Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   Softail Oil Check - Jiffy Stand or Standing Up...? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/1289778-softail-oil-check-jiffy-stand-or-standing-up.html)

writer1973 06-24-2019 07:34 PM

Softail Oil Check - Jiffy Stand or Standing Up...?

I've got a 2012 Fatboy Lo with an aftermarket RIGID oil dipstick. On the jiffy stand, it shows more than a quart low (both hot or cold). Standing up level, it shows full (both hot or cold). I called the dealer (where I picked it up from) and they said that Softails with rigid dipsticks should be checked standing up. Then I did some research here on HD-Forums and there's someone quoting the 2008 FLSTC official Harley manual that says check on the jiffy stand:

"For preride inspection with the vehicle on jiffy stand on level ground, remove and wipe off the dipstick. Install the dipstick back into the oil tank."

WTF? Which is proper? Are rigid dipsticks that different from the floppy ones? Can't believe this is my fourth Harley and I'm asking this question. Thanks in advance for helping my dumbass out.

OldEnuf2NoBtr 06-24-2019 09:56 PM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...b03eeb4de8.jpg

bad tappets 06-24-2019 10:03 PM

My ‘06 is on the side stand. However different model years have different procedure. Check the owners manual for your model.

writer1973 06-24-2019 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr (Post 18353895)

So... you don't know either. Maybe someone will come on here and help us both out.

writer1973 06-24-2019 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by bad tappets (Post 18353913)
My ‘06 is on the side stand. However different model years have different procedure. Check the owners manual for your model.

Thanks but the problem is that this is not the stock dipstick... the dealership said the rigid dipsticks (aftermarket with the temp gauge on top) require the bike to be vertical to read. I've never heard this before and can't verify on the forums.

Bone Doc 06-25-2019 01:47 AM

Hopefully, the manufacturer of a dipstick places the calibrations at the appropriate place on the dipstick so it gives an accurate reading regardless of whether it is a rigid dipstick or not. That may not be the case. Nonetheless, if you tattoo your dick with graduations for oil level you can use it to check your oil.

The 2012 Softail Owner's Manual says to check the oil on the jiffy stand.

Ridetothehill 06-25-2019 03:47 AM

Couldn't you use the stock stick, if you still have it, to get to the proper level; and, then check it with your new stick?

IronAss 06-25-2019 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Ridetothehill;[url=tel:18354125
18354125[/url]]Couldn't you use the stock stick, if you still have it, to get to the proper level; and, then check it with your new stick?

You beat me to it. If he no longer has the stock stick I’m sure someone will let him stick their floppy stick in his bag so he can compare.

j33ptj 06-25-2019 06:50 AM

Don't even have the original oiltank,... it is all a guess!

:-D

hattitude 06-25-2019 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by writer1973 (Post 18353557)

WTF? Which is proper? Are rigid dipsticks that different from the floppy ones? Can't believe this is my fourth Harley and I'm asking this question. Thanks in advance for helping my dumbass out.

Yes they are.....

Just think of the geometry of what's going on....

For your reference:
Both my softails have rigid, straight dipsticks and say to check oil with bike level..
My '16 touring bike has a "floppy" dipstick. It has two scales. One for level and one for jiffy stand oil checks (my '12 touring had the same)

IMHO..... If we assume your aftermarket dipstick is marked accurately, and since you ride your bike in the upright position... I'd check the oil with the bike warm, level and keep it just of the full mark...