racking up storage fees fast and those can get stupid quick, get on the phone and find out whats going on with that at least. Bad enough you may be just walking away from it.

Ryder 76 (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 04:11 PM
Ryder 76
Novice

Here are the pics of the bike. I have no idea what the guy is charging for storage if anything. Will call him and see what is going on with it. Maybe he will take the bike for any storage fees. It's been there since April the 24th. Long story on why I am just now trying to figure all this out.

Quick Reply: Salvage Value or Sell for Parts