Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Medallion on the back of a Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 07:35 PM
csbreeze
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Medallion on the back of a Heritage

Gentlemen if you change the passangerback rest on your Heritage and have a raised medallion on the back of the sissy bar get ready. You will have to order the Medallian from harley if you want the original look or change the screw plus possibly drill to make it go flushto put an adhesive one on. The one you take off is toast. Really peed me off when I change the seat then back rest for the passanger to find the madallion broke. Stealer said no way to stop it from breaking. Just thought I would post so those that do what I did arent supprised.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:38 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Factory Medallion on the back of a Heritage

ORIGINAL: csbreeze

Gentlemen if you change the passangerback rest on your Heritage and have a raised medallion on the back of the sissy bar get ready. You will have to order the Medallian from harley if you want the original look or change the screw plus possibly drill to make it go flushto put an adhesive one on. The one you take off is toast. Really peed me off when I change the seat then back rest for the passanger to find the madallion broke. Stealer said no way to stop it from breaking. Just thought I would post so those that do what I did arent supprised.
Those R&D guys at HD think of everything. "Hmmm, I got an idea, let's make the medallion non removable so when they want to change out the seat back they'll have to buy another one. Ching Ching.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:55 PM
csbreeze
Road Warrior

Yea really. Everything on a Harley you tinker with. That I suppose is the enduring part of the bike for us. For HD is the money maker. I like buying new motorcycles due to I can make it all mine. Harleys in my oppinion have a bit of the 1st owners attitude that goes with it because of the tinkering you can do to them.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:22 AM
BGHFD
Cruiser

What year Heritage do you have? I have an '03 and mine seemed to come off fine and go back on afterwards. Maybe time just weakend the glue?

Old 12-18-2007, 07:01 PM
csbreeze
Road Warrior

I have a 2006. Thereare 3 collars that have a grabbing type minitooth that will not let it back out after inserted into the sissy bar. When you put the PLASTIC grrr medallian with its 3 round poles into the collars the collar will act like a wall anchor. The collars expand. The medallian is raised in the center because it has to cover a screw head that is rather large. Your must be a flat screw that glue medalians can go on. 2006 arent. HD figured a way to make a sell since those typed worked too well.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:34 PM
Hrd Rider
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2008 Heritage, bought a 105th Anniversary Medallion to put on back of sissy bar. Removed the strap with the 2 screws at bottom of backrest and then realized there had to be a screw holding the backrest on which I thought was attached to the factory medallion. So I turned the backpad until I had it unscrewed from sissy bar only to find out the factory medallion had 2 pins and a guide press fitted into sissy bar and that the screw was seperate.I then removed factory med only to find a pan head screw underneath thus dampening my plans of putting a 105 med stick on onmy sissy bar without basterdizing mySB to accept a flathead screw. Then I put all back together and last I pressed my factory medin place by pressing with both hands, it went on fine and is tight as before it was removed. Lucky mine didn't break. I also wanted a 105 med for the front fender but since thefender is convex you can only get the 105 med if you buy HD'S $399 Kit, I wonder sometimes why I buy HD'S, they reallyrip you off no matter what accessories you add on. Just my gripe,sorry your med broke csbreeze.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:23 PM
csbreeze
Road Warrior

My problem is going to be solved for 14 dollars and change. Sorry to hear your problem. I would just stick something on it that would work. Anything to cover the ugly scew. HD they know how to **** a person off.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:37 PM
06train
Road Warrior

H=Hundred
D=Dollar-------------- --------------H.D.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:57 PM
Flying Pilgrim
Road Master

I removed mine with a heat gun andplastic putty knife. No problems at all. Then used "Goof Off" to remove residue, applied double sided tape, and reapplied. Hope this helps.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:10 AM
DMSC
Road Master

Yeah, I broke mine off when I installed the Mustang back rest pad on the sissy bar. No big thing to me as I was planning to install a stick on H-D medallion anyway. I did have to counter bore the mounting hole for the back rest pad.

Hey, compared to some of the must more expensive things I've HAD to do on my bike...this was CHEAP!

Quick Reply: Factory Medallion on the back of a Heritage