Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   10" Bars on 17 Fat Boy (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/1288241-10-bars-on-17-fat-boy.html)

Jaystn62 06-14-2019 06:16 AM

10" Bars on 17 Fat Boy

I just purchased a set of Khrome Werks 10" Bobber Apes to put on my Fat Boy. I was in the local dealer last weekend picking up o-rings for an oil change and I asked the parts guy what parts I would need to make the change...such as brake line and clutch cable. He said I should because you should be able to put a set of Heritage bars on a Fat Boy with no changes. Has anyone had any experience with this? I looked up the part numbers and the numbers for a 2017 Fat Boy and Heritage for those parts are different. Any help will be great appreciated before I dig in to this.

Jaystn62 06-17-2019 08:41 AM

Well since nobody chimed in on this I'll fill you in where I'm at on this just in case others decide to try what I have. The bars fit nice. I had enough wire to reach everything without adding extensions. I routed the clutch cable so it works full turn left to right. The upper brake line doesn't even come close. At this point I don't know what to order. Harley site shows two different lines for their Fat bars. One is for the 12" version which is part 41800438 and description is 28.5" upper brake line kit. Which seemed off to me so I went out and measured mine. The line itself stock is about 28.5" This isn't counting where the sift line is crimped on to the hard line which is at least another 6". The other is the 16" Fat bars which the part number is 51800551 which description is a 32.5" brake line kit. My local Harley shop is closed today so I sit here waiting to find out what to order. I don't see where the Harley guide on the site can be right on part numbers. Oh well.

RANGER73 06-17-2019 09:11 AM

Well being everything is bolted on now except for the brake line how short is it?
Measure the old one, add the amount you're short and order a new one.

Jaystn62 06-17-2019 01:28 PM

I believe I'm just going to order the line Harley says is for their 16" Far Bar kit. Trying to explain to someone over the phone to order aftermarket lines or clutch cables has not been a good experience in my past.

Wilbe0580 06-18-2019 08:00 PM

Send some pictures when you done

Jaystn62 06-18-2019 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Wilbe0580 (Post 18339579)
Send some pictures when you done

I ordered the upper brake line this morning. Said it would be 3 to 7 business days before it would be in. I'm posting a couple pictures of where I am now.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...75c0b90715.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...249b465375.jpg

Jaystn62 06-23-2019 07:49 PM

Well an update. I ordered the line part # 41800551. Picked it up Thursday afternoon but didn't have time to try it until today. It was a fail. This is the line that Harley's online guide suggest for their 16" Fat Bars. Problem is that upper front brake line on bike now starts with a banjo fitting at master cylinder and soft line is crimped on to hard line that bends around and terminates on ABS module. The line Harley list starts with a banjo fitting at master cylinder and ends with an AN fitting. Not sure if there is supposed to be another hard line that screws on to the line I have now or that Harley really screwed up on their listing. My dealership is closed tomorrow so I'll have to wait til Tuesday to contact them. Maybe the service dept can shed some light on this. I'm sure someone has put apes on a 2017 FL softail. So someone should know something.

ole_phart 06-23-2019 08:25 PM

Your best bet might be to call Magnum Shielding, explain your situation and see what they've got. You can get regular black lines from them in addition to braided.

When I put mini apes on my Low Rider I went that route. I didn't like HD's squirrelly "adaptor" and got a Magnum one piece hose 2" longer than stock (40" on a Low Rider).

I don't have ABS so I don't know what you're dealing with there but Magnum may be able to help you out.

Jaystn62 06-23-2019 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by ole_phart (Post 18351127)
Your best bet might be to call Magnum Shielding, explain your situation and see what they've got. You can get regular black lines from them in addition to braided.

When I put mini apes on my Low Rider I went that route. I didn't like HD's squirrelly "adaptor" and got a Magnum one piece hose 2" longer than stock (40" on a Low Rider).

I don't have ABS so I don't know what you're dealing with there but Magnum may be able to help you out.

Funny I just looked at Magnums site and found an adapter that looks like it's exactly what I need. Going to call tomorrow and see if it fit's the brake line I already have.

Jaystn62 06-25-2019 05:17 PM

Update....I couldn't get any help from Harley or dealership on what I need. So I called Magnum Shielding. Salesperson was very helpful. I told her I was looking at part # AS47000. She said she needed to confirm it fit the Harley brake line I had already purchased. From what we could put together it is exactly what I need. I ordered one through Dennis Kirk and should be here in a couple days. Finally I should be able to try out my new bars. Lesson learned? It would have been faster, easier and cheaper to order Magnum's brake line.