Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is low-speed surge normal for EFI?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 05:45 PM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Is low-speed surge normal for EFI?

Trying to ride as much as possible in between rain storms (all week), I am only 300 miles intomy honeymoon.

If I take the long way out of my neighborhood (30mph) I stick to second-gear for almost one mile. I have noticed that the bike "surges" its way along no matter how steady I try and keep the throttle. Physically feeling fast-slow-fast-slow, etc. beneath me.

I am learning that Harleys hate low speed and are their happiest above 3000 rpm. Without a tach, I am guessing that I am below 3000 rpm in my 25-35mph drift out of the hood.

Running out on the road I don't notice any surging at faster speeds in various gears. So, is all this normal for EFI machines trying to go slow?

The 2008s still run HOT, I'm sure factory-lean, and I think I remember reading a thread that surging is from being too lean?

Your thoughts anyone?

Cheers!

Old 07-27-2007, 05:58 PM
F117ewo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is low-speed surge normal for EFI?

I have not noticed any surging in my 2006 Softail, before or after the Stage 1 kit install. I am usually in 3rd gear by 25 mph. Try a higher gear. The higher the rpm in lower gears, the more sensitive the throttle seems to be. Richening up the mixture may help you too. Is there a Stage 1 in your future???

Jake

Old 07-27-2007, 06:00 PM
breaknbad
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think what your feeling is the slack in the primary chain. It is sopposed to be a little loose. I feel my bike surge alot in first gear. If your motor is running a constant speed than it is the chain. Completly normal. You should be able to tell if you motor is surging by the sound of it. Ask the mechanic about it on the 1000 mile service. If your motor is that lean to couse surging there is a problem.
Get some pipes on there and richen that motor up. You wont be dissapointed.

David

Old 07-27-2007, 06:10 PM
Unibomber
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Normal bro, remember you still have gears, belts and chains = torque = surging at low speeds. Now enjoy that new ride !!!

Old 07-27-2007, 06:31 PM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Guys,

Glad to hear your comments. My biggest concern is not to "Lug" the motor while breaking-in, so I am erroring on the side of a lower gear/higher revs to get to that 500 mile mark.

Today I "Opened" it up a bit in 5th gear. I was doing almost 90mph (when I looked) and the bike was still pulling hard and the speed still climbing. Wow; I love this bike. The only surge then was my azz trying to slide forward again on the seat. Hee hee.

I will mention my little worries to the dealer at 1k, but I much more value the forum's input.

Regards.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:17 PM
scottylj
Cruiser

I thought the same and I then got my fatty stage1'ed at the the first service..... hello, new bike???

The hook is in - Stage 2 .......NEXT!!

Old 07-28-2007, 10:32 AM
philgrocks
Cruiser

I don't notice any surge on my 2007 FXSTC with 900 miles on it

Old 07-28-2007, 10:35 AM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my 07 FXD had that until they did the recall and flashed the ECM, went away.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:28 AM
Navychief
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: PoorBoy

Thanks Guys,

Glad to hear your comments. My biggest concern is not to "Lug" the motor while breaking-in, so I am erroring on the side of a lower gear/higher revs to get to that 500 mile mark.

Today I "Opened" it up a bit in 5th gear. I was doing almost 90mph (when I looked) and the bike was still pulling hard and the speed still climbing. Wow; I love this bike. The only surge then was my azz trying to slide forward again on the seat. Hee hee.

I will mention my little worries to the dealer at 1k, but I much more value the forum's input.

Regards.
Ever take off from a stop light in 3rd gear? Now that's some lugging.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:51 AM
Oldtimer of NM
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My '07 doesn't do that. I live on a dirt back country road, so I stay around 25 - 30 MPH until I get to the pavement. A lean mixture can cause surging, especially if it is caused by a vacuum leak. You should try spraying a little WD40 around the intake manifold and throttle body while the engin is idling and see if the idle speed changes. If it does, you have a leak.

Quick Reply: Is low-speed surge normal for EFI?