Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting inside the glass of the speedo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 08:41 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Getting inside the glass of the speedo?

I think the answer is no, but just in case:

I had adecent ride Saturday that turned out to be a 90% rain event. It was a little less than enjoyable but it was amazing how stable the bike felt in the downpours. It was 80 miles of rain staying with me, and then another 30 or so miles of very wet roads.

Late that afternoon, after getting back to the stable, I noticed condensation on the glass face inside my speedometer.

Is there any way to get to that to wipe clean, or to open up to let it dry better? In other words, how easy is it to open up the speedo?

Old 09-10-2007, 08:46 AM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Getting inside the glass of the speedo?

Probably better to just let it dry on its own. My OEM gas gauge used to do that.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:53 AM
TraumaKing
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here ya go!

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2030848/tm.htm

Old 09-10-2007, 08:55 AM
ican
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talked to several Harley shops, and they claim it is not a problem. We are just imagining moisture, or you must have done something wrong. My wife has the same problem on her 07 FLSTC and Harley won't own up to the fact that the speedo gets moisture in it. Guess what? It gets worse. Hers started out as condensation and now if she rides in the rain, it gets water in it. Don

Old 09-10-2007, 09:25 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great link TraumaKing. Thanks!

Ya know,every motorcycle I'ver ever owned had condensation one time or another, on some gauge or another.

I may just put up with it for now and see if it gets any worse. If I end up with permanent "deposits" behind the glass, I know I'll be digging into it.

The other bothering rain effect was how bad the bullet laced leather valance coming down off the console to the seat got warped. Lumps and bumps making it lift off of the tank here and there.

Two days later, the bike has fully dried. The valance is flat again, and the condensationis visabily gone. Will check late this afternoon to seeif I can see any residue behind the speedo glass.

When its all said and done, if I wanted everything to STAY perfect, I wouldn't ride my Fatboy,I'd vacuum-seal it away in storage. Since that's not happening, I'll accept all future imperfections as normal wear and tear and simply enjoy my FB's unique way of "maturing" throught the years.

Regards!

Old 09-10-2007, 01:14 PM
sewerat
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

You should try a bagger, every day I have moisture in all the gauges. What i would like to know I'd if anybody has ever changed the bulbs in the speedo and if so what bulb are they? I have changed all my fairing bulbs to red but still have that yellow glow from the tach and speedo