Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Self installing handle bars

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 04:36 PM
tsween
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Self installing handle bars

I know there are several topics out there that currently discuss new handle bars and installation. I searched several times and did not find what I am looking for.

2007 Standard

I am getting Milwaukee twins T Bar1 1/4 with the 8 inch rise. 7 or 10 inch pull back, yet to decide on that. I have basic mechanical ability and am wondering the exact specifics on how to remove the old bars, grips (I have read several threads on this and most likely will get new grips) the controls, light switches, horn, start switch etc. How do I remove the control assemblies? is it simply with the torx screws? Once those are off I imagine putting them on the new bars to be simple. I do not want to start taking things apart without knowing if what i am doing is correct.

I see this project as one i can handle, any advice, specifics or links to other threads that i have missed or over looked would be very helpful.

What is invloved, tank removal? head light removal?

Old 08-11-2007, 05:26 PM
T Rat
Tourer
Default RE: Self installing handle bars

Unless you need to extend the wires for turn signals, starter, high beam, kill switch, etc. etc....you DO NOT need to remove the tank at all. Just the controls. BE ADVISED. When/before you take off the right side controls squeeze the brake and place a thick piece of cardboard behind the brake handle or you may break off the switch head to the front brake light sending unit. After you reinstall the controls, remove the cardboard.

[align=left] [/align]

Old 08-11-2007, 05:36 PM
Alien Spyder
Grand HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I changed the bars on my 2003 Night Train I had to remove the tank because I internally wired the handlebars. If your going to insert the wires into your bars then you'll need to disconnect the wires at the connector which is zip strapped to the frame directly underneath the tank.

If your not going to go with the internal wires the job is a lot easier.

I'll look around for the thread I referred to when I did this job. It helps to have a manual with you but it's not completly necessary for this job.

The whole job is really a piece of cake but your doing good to do your homework first. [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 08-11-2007, 08:33 PM
imboden
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

my advice is to run the wires inside the bars when you do it. imo you'll regret it later if you don't

Old 08-13-2007, 12:57 PM
tsween
Intermediate

so the consensus is that the tank must be removed to get to the plugs so i can place some wires within the handle bars.

Does it completely have to be removed or can i loosen the front bolts and pivot the tank up to get to the wire plugs

Old 08-13-2007, 02:17 PM
JohnK/Pa
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should take the tank off, it will give you alot more room. When I put a set of FL bars on mine I had to get to all the wire connectors under the tank and just taking out the front bolt did not give any room to work in.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:55 PM
tsween
Intermediate

i have searched and searched, is there any place with pics of removing the tank?

is it really that gib of a pain?

Old 08-13-2007, 03:02 PM
JohnK/Pa
Tourer

On my 05 there was no way I could get to the connectors without taking off the tank. The wires are tied to the frames backbone and the connectors are hooked to studs welded to the frame. You can always try to get there without taking the tank off.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:31 PM
Trotter
Banned

Man when I saw the Heading ( Self Installing Handlebars ). I thought I'd been out of it for too long, All ya have to do is spend the money and they self install now...Crap Oh Well

Old 08-13-2007, 10:30 PM
bigthunder
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Remove the tank. I just put on a set of street slammers drag bars on my 07 FXST and tried to lift the tank just to see underneath and broke the cheap *** plastic fuel connector and made a hell of a mess. To remove the tank, remove long bolt in the front and the bolt by the seat tab, then disconnect the fuel line from the tank side of the the fuel line(this is a quick connect fitting). Now remove the quick connect fitting from the hose that you just disconnected from the tank and clamp on about a 3 foot hose for draining the fuel. Next put end of hose into a fuel can big enough to hold the gas that is in the tank and then connect the quick fitting back up to the tank. Now you should have a hose coming from the tank straight into the gas can. Remove the seat. Pull off the fuse box cover. Pull out the fuse for the fuel pump. Take a jumper wire from the plus side of the battery to the in the fuel pump fuse socket. This will then power the pump to pump out the fuel. After fuel is drained disconnect the jumper hose that is connecting the two sides of the tank. Also remove dash panel and vacuum line. Then tank should be free to lift, except for the plug (wire connector) that is attached underneath that you will have to unplug. An extra set of hands would be very helpful. Hope this will help, I learned the hard way.

Quick Reply: Self installing handle bars