Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top of belt rubbing with slammed softail

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 09:03 PM
mshred
Road Captain
Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Top of belt rubbing with slammed softail

So my 2004 night train is slammed in the back, pretty well rides on the bumpstops- it's like riding a hardtail lol. The top of the belt is rubbing, so it is now shiny and at the belt is getting very lightly shaved in the process.

I have yet to readjust belt tension after lowering (whooops!) And have put on easily 2500 miles like this. I'm wondering if thus is going to damage the belt to point of failure? I'm going to readjust belt tension and hoping that helps, but not sure how serious this can be considered. I'd really rather not raise it up, and I know there have to be others riding slammed bikes like this too- is a belt more of a consumable now because of this?

Any experience is appreciated!

Old 06-23-2019, 09:29 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,832 Likes on 17,453 Posts

By dropping the *** you've taken the belt out of it's designed center to center alignment and it's probably rubbing on the swingarm pivot shaft. Yes it's going keep wearing the belt and the shaft, belts ARE NOT designed to wear on the backside, they really don't like that. Depending on how slammed you have it some bikes the belt actually gets stretched at the extreme outer edge of what's left of the arc travel, this really wears them fast, doesn't do your tranny & inner primary bearings any favors either.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:06 PM
mshred
Road Captain

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
By dropping the *** you've taken the belt out of it's designed center to center alignment and it's probably rubbing on the swingarm pivot shaft. Yes it's going keep wearing the belt and the shaft, belts ARE NOT designed to wear on the backside, they really don't like that. Depending on how slammed you have it some bikes the belt actually gets stretched at the extreme outer edge of what's left of the arc travel, this really wears them fast, doesn't do your tranny & inner primary bearings any favors either.
The bike has been lowered but level, front is dropped a lot as well.

Tightening the belt to the proper spec it should be at wont help at all?

Obviously what is going on is not ideal, nor factory intended. My concern more then anything is will the belt get ruined to the point where it's going to fail prematurely from running it this way

Old 06-24-2019, 10:27 PM
billib1954
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 233 Posts

Do a good burnout. If the belt breaks, it was worn.

Old 06-24-2019, 11:07 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,832 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Originally Posted by mshred
The bike has been lowered but level, front is dropped a lot as well.

Tightening the belt to the proper spec it should be at wont help at all?

Obviously what is going on is not ideal, nor factory intended. My concern more then anything is will the belt get ruined to the point where it's going to fail prematurely from running it this way
I did explain to you what is happening and what the results will be eventually. Asking till you hear what you want won't change that. Not being mean just truthful man.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:31 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,858 Likes on 4,112 Posts

You are trying to justify your own decisions in your head. Because I ride my bike on the bump stops, everyone must ride on the bump stops. Because of this I have belt damage so the belts must be a consumable. The reality is, most people don't ride on the bump stops. They may ride slammed but not on the bump stops. I agree with TwiZted Biker. It sounds like you want us to tell you what you want to hear.

No one can tell you if the damage to your belt will ultimately result in belt failure. Look logically at your situation. The belt will either remain intact or fail. The fact is the damage to your belt isn't helping it remain intact. Either do something about it or take your chances. You said you don't want to raise your bike. There's your answer... take your chances.

Old 06-25-2019, 05:22 AM
mshred
Road Captain

Guys, I appreciate the input, but it has nothing to do with wanting to hear a certain response. I know this situation is not ideal, I have ready stated that...and yes, it may not be common, but I know there have to be others riding around totally slammed. I wasnt looking for the mechanics behind what's happening, but more so experience with this and how it all panned out (I think my original post said that too). I've yet to adjust my belt tension, so i was also curious if that would potentially help or even resolve the situation (I really dont think it will, but doesnt hurt to ask).

Thanks for the input

Old 06-25-2019, 05:23 AM
mshred
Road Captain

Originally Posted by billib1954
Do a good burnout. If the belt breaks, it was worn.
LOL if the tires were due for a change I would totally do it 🤣...but they are very new and I'm not interested in watching my money go up in smoke at the moment ahaha

Old 06-25-2019, 05:31 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,905 Likes on 3,015 Posts

Adjusting the tension will NOT stop the rubbing, it's the angle of travel that's creating the rubbing.
Where's it rubbing, the belt guard? The swingarm pivot?
Raise it an inch or take the lower guard off.

Old 06-25-2019, 05:32 AM
mshred
Road Captain

Originally Posted by RANGER73
Adjusting the tension will NOT stop the rubbing, it's the angle of travel that's creating the rubbing.
Where's it rubbing, the belt guard? The swingarm pivot?
Raise it an inch or take the lower guard off.
Both guards are off, so the swingarm pivot

Quick Reply: Top of belt rubbing with slammed softail