Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   Engine swap (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/1289659-engine-swap.html)

Cliff Taber 06-24-2019 12:23 AM

Engine swap

I have a 2004 Fatboy. I scattered the engine last week. I am looking at putting a used engine on my bike and found the non counterbalanced engine's to be a lot cheaper than the b engine. Has any one put the non counterbalanced engine in a Softail frame?

MNtadpole 06-24-2019 10:07 AM

Random question here: What exactly occurred during the "scattered" evolution? Did chunks go flying?

QC 06-24-2019 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Cliff Taber (Post 18351460)
I have a 2004 Fatboy. I scattered the engine last week. I am looking at putting a used engine on my bike and found the non counterbalanced engine's to be a lot cheaper than the b engine. Has any one put the non counterbalanced engine in a Softail frame?

It will not work.

Cliff Taber 06-24-2019 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by MNtadpole (Post 18352198)
Random question here: What exactly occurred during the "scattered" evolution? Did chunks go flying?

Not sure exactly what gave up but there's a hole in the bottom of the case

Cliff Taber 06-24-2019 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by QC (Post 18352212)
It will not work.

Not to be a pain but can you be more specific?I know that mounts would have to be made but what other problems

Scudda 06-24-2019 12:57 PM

Well just a guess the "A: motor uses rubber mounts and then these mount to the fram...the "B" motor mounts directly to the frame...The trans for the Softail frame also mounts diffently and the "A: motor trans also has the swingarm mount in it...I would think by the time you are done spending on everything you will need to change...you might as well get the corret engine

XARAN 06-24-2019 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Scudda (Post 18352576)
Well just a guess the "A: motor uses rubber mounts and then these mount to the fram...the "B" motor mounts directly to the frame...The trans for the Softail frame also mounts diffently and the "A: motor trans also has the swingarm mount in it...I would think by the time you are done spending on everything you will need to change...you might as well get the corret engine

+1. And if you try to mount it with out the rubber mount (to let the engine move) with a non counterbalanced engine the vibration would be strongly fely in the bike and may even end up cracking the engine cases

hdbob2006 06-24-2019 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by XARAN (Post 18352752)
+1. And if you try to mount it with out the rubber mount (to let the engine move) with a non counterbalanced engine the vibration would be strongly fely in the bike and may even end up cracking the engine cases

Not to mention,that if you tried to replace a 'b' motor with an 'a',you'd have literally no place to bolt it down. i wonder how Harley mounted engines before they started using rubber mounts? Yes,you did
"strongly feel the vibrations",but no,it didn't cause any 'cracked cases'. But, to put it simply, as QC said "It won't work". This forum can really be a trip sometimes!

QC 06-24-2019 06:26 PM

With all of the above said, a Softail engine should be findable at a reasonable price.

kkiley 06-25-2019 08:47 AM

Not hard to find at all
88B motor