Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EFI to carb

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 09:28 AM
DammitDave
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EFI to carb

Hello. I have an 03 Fatboy with a bent/twisted crank. As a temporary fix I am thinking of getting an ebay motor. If I get a previously EFI motor can I just throw my carb and intake on it or is there more to it than that? Thanks.

Old 06-10-2019, 01:31 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Don't know, but I'll be watching. I'm interested in this as well..

Old 06-12-2019, 10:21 AM
Cotton1
Intermediate

I also have no info, but am interested in this topic. I recently bought my very first EFI bike, but am partial to carbs. I hate the idea of having to buy a tuner to make adjustments that are simple on a carb. I admit that the efi runs nice and smooth and I will probably leave it alone, but...switching to carb has crossed my mind.

Things that I think might be a problem are the sensors and the sort. I dont know the ins and outs relative to the spark/timing etc or if that matters at all if the efi is just unplugged. @DammitDave your bike was a carb model already? If it was I bet sticking with carb will be the most simple route. I hope somebody here with some been there done that will chime in for you.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:36 AM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Since your 03 doesn't have ECU, BCM and such putting the carburetor fuel delivery should be a non issue. Make sure you get a B motor not an A for easier bolt up. The "eBay" motor, long or short block, won't care what fuel system you use, just swap all the original parts from the 03 to the next one. Make sure that what ever block you get is compatible with your transmission, unless the new one comes with it. IAW getting another 88 or 96 will be much simpler than jumping to a 110 or such.

Old 06-15-2019, 11:24 AM
Hellbilly07
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DammitDave
Hello. I have an 03 Fatboy with a bent/twisted crank. As a temporary fix I am thinking of getting an ebay motor. If I get a previously EFI motor can I just throw my carb and intake on it or is there more to it than that? Thanks.
That's pretty much it on the swap! I'm doing mine as we speak. Cut the entire wiring harness off last night and cut out the square tube above the engine. You obviously have to have an intake and the carb- I stand by S&S being the best. Next, the ignition has to be addressed. When it comes to the best Stand Alone Ignition, Thunderheart is it. Easy to use and install. It operates off the crank position sensor and can be tuned, rev limit can be set along with front and rear cylinder spark timing. Super reliable setup. Not my first go at it. I am a fan of carbs and real choppers..to build a real chopper it's got to be carbed (cant hide enough wiring on EFI.) Pull the trigger on it! You wont regret it. Realistically...you are looking at $800-1,000 in parts. Hope this helps.

Old 06-15-2019, 11:26 AM
Hellbilly07
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I totally missed the whole point! Lol my bad guys. I was replying as a SWAP...not just an engine swap. Sorry bout that

Old 06-18-2019, 07:50 AM
Cotton1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hellbilly07
That's pretty much it on the swap! I'm doing mine as we speak. Cut the entire wiring harness off last night and cut out the square tube above the engine. You obviously have to have an intake and the carb- I stand by S&S being the best. Next, the ignition has to be addressed. When it comes to the best Stand Alone Ignition, Thunderheart is it. Easy to use and install. It operates off the crank position sensor and can be tuned, rev limit can be set along with front and rear cylinder spark timing. Super reliable setup. Not my first go at it. I am a fan of carbs and real choppers..to build a real chopper it's got to be carbed (cant hide enough wiring on EFI.) Pull the trigger on it! You wont regret it. Realistically...you are looking at $800-1,000 in parts. Hope this helps.
My new to me 01 Heritage is EFI, all the rest of my bikes are carb. If I unplug the wiring and add the intake/carb and the Thunderheart you mentioned will I get to treat it as a carb bike or will I wind up with a lot of trouble codes/electrical problems? Its something I have been thinking about spending money on the carb swap instead of a tuner before I swap pipes.

Old 06-18-2019, 04:23 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,246 Likes on 3,624 Posts

Originally Posted by Cotton1
My new to me 01 Heritage is EFI, all the rest of my bikes are carb. If I unplug the wiring and add the intake/carb and the Thunderheart you mentioned will I get to treat it as a carb bike or will I wind up with a lot of trouble codes/electrical problems? Its something I have been thinking about spending money on the carb swap instead of a tuner before I swap pipes.
While I like thunderhearts thundermax, I'm not too hot on their ignition systems unless you are trying to build a minimalist bike like a chopper. The TH ignition does not use the map sensor which will cost you a few MPG. A Daytona twin tech module would be better IMO. It is a replacement for stock carbed bikes that uses MAP and can be setup with the bank angle sensor if so desired.

Last edited by Max Headflow; 06-18-2019 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:14 AM
Kyfatboy05
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cotton1

Swapped my 05 fat boy to the thunderheart and an SS shorty,I simply unplugged and tucked all wiring and left the fuel pump and assembly in the tank...only “code” I get is the check engine light stays on. Which is nothing to me!