Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   Why in the hell can't HD make a fuel gauge that works? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/152717-why-in-the-hell-cant-hd-make-a-fuel-gauge-that-works.html)

commander112 09-20-2007 07:45 PM

Why in the hell can't HD make a fuel gauge that works?

I have read about many a fuel gauge sticking and now I too am affected by the dreaded sticky fuel gauge. Is there a fix for it (easy hopefully)? Is it that tough to make a float that does not stick? Call me crazy but for as much as these bikes cost I expect simple components to work for more than two years (mine has started sticking one week out of warranty).

Mark

sprunger 09-20-2007 07:49 PM

RE: Why in the hell can't HD make a fuel gauge that works?

Couldnt agree with you more! Shouldnt still be an issue. There is a fix... do a search in this forum. It was posted a while back... I had the same issue on my '05, luckily I always us the trip odometer and not just the gauge. . As soon as I started to research a fix, mine unstuck itself!

anubisss 09-20-2007 07:56 PM

Motorcycles shouldn't have fuel guages. That was the whole problem. Use your odometer instead.

carpetride 09-20-2007 07:57 PM

had stealer fix mine about 1 week before warranty ran out...they said it was sticking or rubbingagainst the tank and they bent it away or somethin...anyway, no trouble for about a year now.

WARG 09-20-2007 08:05 PM

I agree, the LED's aren't much better. I am waiting on a replacement Skull LED gauge, as two of the lights on my first one stopped burning after 6 months. I use my Odometer to decide when to refill, I just have the skull gauge for looks. Zanottis is replacing it for free, so thanks to those guys for standing behind their products.

commander112 09-20-2007 08:31 PM

Searched and found many complaints and few answers to fix the issue. It appears there are a variety of causes. I do not have a shop manual. How do I get in there to look at the float?I know that the sticker telling you not to twist the gauge must be there for a reason. How does the gauge come off? Thanks.

Mark

agapsdiver 09-20-2007 08:35 PM

RE: Fix..

2 Attachment(s)
For EFI, to fix a stuck float, you need to remove fuel pump, and cut off and file down tip of rod protruding from end of float.

nb472 09-20-2007 08:42 PM

Great Answer!

commander112 09-20-2007 08:44 PM

Thanks agapsdiver. So the theory is that the little end on thefloat catches. I'll try that fix. I assume that the red arrow in the first picture is for something other than this project?

Mark

agapsdiver 09-20-2007 08:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, the red arrow is the location of a spring loaded 90degree
elbow that can straighten out. Below is a top view of the
same entire unit prior to removing from the tank.

Note that the fuel tube on the left was disconnected from the fitting on the right, Blue Arrows. The Blue Arrow fuel tube goes to the external fuel tank supply line connector inside the tank (which connects to the fuel pump at the Blue Arrow fitting) DO NOT ALLOW THIS FUEL LINE TO FALL BACK DOWN INTO TANK. As you can see, I have tied a string to the end (at the blue arrow) to tie it off so it would not fall back into the tank.

commander112 09-20-2007 09:04 PM

Thanks agapsdiver!

commander112 09-21-2007 09:38 AM

Alright,I cannot get the assembly out of the tank and am afraid of bending or breaking something as there are stickers on the module that warn of breaking the unit without knowing what you are doing. So what is the trick? I assume that you must remove the supply line moted above while it is still in the tank, correct? Then is feel tension from what I assume to be the float on the left hand side of the unit and there are other lines running around in there too. What gives?
By the way, I clearly have a floathangupissue. What I did was start the process and then replaced the assembly and sure enough gauge is working properly.

Mark

agapsdiver 09-21-2007 09:47 AM

Yes, Before the assembly will come out of the bike you need to use side cutters on the fuel line to remove the clamp. This clamp will be replaced with a new screw type Stainless Steel clamp on reassembly. Do not cut the fuel line...
Once you do that pull the main unit up and try to straighten the unit at the 90degree elbow... I didn't do it because I didn't know about the spring loaded elbow... It is a very tight fit.

agapsdiver 09-21-2007 09:51 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Pics. below

I had to remove single screw below to finish getting unit out, Do not allow screw to fall back into tank.

Below two pics, red arrow shows 90degree spring loaded elbow, side and top views.

Softy 09-21-2007 09:55 AM

It's a common problem withe heritage bikes. it is the float arm hanging up. I reapaired mine,but it's a tedious job to do it. Look at it carfully,the unit is spring loade,it will fold in almost half,and you can
remove the unit.

Beware though, I broke something on mine the first time I took it out,75.00 part. Anyway after I saw how it was made,the reapir and reinstall was relatively easy. Also make sure you protect the paint on your tank.

Hope this helps. p.s. My gauge works perfectly,when it shows empty,I have 1.5 gallon left. Once it's fixed,it does'nt break again.

