Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Carb FLST dies after long rides.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 01:42 PM
Joshburnett1982
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 2006 Carb FLST dies after long rides.

My 2006 Carbed FLST dies at a stop, after I have ridden it for about 30 miles straight or so. The problem never shows up when I have ridden it short distance. I installed a Mikuni HSR42 on it because the factory one had a crack in the bell behind the air cleaner. I bought the bike used to I'm guessing it got over torqued at some point. Also the bike has a screaming eagle air cleaner, and pipes. Also I noticed after I left it idling on the side stand, when I picked it off the stand it sputtered and died. The tank was full with 93 octane, so I know it has gas in it. I'm at a loss, any help would be appreciated.
https://www.jpcycles.com/product/400...carburetor-kit

Old 06-08-2019, 02:12 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Does it restart after dying? Maybe some vapor locking..?

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 06-08-2019 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:13 PM
Joshburnett1982
Advanced

It will but takes a couple cranks to get it, what would cause it to vapor lock? Never had a bike do that before. This is my first Harley, so I am learning as I go.
UPDATE: I found a video talking about the vent in the gas cap, mine was rock solid. So I pushed a little harder and it now just rattles around in the cap. Do I need a new cap now?

Last edited by Joshburnett1982; 06-08-2019 at 02:59 PM. Reason: found a video, with hopefully the answer.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:25 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,409 Likes on 4,015 Posts

Hard to assess from an internet description, but if you think you damaged the gas cap, get a new one... a poorly venting tank can cause what you describe.

You also have a vent nipple on the front of the tank, that ends with a vapor valve, but I believe that controls the release of vapors from the tank, not for the tank to "breathe".

I always thought vapor lock only happens in sections of metal fuel line, but I could be wrong.. So, when you installed the Mikuni, did you replace another Mikuni or the OEM Keihin CV40...? I ask, because with an other than OEM carb, the fuel line may have been routed differently to accommodate the new carb. Whoever routed the fuel line, if different than the OEM fuel line route, could have it touch/pass close to a heat source that could cause the gas in the line to vaporize, thus form a vapor lock...

Good luck with the fix.....

Old 06-08-2019, 06:28 PM
Joshburnett1982
Advanced

Originally Posted by hattitude
Hard to assess from an internet description, but if you think you damaged the gas cap, get a new one... a poorly venting tank can cause what you describe.

You also have a vent nipple on the front of the tank, that ends with a vapor valve, but I believe that controls the release of vapors from the tank, not for the tank to "breathe".

I always thought vapor lock only happens in sections of metal fuel line, but I could be wrong.. So, when you installed the Mikuni, did you replace another Mikuni or the OEM Keihin CV40...? I ask, because with an other than OEM carb, the fuel line may have been routed differently to accommodate the new carb. Whoever routed the fuel line, if different than the OEM fuel line route, could have it touch/pass close to a heat source that could cause the gas in the line to vaporize, thus form a vapor lock...

Good luck with the fix.....
I ordered a new gas cap, the bike was doing this before I installed the carb. But if it hadn't been for the issue I would have never seen the crack in the original. Hopefully the new cap will be in this week, and I will take it for a spin and see what happens.

The following users liked this post:
hattitude (06-08-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 07:30 AM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Not saying its vapor locking, but gas in the carburaor bowl can actually vapor lock if it gets hot enough. It's not just limited to fuel lines..

The following users liked this post:
hattitude (06-10-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 03:09 PM
Joshburnett1982
Advanced

Originally Posted by Pitbull_Dallas
Not saying its vapor locking, but gas in the carburaor bowl can actually vapor lock if it gets hot enough. It's not just limited to fuel lines..
I'm going to continue to troubleshoot, see what happens. Thanks for the help.

Old 06-09-2019, 06:19 PM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Could be electrical. Like a coil going bad or a switch.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:52 PM
Joshburnett1982
Advanced

Originally Posted by the blob
Could be electrical. Like a coil going bad or a switch.
I'll keep that in mind also, but the vent in the cap wouldn't move at all, until I pushed it real hard. Now it just rattles around in the cap. The new one is on the way, will keep ya'll updated as to what happens.

Old 06-12-2019, 04:07 PM
Cotton1
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you can use a hairdryer to see if the coil is breaking down with heat.

Quick Reply: 2006 Carb FLST dies after long rides.