Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   Ignition Switch Question???? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/1285118-ignition-switch-question.html)

docblaster 05-22-2019 03:05 PM

Ignition Switch Question????

Today on my lunch break I was moving my wife's bike (02 Heritage Softail) from the garage to the driveway to get another toy out. When I tried to start her bike to move it back into the garage I get no lights, nothing on either ignition or accessory. Thinking she may have left it on accidentally and ran the battery down, I push it into the garage. As I am pushing it i notice the dash lights flicker a little then stay on on accessory. I switch the switch back to ignition and no lights. If i wiggle the switch or turn it off then back on I can get the dash lights to light up but no fuel pump sound and no headlight. So I am pretty sure I just need a new ignition switch.

I called Harley and they want $159 and it will take 7-10 days for a new switch because they are going to key the barrels to the vin. We have a ride coming up next weekend and I want to make sure this thing is back up and running by then. I found some aftermarket switches online and figured I would give them a shot knowing they will come with a new key. Since this bike has the security system does the switch itself have to be programmed in some way or can I just use the aftermarket one?

DC Mike 05-22-2019 07:09 PM

Don't spend the money on a new switch! You can disassemble yours, clean the old grease and corrosion, re-grease, and re-assemble. Once you're done you'll remember what that switch is supposed to feel like when it was new. Haha

I've done it to mine, I think I found a "how-to" thread here. Here's a vid from YouTube talking about it...

DC Mike 05-22-2019 07:17 PM

From another forum...

"When I took the key lock/switch out, there was a big snap ring on the back that lets you remove a round plastic piece. That reveals 3 small springs sitting in 3 silver U shaped contacts sitting on 3 copper contacts, everything covered in dielectric grease. I noticed a black stripe on one of the contacts and it looked like the copper had worn off.

I removed the U shaped contacts, cleaned out the grease and scrubbed off the copper contacts until they were bright and shiny, then gave them 2 or 3 doses of contact cleaner. I covered all the contacts with new dielectric grease and pieced it back together. Works perfectly! I'm so excited I'll have to go buy cams, heads and a nitrous kit now!

One note-- when you have the back of the switch off, don't lift it off the bench-- that will allow the front (where key is) to separate from the center and that's when springs and plungers go *SPROING* and you go *AARGGHH*!

I love it when I can save 100 + labor in about an hour.
"

RANGER73 05-23-2019 07:02 AM

Remember a person assembled this, with patients you can disassemble and reassemble it.
Maybe not fix it but certainly disassemble and reassemble it.

Dan89FLSTC 05-23-2019 07:05 AM

The first thing you need to do is make sure the battery is fully charged, then have it load tested.

touchdown 05-23-2019 07:59 AM

Your switch is easy to get to so pull it out and check it after you charge it up full. After you charge and clean it, if that don't work I would just use a toggle switch you can get at the hardware store until your new comes in.

RANGER73 05-23-2019 08:15 AM

Couldn't hurt, but if the OP is getting flickering when he moves the switch I'm betting it's the switch.

Pitbull_Dallas 05-23-2019 08:22 AM

I'd just go with an aftermarket switch and be done with it. It's plug and play. I had a similar issue with my bike a number of years back and I took the switch apart with the intent of fixing it. Well, it wasn't fixable because one of the main contacts had sunk into the plastic housing. The extra key is a non-issue..

docblaster 05-23-2019 08:28 AM

Thanks guys for the input! I took the switch out, took it apart and cleaned it up. Found some corrosion inside and on the contacts outside. Reassembled and not its working like a champ. I have the aftermarket one coming anyway so will keep it as a spare. Pretty simple fix actually which is never the case lol. Thanks again everyone!!

Wife is a happy camper her bike isn't out of commission for the ride this weekend. She hates riding on the back seat.