PoorBoy 09-21-2007 10:04 AM

ORIGINAL: anubisss

Motorcycles shouldn't have fuel guages. That was the whole problem. Use your odometer instead.
That's the real answer.

Also:

If you fly over a 2-foot highramp, the return to earth provides enough jolt to free the stuck float.

agapsdiver 09-21-2007 10:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I also recommend purchasing new screws for the top lid, note the seals, new screw on left with full seal, old screw with compressed seal on right...you don't want fuel leaks...

commander112 09-21-2007 11:19 AM

Excellent! Thanks for all the tips and photos.. Will probably be a job to tackle this weekend sometime.

Mark

itileman 09-21-2007 01:56 PM

The unreliable/inaccurate fuel guage is designed to keep you awake and alert on the bike while you ride doing the math in your head.
Example:
I have 4.9 gallons of fuel, average 42.3 miles per gallon, riding at 67.765 mph - mostly uphill and against the wind - and plan to go 322.8 miles: how old is Louise?

Harley_Dude 09-21-2007 03:15 PM

Fuel gauge?...reset the odo and do the math.

commander112 09-21-2007 03:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Harley_Dude

Fuel gauge?...reset the odo and do the math.
You are missing the point my friend. On my wife's Sportster doing the math is exactly what we do. Why? Because it does not have a gauge. Since somewhere in America there is a guy that got paid good money by Harley (of whichI'm sure a few cents was paid forby my purchase)fordesigning afuel gauge that should work I cannot sleep at night without making this thing work as it was supposed to. That is just how I am. Stuff needs to be in working order. I guess I'm just an order freak. Some people just let the little stuff go. I cannot do that. As such, I'd be the best person to buy a used car/bike from.

Mark

agapsdiver 09-21-2007 03:33 PM

By the way.. after I fixed my float I bought the Kuryakyn fuel gauge and gas cap...could not be happier....

http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go...etail/IMID/396

Bob 09-21-2007 03:53 PM

Heck, in addition to my Harley, I fly a $300K airplane with crap fuel guages.
In the air, I use the clock.
On the ground, I use the odometer.

commander112 09-21-2007 04:12 PM

ORIGINAL: 06FXDBI

In the air, I use the clock.
On the ground, I use the odometer.

The gauges in my airplane are nearly useless too but they do register something (as opposed to the gauge that reads full all the time on my bike). They all are worthless even when new in aiplanes. But they do work as well as they can since fuel is bouncing around and moving all the time. On the other hand, my fuel totalizer is right on and as long as there is not a major leak somewhere it tells me how much fuel I have within a gallon or so. If there is a major leak then the gauges come into play as I can see them dropping quickly.
Sorry for the RUB speak! Back to the topic.

agapsdiver 09-21-2007 04:44 PM

By the way, I suggest you do NOT bend the wire holding the float...no telling the outcome....I suggust ONLY cutting the tip off the end as indicated in my pics.., and be sure to file the end rounded, leaving no sharp edges.

commander112 09-21-2007 04:52 PM

ORIGINAL: agapsdiver

By the way, I suggest you do NOT bend the wire holding the float...no telling the outcome....I suggust ONLY cutting the tip off the end as indicated in my pics.., and by sure to file the end smooth, leaving no sharp edges.
Got it. Thanks.
Project might get put off until next fill up. Received my true duals in the mail. Need to put those on and ride. Gas gauge could be a rainy day garage project.

Mark

bushmaster1115 10-09-2007 12:07 AM

I ride in the rain and my fuel gauge fog up. It goes away in 4-5 days. Gauge still correct but I'd love to have water proof one.

nikonf8 10-09-2007 06:35 AM

i was told that the float has a problem needs to be bent in a bit it hits inside the tank . A friend of mine worked for a harley dealer for a while and that was what he told me

nikonf8 10-09-2007 06:42 AM

word of caution remove the ground cable from the bike before doing any repairs on the fuel gauge. I brought mine in for the repair to my local dealer and the dim wit tech fried the system by touching it against something . they had my bike for 14 days. Harley manual always tells you to remove the ground before doing almost any thing on the bike thats because things like this can happen if you do not, its like hitting the lotto small chance but if its your day it can happen

dmac1968 10-09-2007 07:34 AM

Yeah they are CRAP! After they put my skull fuel gauge on the empty fuel light would come on when the tank was full and turn off when it went under 80%. I told them to fix it and then it did some other freaky stuff.... It's still stuffed. I will get it done under warranty before it expires. Can't remember if I have 12 months or 24 months here in Australia though??

DeanO

ORIGINAL: commander112

I have read about many a fuel gauge sticking and now I too am affected by the dreaded sticky fuel gauge. Is there a fix for it (easy hopefully)? Is it that tough to make a float that does not stick? Call me crazy but for as much as these bikes cost I expect simple components to work for more than two years (mine has started sticking one week out of warranty).

