Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat boy handle bars not straight

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 10:10 AM
eagle56
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fat boy handle bars not straight

I haveBrand spanking new Fat boy and the handle bars are pissed .
its been in once already and it looks better but they are still twisted is this a normal problem.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:35 AM
ajaugust
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fat boy handle bars not straight

I have a new Fat Boy as well. The handle bars were/are not straight. But, what is equally bad if not menacing altogether is that I found I can straighten them by either turning the bars lock to lock, depending in what direction would straighten them out. The first time I did it was by accident. Now, it just depends on which way I turn the bars (to the lock position) to "tweak" them. I have not quite figured out what is going on here. I obtained my new 2007 Softail Service Manual 2 days ago. Still getting acquainted with it.
Does anyone have an idea as to what is going on with crooked bars for the '07 Fat Boy? Is it the risers, or riser bushing, or loose fork tubes in the triple trees?
Thanks

Old 09-22-2007, 10:42 AM
FXSTI Guy
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been a couple threads on this problem so it must be fairly common...mine are just a fuzz off to the right on my '06...not really that bad so I've been living with it...it's been said you can correct the problem by installing poly bushings on your risers but as for me I'm planning on swapping my stock bars out for one-piece drags(one of these days)so I'll have to live with it until then.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:25 AM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 203 Posts

Funny... just went through this myself last week. When I got mine back in June, I noticed they were off quite a bit. I got used to it and figured I'd just deal with it next time I had to take it in to the stealer for service. I did my own 1k service, so hadn't been to the stealer for any work.

My buddy and I swapped bikes on a ride so he could see how the new one rides, and he mentioned it... I'd pretty much gotten used to it. We went for a ride last weekend, and happened to stop in at the stealer so I made an appointment for service - I brought it in last Wednesday. They took an hour or soto get to it and make the adjustment, then told me they were going to charge me for 1/2 hour of service! I was not happy debated the issue, and pointed out that the bars were STILL not straight. He said they'd take another look...

I went back in the showroom and saw the sales manager and told him I was NOT a happy camper and explained... he told me to wait for the service manager and we could get it straight. A half-hour later, I went back into Service and saw the bike was ready. I checked, and it appeared that the bars were finally straight. In the mean time, they addressed the issue with the Service Manager and he waived the charge.

When checking out, I think I figured out why they were pissy... she told me they had no record of the bike being serviced. I told her I serviced it myself. She asked if I bought the parts from them, and I told her that I got them from the dealer 5 miles from my house instead of travelling the 50+ miles to their store. I guess they were pissed that they weren't getting the revenue for service and were going to penalize me. I was firm in that it was in that condition when I took posession, that it is a warranty issue, and that this was the first chance to get it in to the dealer for service since I got the bike.

The guy explained that the '07's have the dual clamps rather than the one-piece clamp, and that they are easily knocked in and out of alignment due to the design. They don't have the flames one-piece clamp (I don't think they have any for that matter) for the 1 1/4" bars yet, so I'll wait and see if they make one available one day soon. Meanwhile, you can "adjust" it by turning full lock as noted, or getting a buddy to clamp the front tire with his legs as they tried when I first brought it in... pretty poor design in my opinion.

Roger

Old 09-22-2007, 12:08 PM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's the thread with some great feedback!

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2182865/m...tm.htm#2182865

Old 09-22-2007, 04:06 PM
harleydad
Cruiser

adjust by tighting the dogbone bolts in sequence.
it takes slight adjustment to all 4 as you go.
it will move the bars an amaziing amount!
trial and error.

Old 09-22-2007, 04:09 PM
harleydad
Cruiser

I was taught this by an indy. lic.HD cert. mech. of 30 years.
It works, don't reef on the bars! or the forks!

Old 09-22-2007, 07:29 PM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks harleydad.

Please forgive me, but are the "dogbone bolts" those that hold down the chrome covers that are holding downthe handlebar to the riser? I haven't heard that reference before and just want to make sure I understand.

(I'm waiting on the '08 service manual to come out, so I haven't read a technical description about any of the individual parts yet)

hard-over yanks on the bars doesn't sound like a good fix. (your reference to "reef on the bars", right?)

Old 09-22-2007, 07:36 PM
Trotter
Banned

HarleyDad You are dead on right..We fix that problem every day by just adjusting the 4 clamp bolts in the right sequence,Rubber Bushing or polly Ur... It's not the riser bushings.. Altho if ya have 16" apes Polly's it'll make them solid..