Mark

Milwaukee Steal 10-23-2007 11:23 AM

Sorry, I sort of put my reply to this thread in another thread. See mine in "update to fuel filter.....all need to read this!!". Agaps has done some fine pictures and investigating. And they can hang up. We all just need to finetune our machines so they work like they were designed. And they will work. They are not 'magical'. Just 'smoke and mirrors, smoke and mirrors'. But it's a forum like this that takes the mystery out of it. Then we all get to ride knowing we won't break down!! Enjoy!

PoorBoy 10-23-2007 12:10 PM

ORIGINAL: itileman

The unreliable/inaccurate fuel guage is designed to keep you awake and alert on the bike while you ride doing the math in your head.
Example:
I have 4.9 gallons of fuel, average 42.3 miles per gallon, riding at 67.765 mph - mostly uphill and against the wind - and plan to go 322.8 miles: how old is Louise?
This was sooo funny. Here it is a month later, and I still laugh at this. You nailed H.S. algebra didn't you?

BTW; how old IS Louise? Hee hee hee hee hee.

[sm=happybounce.gif]

txgeezer 10-23-2007 01:31 PM

ORIGINAL: 06FXDBI

The gauge in my airplane are nearly useless too
https://www.hdforums.com/upfiles/smiley/WTFsgign.gifNow you guys are really scaring me - another good reason I don't like to fly.https://www.hdforums.com/upfiles/smiley/jawdrop.gif

As for the HD fuel gauge,in my day we hada kick start, a reserve petcock, 3speed hand shift and also walked to school 3 miles a day in the snow. We didn't have no stinkin fuel gauges for motorcycles!

Which brings me to this question......Do you have an air temp gauge in those airplanes and does it work or do they buy them from the same people Hardly Davidson does?

commander112 10-23-2007 02:41 PM

ORIGINAL: txgeezer

[sm=WTFsgign.gif]Now you guys are really scaring me - another good reason I don't like to fly.[sm=jawdrop.gif]

As for the HD fuel gauge,in my day we hada kick start, a reserve petcock, 3speed hand shift and also walked to school 3 miles a day in the snow. We didn't have no stinkin fuel gauges for motorcycles!

Which brings me to this question......Do you have an air temp gauge in those airplanes and does it work or do they buy them from the same people Hardly Davidson does?

I have an old fashioned outside temp gauge that goes through the windshield and is real accurate. I also have cylinder temp probes for each cylinder and exhaust temp probes on each exhaust tube as well as a turbo inlet temp gauge. All highly accurate. As for fuel, the gauges work in exactly the same method as on my HD (ie sending unit with float that sends resistance level to a gauge). Since fuel is moving around as you bounce through the sky it is less than accurate. Therefore, there is a fuel flow computer to tell you how much you are burning at any moment and it keeps track of what is left and how much time you have till empty. I don't push it and land with at least6 gallons in the tanks (about :30 minutes). By the way, this nifty device is about to go into the airplane (as soon as it is certified for my plane) and gets rid of all the old fashioned steam gauges.
http://www.xerionavionix.com/auracle2.html

beerguytx 10-23-2007 04:19 PM

I never had a problem with my 05 Fatboy, it worked perfect. My 08 Heritage Classic fuel gauge didn't work when I took delivery. Took it back and it kinda worked. Now it's in for the 1000 mile. I will see how it works when I get it back.

JIMRICH 11-05-2007 03:02 PM

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE INFO AND PICS TO FIX STUCK ON FULL FUEL GAUGE. BOUGHT IT LAST FRIDAY WITH 1340 MILES 2005 FLSTNI AND THOUGHT I WAS ON FULL ALL WEEKEND UNTIL I PUT GAS IN AND IT TOOK 3.5 GALLONS. THAN I FOUND THIS SITE WHAT A RELEF TO NOT TAKE TO DEALERSHIP. I BUZZED OFF THE LITTLE PEACE ON THE END OF THE FLOAT AND PUSHED IN THE RETAINING RING THAT HOLDS THE FLOAT WIRE IN IT'S HOUSING (IT SEEMED A LITTLE LOOSE AND WOBBLY. AGAIN THANKS AND IT ONLY TOOK ABOUT 20 MINUTES. GREAT ADVISE!!!!

JIM RICH N.W. HOUSTON TEXAS

sonar_chris 11-05-2007 04:14 PM

Is it that tough to make a float that does not stick? Call me crazy but for as much as these bikes cost I expect simple components to work for more than two years (mine has started sticking one week out of warranty).

Mark
If they did what you wanted, then they couldnt sell you the flush mount gas cap and fuel gage with the LED's that go out after a few weeks for hundreds of dollars. Come on now, the poor MoCo needs to make a buck or two [:@]

Chris